Getting The Low-down At Thurne

Oddfellow

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Drone shot - really. 

Don't mind if I do :default_2gunsfiring_v1:  Bit different from shooting clays   :default_norty:

Griff

Whole lot more illegal though. 

I fail to understand why people are so unhappy with drones. I can stick a 500m lens in you face from 200 yards and see your bogies whereas at 200 yards, drones costing less that £10k would struggle to have enough definition to determine your gender. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I fail to understand why people are so unhappy with drones. 

Once or twice a year some numpty hovers over our garden, maybe more often, but noticable when having a bbq etc. Invasion of privacy springs to mind. Appreciate this pilot may not represent the majority but I hate the things for this reason alone.

If you have drone over a certain weight you have to have a licence and be registered, renewable every 12 months. There are very strict rules on where you can and cannot fly, particularly in relation to the proximity of people, there are set distances and heights that must be adhered too.

20 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Whole lot more illegal though. 

I fail to understand why people are so unhappy with drones. I can stick a 500m lens in you face from 200 yards and see your bogies whereas at 200 yards, drones costing less that £10k would struggle to have enough definition to determine your gender. 

Noise for a start, that huge swarm of bees they power them, with is very intrusive when hovering over your head.

And if I'd have had a shot gun, I'd have taken out the one flying down the backs of the houses on our street, looking in our back gardens..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Noise for a start, that huge swarm of bees they power them, with is very intrusive

I agree with that. There was one came over our garden where we used to live and I was looking for where the swarm of bees could be. 

Whilst I appreciate there may be some jest in the suggestions of taking down a drone, it's worth pointing out that that amounts to criminal damage and it's something that worries me still as I had someone threaten me with a shotgun whilst inebriated for flying near them. The A-hole accused me of watching him urinate in his garden where the irony (lost on him) is that his garden has approximately 80ft of river frontage with a well-used footpath directly opposite. 

To quash some other myths. My small drone is barely audible when in flight (yes, my large one is noisy, by no noisier than a BMC 1.5, the sound of which is rarely commented on) and the wide, fixed focal length of the majority of these cameras provided little real opportunity for privacy invasion in terms of photographs of video unless  relatively close (though technology improvements will change this). 

There are strict laws covering drone usage, but it's important to note that a drone that's less that 250g in weight can be flown almost anywhere including in housing estates. Of course, you shouldn't invade privacy with it, but equally, you shouldn't do 7mph on the Ant either......

• Like 1

This seems to be another case, as with so many things, of a minority spoiling something for everyone including responsible pilots.

I often see stunning images of our village and the coast and I have never yet heard the drone(s) that take them.

Lots of us are dog owners and you'll all know how we suffer for the irresponsible ones. Same thing really

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jemaki said:

If you have drone over a certain weight you have to have a licence and be registered, renewable every 12 months. There are very strict rules on where you can and cannot fly, particularly in relation to the proximity of people, there are set distances and heights that must be adhered too.

Do registered drone users have registration marks on their drones? If so looks like I need a telescopic sight just to be sure. Gun, catapult, kite and barage balloons can then be ordered. Said in jest of course, downing one could be very dangerous for anyone in the way of a crash landing which is my next worry after privacy.

Seriously though, this particular drone does seem to be a biggy so may be commercial and I have seen it also following the nearby railway line at times. The back garden fly pasts do make me curious... if its big brother are we about to get taxed for how many square meters of vegetable patch or hard landscaping we have?

44 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Do registered drone users have registration marks on their drones? . . . . . . . .

Yes, they do.  New laws that came into effect at the end of December 2020 are now in force.  Toy drones under 250gms, can be flown by anyone unless they are fitted with a camera when a formal registration must be completed by passing an online test.  We are currently in a transitional period when drones manufactured before the new regulations were imposed can be flown following strict criteria, however the restrictions are reduced by an drone operator taking an online course and passing an invigilated test set by the CAA.  Holders of the certificate (called the A2 Certificate of Competence) will have additional entitlements at the end of the transitional period when operating the forthcoming Classified drones.

If anyone sees me out and about with my aircraft (as they are called) I have taken and passed both  the Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Scheme test and my A2 C of C.

As Andrew pointed out above, the lenses on most prosumer level drones are wide angle, so if flown at a reasonable height wouldn’t cause an invasion of privacy, certainly no more so than the images shown on Google Maps.

My interest in using drones is simply to extend my interest in photography and to get different images of places we visit, where permissible.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

My interest in using drones is simply to extend my interest in photography and to get different images of places we visit, where permissible.

It's the general hostility to drones on here which stops them being shared now. We're all poorer for it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

This is what got me into it. More recently, I have been using them for video too and a couple of weeks ago went to North Yorkshire on a job providing drone videography services for a Television pilot as a result of someone seeing my drone work on YouTube.  Because of that job, I bought a DJI Mini 2 drone (which took the shot that started this debate) which I can fly almost anywhere because its weight hugely lowers the risks of flight. It's an awesome flying camera that I am sure will get significantly more use than my large drone because of its portability. I will continue to share drone shots of the Broads here that I have taken responsibly and legally. 

Don't forget to take a look at some of my videos either: this is a short showreel of Mostly Drone clips of some of your favourite locations - https://youtu.be/HjKmXUn9_5M  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Do registered drone users have registration marks on their drones?

Yes, but they don't have to be visible to spotters on the ground. Characters need to be a minimum of 3mm tall and the marks can be put inside battery compartments and so on, just so long as they can be found without having to use tools. 

As has been said elsewhere, there are a number of idiots out there to give responsible pilots a bad name and it's an easy target right now. Not at all dissimilar to the inevitable comments about poor handovers when someone slips into the river or runs aground on Breydon. On the other hand, it's far removed barrage of calls to Ban Driving when there's there's a crash on the Acle Straight that halts traffic for hours. Oh, wait. That doesn't happen. 

I guess we can choose what we like and don't like to have a moan about or an opinion on, but there are many parallels that most of us would choose to ignore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

It's the general hostility to drones on here which stops them being shared now. We're all poorer for it. 

Yeah, agreed. Unfortunately it was a few idiots over the last few years which have gotten drones a really bad name. I've always flown carefully and well away from people I wasn't with, but I've seen some really stupid flying too and that's why they're now banned by landowners in a lot of places on the Broads.

Launching from a boat remains the 'easiest' option in that regard although anyone who has done it will know just how scary launching from and landing on (or catching from) a boat is! Drones stay perfectly on the spot, but boats do not.

That's one area in which the larger drones such as the Phantom were much better as the longer legs meant you could more easily land on a boat or riverbank. But you can't put a Phantom in your pocket, and you can get leg extensions for the smaller models.

I sold my Mavic Pro last summer, having not used it for about a year and because they're an expensive thing to have sitting around idle. I have been tempted by the Mini 2, though. It's very good for the price.

4 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

. . . . . . . . .I bought a DJI Mini 2 drone (which took the shot that started this debate) which I can fly almost anywhere because its weight hugely lowers the risks of flight. It's an awesome flying camera . . . . . . 

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

. . . . . . . . . I have been tempted by the Mini 2, though. It's very good for the price.

Agreed.  I have a Mavic Air 2 and a Mini 2 and both produce amazing results.  Both have the ability to shoot RAW for additional scope to edit the images.

I’ve attached a few shots taken from the country park behind our previous home to illustrate the quality.  They were shot at an altitude of about 50m with the Mini 2.

CFCF3DD0-D91A-4C3B-A1BE-5E06FC74DC1B.jpeg

8E71BFB5-6435-4D87-B748-C7F86635C804.jpeg

2D1E0FBD-C532-4A81-8C84-06296A5D4A0E.jpeg

• Like 3

whilst on my daily constitutional the other week I heard the familiar hornet buzz of a drone, drowning out the pleasant sound of the bumble bees going about their duties, sure enough several minutes later I came across the operator, flying the thing, not a problem for me, but had i been a young courting couple it may well have been a different matter, there is a lot of responsibility that goes with owning and operating a drone, what one person may not consider intrusive, could well be seen as being a peeping tom by someone going about their own private affairs.

This brings a whole raft of issues with it when the videos are posted online, should someone portrayed in the video take offence, then the website that it is being displayed on becomes responsible for their content and can be liable for prosecution if they do not remove the offending footage, the same goes for any drone footage shot illegaly, while the operator is liable, so is any website that displays the material.

As we have seen these things are being tightened up in law and regulation, eg now requiring licences and certificates to operate, etc

• Like 1