A Bolt Of Lightning

snunn

April 24th 2021

A bolt of Lightning

Day 1 of our 2 week trip

So Saturday finds us driving up from Cornwall we left early and made good progress little traffic and no hold ups saw us arrive at the boat around 2:30 we have brought provisions with us so no need to stop off shopping.

We are soon onboard and unpacking making the beds and soon all is done , I go for a short walk just to stretch the legs after sitting for 7 hours and then back to the boat continue with the sorting out and then dinner and an early night.

Sunday dawn’s with clear blue skies but it soon clouds over we are still moored in the Marina as we will visit family locally before setting of on our adventure. A cooked breakfast was requested and it was delicious,once ready we went out shopping as we had only brought a few essentials with us ,that done we returned to the boat ,we were going to the Yare for a beer or 2 but it had turned decidedly chilly so we changed our minds just had another walk instead ,tomorrow we head down to Suffolk to visit Micks sister and we will leave the mooring upon our return and the trip begins in earnest.

• Like 10

Day 3

Had a lovely visit with Micks sister yesterday haven’t seen them since last July sat out in their garden luckily enough it was sheltered from the wind still chilly though,we stayed much longer than planned so didn’t get back onboard until 5:30 , cooked a simple meal later and watched a film before turning in got a bit cold by then when the sun had gone.

So up this morning waiting for the kettle to boil and after breakfast we will be setting off as yet not sure where we are going it will just be good to get moving .

• Like 4

Finally set off around 10:30 headed towards Reedham quite nice up top in the sun but wind for me a little chilly , after a while turned around and arrived and moored in Rockland Staithe on the power so all good , enjoyed a beer in the New Inn and are now settled down ready to prepare dinner and the evening.

Tomorrow I think we may head to Loddon lots of choice to eat and a great cruise to get there .

• Like 1

Day 4

Up early this morning after not a great nights sleep , we have decided to go to Loddon today as will have options for dinner tonight.Take our time having breakfast and think we will have a walk before setting off ,not sure what happened but we didn’t get the walk left about 10am at which point we were the only boat left it was lovely and sunny but as soon as we reached the broad we realised how windy it was , but we wanted to be outside so prepared and dressed for that I even had a throw to wrap up in !

Leisurely cruise along the Yare not many boats pass us either way and depending on our direction it was either lovely in the sun or blooming freezing in the wind , past Cantley and on to the Chet mouth , we have been down here before but it seemed narrower to me I guess a lot of the reeds have infringed on the river ,very steady cruise along was a little less windy but not by much Pyes Mill had only one boat moored we carried on to the Staithe as would prefer to be on the power as it’s chilly at night and we have electric rads. Several spaces to choose from wind a bit of a challenge but in here now ,we have been for a walk it’s rather cold but the sun is lovely,we are having a curry dinner from the Raj tonight so a night off from cooking.

Just a recommendation last night we had stuffed chicken breasts from the Blofield farm shop they were absolutely delicious.

No idea about tomorrow will just wait and see where the day takes us.

• Like 5

Day 5

Not the best of days yesterday for a number of reasons firstly I slept so badly the night before woke about 2am could not get back to sleep ,the wind was loud the boats were all creaking I ended up reading until around 5 when I finally dropped off ,got up 7:30 it was very cold and I realised I didn’t feel too good bit of a sore throat and the start of a runny nose must have caught Griff and Mrs Gs cold but I swear I’ve not been anywhere near their grandkids.

so after a couple of hot drinks and some breakfast I felt a bit more lively popped off to the coop for a couple of bits ,when I got back Mick was topping up the water ready for off.Sat up top out of the Chet but by the time we reached the Yare I was really feeling lousy so I went down inside it wasn’t long before Mick joined me.

We had thought of going to Bramerton and eating in the pub but in reality I didn’t feel like it so we returned to Rockland where I spent the rest of the afternoon laying down under my fleecy throw .

I forgot to say on Tuesday I somehow pulled a muscle at the top of my left leg and buttock it’s pretty sore right now ,and to go with that I have this stupid frozen right shoulder I’ve had almost a year now and have very restricted movement of my right arm, all in all I’m a right crock!

Up now tea just served and it’s bright and sunny I’m feeling ok at the moment so let’s hope it stays that way ,think we will head to Bramerton today for a meal out will see later when we set off never are sure where we will end up.

68E95CB7-AB49-4A47-9817-90C3A614300F.jpeg

35FF59F7-F122-4B47-A724-F29435C29A5C.jpeg

• Like 2

Days 6&7

Well nothing much really we left Bremerton with the intension of finding somewhere we could moor and eat and have shore power , we sat up top and when the sun was out it was ok but in the wind and rain not so good,headed to Reedham but the weather closed in and it was looking so unlikely we would be able to eat outside we turned around went through Rockland broad thinking we could moor at the Staithe but it had started raining so it was unlikely the pub would be serving food as he has no covered space.

As we had run out of fresh food the option really was to pop back into the Marina shop and head off out again, when we got back to the boat it was pouring with rain so we decided to try the East Hills Bistro which claimed to have covered heated terrace , didn’t feel that warm but we were shown a table and had a very enjoyable meal .

Sunday was bright first thing so off we headed I’m still not feeling great and today was not a good one we sauntered down to Rockland but couldn’t get on the power a private boat was moored side on and ignored us , we had a trip up to Bramerton that was also full and by now we had had rain sun and hail back again to the Marina a beer in the Yare and a late lunch not the greatest but as I didn’t cook it I was happy.

Woke today feeling a bit brighter but I think we have decided to take a trip out in the car today not sure yet things may change weather the rest of this week looking dodgy to say the least.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snunn said:

we sauntered down to Rockland but couldn’t get on the power a private boat was moored side on and ignored us

If that was on the stern on end I'd have rafted up to it and clambered across it.

That's a shame Susan. I think I would have been tempted to report that boat at Rockland. We haven't moored at Bramerton very often, but have noticed that it tends to be busy at weekends.

We were tempted to return south this morning to hunker down in Brooms. However, that's what we've done the last few trips when there have been high winds, so we decided to brave it out this time.

Hope the rest of your week goes ok. It's quite nice going somewhere by car from Brundall.

Hope the second week of your holiday goes better. It’s certainly staying cold for this time of year. And the heavy showers would not have been nice to be out in. We got a lovely walk yesterday morning, sat in for the afternoon and then a nice walk before tea. A case of making the most of the times when the skies were blue. 

Final Days

Didn’t enjoy the last couple of days I’ve not slept well both frozen right shoulder and pulled left leg muscle have seen to that added to that this head cold refused to shift.

We went out 2 days in the car enjoyed it but it’s not what we came for so decided to end trip early and go home.

We saw a good deal of wildlife lots of marsh harriers a few kingfishers some nesting geese and swans deer in surrounding fields and a couple of little dippers just up from Brundall.

Happy to report finally my leg is feeling better and I’ve shaken off the cold at last , frozen shoulder an ongoing problem still very painful.

Had a reasonable journey home and I can only say I do hope our trip back in July is somewhat warmer and less wet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Such a shame that after all the trials of this last year your trip didn’t work out better. Spring just seems to have turned back to something more like winter. We’ve still got our heating on all day and that’s ridiculous for May. Which doesn’t help if you’re not feeling well. It’s felt like a very long few months. Let’s all hope for brighter and warmer days ahead. 

• Like 1