• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Live 'carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How wonderful to be on the Broads again! A few showers just as we were starting off, but once we were on the river we somehow managed to dodge them. Turned up the Chet and are now ensconced on a Loddo

Started off from Acle early this morning and have already completed our cruising for the day, having moored up by the electric point at Irstead. Not quite as sheltered as Neatistead, but we should be

Guess what...we changed our minds yet again. We did come north after all. Currently on Acle BA moorings. Got here about an hour ago and slotted in, unfortunately just a boat length away from bein

Posted Images

:default_rofl:

Oops, forgot that Graham left those in place this morning. He'd taken in the rubber car mat that he'd placed over the hatch but hadn't taken in the bungee cords holding it down. It's an experiment to see if he can cut down on the condensation that forms on the hatch. 

There is (sometimes) a method behind our madness.

• Haha 1

The two boats that were moored at the Staithe entrance have gone, so there's now lots of room for anyone looking for a sheltered mooring.

IMG_20210504_111908358_HDR.thumb.jpg.dfffdfa18d77a460d5f8219b011e56d2.jpg

• Like 2

Chap in the yacht without the mast is a liveaboard. Was speaking to him a few weeks back,  and he's been on that since COVID hit.

Same size as mine - I couldn't imagine spending a year on a 23' yacht .....

Yes, especially as we have shore power again. Late morning we couldn't work out why there was power on the electric posts but the power on board had cut out. None of our our switches had tripped. 

Fortunately our management company's local agent arranged for an engineer to come out to us from Horning who fixed a problem with the wiring of our shore power cable. 

So, we are happy bunnies again.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Taken earlier on Barton Broad and Sutton Broad.

IMG_20210504_082932007.thumb.jpg.6cf6b0004ec8c8fbfc3c0f7d28334a9f.jpg

IMG_20210504_092433397.thumb.jpg.cec6df97fb05eea63cdf643f720d855d.jpg

I prefer my Barton crossings a tad warmer 20180721_160949.thumb.jpg.dd7d84d069f5b0de55825faa98af690d.jpg.6d7314d6d2138687ab7246fc7cec77c4.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

an engineer to come out to us from Horning who fixed a problem with the wiring of our shore power cable

That reminds me of the issue we had on Swan Reflection. The inverter was fine until we were on shore power and then it tripped out. The engineer's answer was that the yard had given us the wrong cable for that boat.

Well, today has been a bit of a cruise! Left Neatistead before 8.30 and only moored up about half an hour or so ago (6.45'ish).

We had intended to go to Beccles but just past St Olaves we started to doubt if we could get there in time to get a card for the electric posts from the Yacht Station Master. 

We spun around downstream of the abandoned railway bridge and went up (or is it down?) the New Cut.

We wanted to find a mooring with electric, water and access to a food shop, so we tried Loddon. The Staithe was full, so we travelled all the way back down the Chet and up the Yare to our home mooring in Brundall. Plugged into the lecky, dimplex warming up the boat nicely and Graham has gone off in the car to Co-op.

Time to relax after a very long day. 

It's raining again, but we really can't complain having had mostly good weather today. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Well, today has been a bit of a cruise! Left Neatistead before 8.30 and only moored up about half an hour or so ago (6.45'ish).

We had intended to go to Beccles but just past St Olaves we started to doubt if we could get there in time to get a card for the electric posts from the Yacht Station Master. 

We spun around downstream of the abandoned railway bridge and went up (or is it down?) the New Cut.

We wanted to find a mooring with electric, water and access to a food shop, so we tried Loddon. The Staithe was full, so we travelled all the way back down the Chet and up the Yare to our home mooring in Brundall. Plugged into the lecky, dimplex warming up the boat nicely and Graham has gone off in the car to Co-op.

Time to relax after a very long day. 

It's raining again, but we really can't complain having had mostly good weather today. 

Wow, Helen, you must really like having electric. Is it worth it? I've never bothered myself, I like my freedom to moor wherever.

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Wow, Helen, you must really like having electric. Is it worth it? I've never bothered myself, I like my freedom to moor wherever.

Me too mate. I'm moored near Norwich and have no leccy, still warm and comfy though 😊

I had wondered where you had chosen for today's destination Helen. What a long cruise that was.

I haven't done the crossing north to south or vice versa yet. We fully intend to do it one day, probably hire on the north and then get to the south. But I would want 5 or 6 days on the other side rather than only 1 or 2 days as a lot of people seem to do.

Certainly been a better day. I got out for a walk before I started work and it was beautiful.

Having leccy is not really needed, but once you have it, life becomes a lot easier.

On a cold/windy/wet night snuggling in the cabin with the fan heater going, the telly on and the wine open it does not matter what is happening outside.

Then when lights out time putting the oil heater on for through the night background warmth is bliss, being of that age of midnight visits.

Nothing wrong with not having this luxury but once you have had it,.

Would you turn the central heating off at home?

Wear your hair shirt if you want, I prefer my cashmere sweater. 

paul

• Like 2

It's now snowing here and the central heating is going up NOT off.

From darkest Northumberland (it's in the far north) the wine is open so.

Good night to all.

paul

2 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Having leccy is not really needed, but once you have it, life becomes a lot easier.

I don't doubt that at all, just not sure I'd go many extra miles to seek it out.

During our winter cruises , having hook up is one of our priorities , the oil fired radiators are so much more peaceful than the diesel heating , plus in the morning using the fan heater dries the condensation from the inside of the boat and awning far quicker 

• Like 3

That's just it, we know getting on an electric point isn't essential. We have hot water bottles and the Webasco, so we could do without and have done so quite happily in the past on chilly nights.  However, having the dimplex on in the evening is lovely, a luxury, but we have taken the trouble to bring it with us and it is much quieter compared to the Webasco, and we can keep it on all night.

• Like 3

I find it odd that someone would hire a very recently built boat that has 240v. They moor right next to an electric post, do not plug in, but run the engine a lot (not after 8pm I hasten to add).

I haven't mentioned what boat it was, as I do want to name and shame. Anyway, there might be a reasonable explanation, like Jean's case, where they had been given the wrong cable.

Guest Jayfire

If it makes you feel any warmer Helen, I have no electric so no heating, therefore I'm still wrapped up on this chilly morning in bed with a coffee and what was a full pack of biscuits watching my breath in the cold air 😄

Bliss 😊

It was a chilly night. When we took Seren out before bedtime I could feel the rain drops on the roof were turning Icy.

Guest Jayfire
33 minutes ago, grendel said:

Jay, get yourself to Roys, they have little 500w heaters reduced to £9.99

Where would I plug them in G??? 

Polite answers only thank you 😁