Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Stalham Staithe is somewhere I’d very much like to stop at, but what’s the chance of getting in there? Are the ‘rules’ on mooring restrictions being followed there nowadays?

With four of us on the boat, I’m guessing that I might need to do a more frequent ‘fridge’ shop. So, if we can’t moor at Wroxham (I.e. past the bridge) and Stalham Staithe turns out to be taken, what’s the policy at Richardson’s? Would they allow us to moor up for a couple of hours to visit Tesco’s? Can anyone advise on their policy on allowing that for syndicate boats?

Richardson's were happy with us mooring there in April, plugged into the electric and went to the office to pay and the lady said it was free!!  I even asked if she was sure as we're not a hire boat and it was still free! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I am headed that way tomorrow so I might take a look-see.

We tried to get in the staithe a few weeks ago and couldn't, we had a pumpout at Simpsons and they offered us an overnight mooring but at £20 for the night we declined, they did however let us stay whilst we walked to Tesco for supplies. 

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

I believe Richardson’s have a couple of visitor moorings, on the river as you turn into the yard. We’ve never used them but they are well known apparently. 

That's my preferred spot for an overnight at Richardson's because it feels like you're on a main river and not in a boatyard. 

IMG_20210603_165942_2.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jemaki said:

We tried to get in the staithe a few weeks ago and couldn't, we had a pumpout at Simpsons and they offered us an overnight mooring but at £20 for the night we declined, they did however let us stay whilst we walked to Tesco for supplies. 

We haven’t overnighted at Simpsons, but they’ve allowed us to moor for an hour or two, to allow us time to get to Tesco.  I’ve seen the visitor moorings as Richardson’s, but never moored there, although as Simon said, they’re just off the main river and look more acceptable than mooring in their main yard.

• Like 1

Simpsons is handy for Tesco being a much shorter walk carrying shopping than Richardsons is. We did chug down to the Staithe on our recent visit but it was full of course. Simpsons were very busy with day boats on that day but I guess it's always worth asking them. 

• Like 1

Can anyone advise what the river levels are like at present? We are hoping to get under Wroxham bridge on Monday or Tuesday, so I'm hoping the river levels have gone down again after all that rain last weekend.

I'm currently doing some last minute food shop planning, and not being able to get under Wroxham bridge would completely mess up my plans for a Roys food shop. 

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Can anyone advise what the river levels are like at present? We are hoping to get under Wroxham bridge on Monday or Tuesday, so I'm hoping the river levels have gone down again after all that rain last weekend.

I'm currently doing some last minute food shop planning, and not being able to get under Wroxham bridge would completely mess up my plans for a Roys food shop. 

We’ve moored at Barnes to go shopping.  Because of Norfolk  Lady’s length, we’ve stayed on the pontoon, but there should be plenty of room in the basin behind it.  They’ve not charged us for a stay of a couple of hours, but I am aware that they do charge for overnight mooring.  Just pop into their reception and let them know, or call in advance to check it’s okay.  You should be alright as long as it’s not a changeover day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If I recall correctly, we need 6'8" or 6'9". We have a notice on the dash showing the air-draft requirements with roof down and up, so I tend to be lazy about bothering to remember the figure.

The airdraft is 6’ 10” roof down and 7’ 10” with it up if I remember correctly.  That will probably be under a square bridge, like Ludham, so you may need a bit more under Wroxham, but BCBM do have an arrangement with the pilot if you’re not sure, as you probably are aware.

Have a good week!!

36 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Helen,

As far as I know the Pilot only takes hire boas through.

BCBM have an agreement with the bridge pilot now, think it started a couple of years ago.

Should be OK at 6ft 10" but the pilot will know for sure.  This link gives the river level a Hoveton Broad - https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6211  If it reads 0.38m then there's 6ft 10" at Wroxham bridge.  I've forgotten who but one of the forum members showed me this trick a while ago.

The other option is to take a look at Brinks webcam as this points at the height gauge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Helen,

As far as I know the Pilot only takes hire boas through.

I think thing have changed this year - the pilots will, upon payment £7.50 each way, take any boat through. They carry card machines too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

I think thing have changed this year - the pilots will, upon payment £7.50 each way, take any boat through. They carry card machines too

This is exciting news. We havent had the nerve to take our boat through yet

34 minutes ago, NeilB said:

If it reads 0.38m then there's 6ft 10" at Wroxham bridge. 

Thanks Neil, that's a really good hint. I see it's been down to 0.4 the last couple of tides, so not far off! Just praying it doesn't chuck it down the next few days!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Neil, that's a really good hint. I see it's been down to 0.4 the last couple of tides, so not far off! Just praying it doesn't chuck it down the next few days!

I’m on Lightning for a couple of hours tomorrow for an induction and back up for a few days from next Saturday - that’s when the heavy rain will start!!

• Sad 1