Hiring solo

Broads01

Just booked what will be my second hire of the year, being Crown Gem from Richardsons for 3 nights in October. I'll be on my own for the trip, my good lady having decided she's happy just to do our trip in late July and having got a bit chilly in October last time round. I'm an experienced hirer and very comfortable handling a boat on my own and fair play to Richardsons - just enter 1 person on the online booking form and away you go. Pacific Cruisers would have been equally happy.

What surprised me was Herbert Woods have a completely different policy - minimum 2 adults and wouldn't budge from it. It's their loss though - they actually had my first choice boat in Glimmering Light and I would have gone ahead with booking that if they'd allowed me to do so. Is this an insurance thing? As there really is no issue with one person handling a small boat alone I'm somewhat baffled.

I guess the main thing when cruising solo is to have decent length warps (mooring ropes) so that you can step off the boat whilst holding them.

I have noticed on occasions that mooring ropes on hire boats can be a bit skimpy.

I have noticed on occasions that mooring ropes on hire boats can be a bit skimpy.

Not just skimpy but of an entirely unsuitable marerial in our recent experience, basically thick baler twine, next to useless for accurate throwing over a cleat which makes it difficult to moor without getting off the boat which is always the safest way, mind you, those silly shoreside mooring rings make it impossible too.

....What surprised me was Herbert Woods have a completely different policy - minimum 2 adults and wouldn't budge from it. It's their loss though - they actually had my first choice boat in Glimmering Light and I would have gone ahead with booking that if they'd allowed me to do so. Is this an insurance thing? As there really is no issue with one person handling a small boat alone I'm somewhat baffled.

Hard to know really why they wouldn't do it.

It's good some operators will, but a shame that Woods sound to have a fairly set policy on it. I guess discretion is an ever increasingly rare thing in business, especially with large businesses, so good that Richardsons do it, and I assume therefore dont get thwarted with issues from it.

I have been on my own a couple of times for a few days and totally enjoyed it. It's great to get some truly clear head space and do and go totally where you want and when. I was planning on doing it once each year but other people had different ideas! :grin:

Have a great time, though as has been poointed out - goodness how you will get on alone with those funny rope things!! :naughty:

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

When i used to go on holiday in years gone by, some times it was with complete novices who did`nt like the idea of jumping ashore from a boat. I often ended up mooring up and setting off single handed with 3 or 4 others watching. It was never a problem on the northen broads, but coming alongside at places like Reedham at half tide used to take a bit of fwd planning, especially on a boat like Osprey which was a 42ft Alpha fwd dv?. Regards to all ................ Neil.

I think the expression - discretion - is the key here. A female family member had a bright idea that she could hire and go tootling off on her own with her young son. I do hope and trust that for a complete novice as that is what she would be, not a clue is another expression, boatyards would not let the hire go ahead.

People do not realise that boating on the broads is not akin to taking a boat on the lake. There are tides to consider and in bad weather windy weather can make it a whole new ball game. As a Mum I would have kittens about letting a youngster with a young child go off on a hire boat. It is bad enough when there are two adults on board.

I strongly suspect that anybody totally unable to handle a craft, and by that I mean somebody completely without a scooby (either solo or multi crew) would be picked up on handover, at least I would hope so. It would be interesting to learn if this has actually happened.

we have refused to hand boats over in the past but only a couple of times and not recently, it is done after a few trial run attempts by different persons if neccessary and sometimes the next morning to help with settling in, on these rare occaisons we have taken the boat to different moorings and left them for a couple of days before bringing them back, I personally took a 'older' couple out for about a 3 hour trip a few years ago as they had been in the yard most of the week. Also I think it was the year before last a elderly couple were too scared to use the boat, luckilly we were fully booked so knew we would re book the boat, we sent them to one of our holiday villages and they have been back there a few times since :grin:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
we have refused to hand boats over in the past but only a couple of times and not recently, it is done after a few trial run attempts by different persons if neccessary and sometimes the next morning to help with settling in, on these rare occaisons we have taken the boat to different moorings and left them for a couple of days before bringing them back, I personally took a 'older' couple out for about a 3 hour trip a few years ago as they had been in the yard most of the week. Also I think it was the year before last a elderly couple were too scared to use the boat, luckilly we were fully booked so knew we would re book the boat, we sent them to one of our holiday villages and they have been back there a few times since :grin:

Are you sure that was`nt last year Clive?, as when we had a pumpout done in your yard in early June, an elderly couple came in after being out for one night (i think) on one of your Horizon 35s, and were talking about going to one of your holiday centres. They`d hired the boat for 2 weeks, and decided it was`nt for them after only one night. What i found a bit strange was there were only two of them on a Horizon 35, and they complained that the boat was TOO SMALL! How much space do two people need?. Regards .................... Neil.

hi Neil,

it was not a one off we have sent older couples to the over 50s sites and kept families happy at our family parks it is good to be able to accommodate customers when things are not as hoped they would be...

And I have to say Clive that is a wholly commendable policy as boating isn't everyones cup of tea, yet a happy holiday customer is usually a returning happy holiday customer. Now can I have broadsman for an afternoon on my own please ?? Lol

if you can drive a boat and are willing to pay the money then there is no reason why not, how far from Stalham are you going to get in an afternoon? we drive boats round the yard all the time on our own with no dramas perhaps if you asked for a boat with interior steps or access which is not so great then we may steer you toward a more suitable boat cheersbar

:wave hi clive talking of handling boats, over the past couple of days ive seen some people on the webcam chat complain about not being able to get onto the boats anymore, as they had a disibility problem, & they had both been going on the broads for years, which is rather sad it seems that nobody makes boats for the disabled, i think ive only seen a couple of charity day boats that do that, maybe there's a niche in the market for some of them types of boats, will you ever make anything like that clive ? it does seem a pity when they'd been going all them years,not to be able to go now, :( lori

Swancraft will, and do, hire to single handed boaters. However they prefer to do this for customers who they know have the experience. For example mooring at Reedham would need care but perfectly feasible if you plan ahead and have ropes ready which you can deploy quickly.

I’ve moored up single handedly on the Yare on several occasions when Mrs Nog has been having a snooze. :naughty:

cheersbar

This thread seams to be following two lines being single handed and less able or less keen. Could someone not offer a skippered charter they could perhaps be chief cook and bottle washer as well. Could perhaps teach helmsman certificate at the same time. I did consider this for Crackerjack when work was quiet but not sure I could handle someone else sleeping on my boat whilst I was in a tent or the local b&b .

Jonathan :Stinky

Freedom often hires boats out to single people, but not before speaking to them in relation to their experience and providing some guidance and ideas, and limitiing the size of boat to something that's appropriate.

We were hesitant recently to let a single chap on a day boat. The weather was pretty blustery and single handed piloting of day boats in windy conditions can be tricky to say the least. However, on the day, it was perfectly calm and he had a great time.

As for ropes, all mooring warps should be at least 3/4 of the length of the boat.