'broad Ambition' - 20% - Share For Sale

There are five 20% shares in 'B.A'  and four owners

One of our formative owners who has been involved with 'B.A' from the very beginning has decided it is time for him to part company with 'B.A'

Therefore as from now his 20% share is up for sale.  He is asking £12'500.  I have had 'B.A' valued recently, the top valuations coming at £75k but he would be happy to accept £12'500

'B.A's running costs per year amount to around £3'500-ish (Not including maintenance and repairs) as a turn key ready to go craft.  Therefore each owner is responsible for £700 per year.  There are no further costs due until the insurance - August and home Berth - November

Obviously diesel / pump outs and daily running costs are down to the onboard skipper at any given time they are out and about on the rivers

The current owners,  that is mysen, Bro' Howard and Robin would expect any potential new owner to jointly take care of 'B.A' as we all have / do, both physically and financially

Anyone seriously considering becoming an owner / custodian of Broad Ambition then contact me via these pages or directly on 07966 168647,

Thanks,

Griff

• Like 2

If I could wipe off 10 years, and be in my 63rd year,instead of my 73rd I would bite your hand off!

Sadly, only this morning, I gave notice that I will not be taking my place in our syndicate in the upper Ant Valley for the up coming season. 

Walking up game, through Carr, in chest waders is now beyond me, as is many aspects of boating.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

News - I have this morning received an offer to buy Deggers share of 'B.A'  

Full asking price too as it should be considering Degger is asking below market value.

Anyroadup I have told the potential custodian to hang fire until he has been onboard and evaluated him and him me and 'B.A' of course.

The good thing is, I have known this chap for about 35 years so it could be a match made in Gods Country.

Griff

• Like 13

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's another enquiry received today.  That makes two from Apollo Duck, and three from FB

Griff

Carries on like that Griff. You will have to build another :default_coat:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Well, there is another share we could move on.  Me and Bro' own a fifth share between us, maybe we could move that on and relieve ourselves of the financial burden as there is no benefit on time afloat to having it

Griff

Unless you intend to die in harness, between the shafts! Surely there would be when you retire.

What I meant was that if we were to divide up the weeks per year for each share timeshare fashion then currently each share could claim 10:5 weeks afloat, that means me and Bro' could claim nearly sixteen weeks afloat - even retired I would never manage that much time per year on the rivers - Would not want to, tbh. 

Just five shareholders looking after and using 'B.A' is a good balance imho

Also by letting our two half share go that would save each of us a chunk of money in yearly running costs not to mention the maintenance and upgrades .  We all would still have ten weeks each that we could potentially claim.  Plus my half of the share sale means I could get my Dutton Phaeton sorted and back on the road.  Thing is would I have the time to use the thing?  Come retirement - yes

We will just have to see how things pan out.  Our biggest concern is that any new potential share holder is committed to looking after 'B.A' in the manner that we have done since we recommissioned her. Having discussed the issue between the current custodians, potentially it may happen

Griff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just five shareholders looking after and using 'B.A' is a good balance imho

From my experience of being in larger syndicates, I think 4-6 owners is pretty much where the sweet spot is.

Fewer than that and the costs get a bit scary, more than that and it just becomes too messy to manage and difficult to get a consensus on anything so maintenance doesn't get done until it's desperately needed.

• Like 1

Hi Griff as to your hard graft and expertise on maintaining B  A who will undertake all the work you've already put in to B A and in future years to come have you ever thought on training some one to do what you do and come in to the Share syndicate? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldgregg said:

From my experience of being in larger syndicates, I think 4-6 owners is pretty much where the sweet spot is.

Fewer than that and the costs get a bit scary, more than that and it just becomes too messy to manage and difficult to get a consensus on anything so maintenance doesn't get done until it's desperately needed.

Totally agreed.

I cant deny that me and the Mrs had a fairly long conversation about BAs share but with the kids still in school the opportunity to use more than the 2 weeks Thunder gives us is not really there. 

• Like 1

Hi Griff as to your hard graft and expertise on maintaining B  A who will undertake all the work you've already put in to B A and in future years to come have you ever thought on training some one to do what you do and come in to the Share syndicate? 

I (We) will carry on as long as physically able to do so.  As for training someone, well I am self taught and learnt through watching, listening and asking, gaining experience as I progressed - Still doing so.  Never be afraid to ask or defer.

I could only train someone younger if they wanted to be a custodian / share holder.  Having a gift for being good with my hands helps.  Other than that, the present custodians all bring some benefit to the table both hands on and / or sourcing / researching to various degrees, as a team we work well and achieve much together. 

The NBN Forum is also a great resource / asset if one needs advice

Griff

• Like 2

Update,

The potential new share holders were onboard for a day / overnight last weekend.  Tis looking favourable but until finances actually changes bank accounts the deal is not done yet.  Assuming it goes through, then I will have to invest in some serious boat handling skills with him / her not to mention 'B.A's onboard systems.

Then there is another couple interested too.  They are previous boat owners on the Broads (And forum members) so they will be an easier prospect - He says optimistically 

Griff

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Ok, the deal is done. 'B.A' has a new custodian.  A family of five plus one very friendly dog.  They have replaced our Degger.  You will no doubt see them afloat with me n MrsG with some serious and intense RYA instructor type training over the next month or so

That leaves other potential owners due onboard soon to evaluate

Griff

• Like 9

The shared ownership model is to be applauded, especially when it keeps history alive as BA does, thinking back to the early 80s I can recall an instance where a so called lover of wooden boats would simply buy one from a boatyard, with the desire of keeping it in good order only to run a mile from the yard and then give up as the repair costs became unviable, abandon, buy another one, then another one at the same time even as they seemingly became so cheap it was like 'banger cruising'. A lot of what would have been lovely boats to see around now sadly saw their last voyage via the the bonfire as boats were hellmed into the sky. Fortunately the best of the said lovers fleet of fancy has survived but by luck not design. The boats would have been fully utilised under a shared ownership model but definitely wouldn't have seen maintenance costs multiplied by the number of owners, almost the exact opposite, and some instances of neglect would not have occurred with, e.g., a decent cover for, say, 1/4 of the price per owner!

• Like 1