Cats Aboard.

Polly

Meet Holly. We are taking Bootlegger out for the May 22nd weekend. 
Dave Jessica and I will be aboard, but will Holly?

Phill and I did take Cleo sailing once, she loved bits of it, but I was stressed in case we lost her. 

She will wear a harness and lead. Cleo had a small life jacket that she hated, I am not sure I kept it, but Whelptons have these for dogs in various sizes including Chihuahuas. 

Holly is happy in the car, very clever and intrepid, she could love the whole thing.  I am really not sure...

25CF5FC3-4B15-472A-91FA-E40B068F21A5.jpeg

CD171E99-7904-4C16-A258-5DA4F055254A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We have had two cats, both of whom have loved being on board our motor cruiser. The first was introduced as a kitten, but the other was two years old for his first cruise. We have a private mooring, and on arrival we let the cat(s) out of the cage, and they immediately ran to the boat. In a  certain mooring spot they were also allowed to roam and always came back. However, you mentioned sailing, do you mean with sails? That might not be such a good idea and space will be much more limited.  The sailing motion might also be a problem..

Good luck

Hi Puddleduck, thanks. Yes we are sailing. Cleo was not keen on that part of the adventure and took herself off into the ‘wine cooler’ we have under Brilliant’s saloon berths. Too much stamping about on the roof and creaking mast for her liking. She came out as soon as we stopped and was unconcerned. 
I have a large cat basket thing that fans out into a large secure bed. She can go in there for any bits we think need an extra layer of security. 
There is lots of room on Bootlegger, my only concern is not losing her. 

8 minutes ago, Polly said:

Hi Puddleduck, thanks. Yes we are sailing. Cleo was not keen on that part of the adventure and took herself off into the ‘wine cooler’ we have under Brilliant’s saloon berths. Too much stamping about on the roof and creaking mast for her liking. She came out as soon as we stopped and was unconcerned. 
I have a large cat basket thing that fans out into a large secure bed. She can go in there for any bits we think need an extra layer of security. 
There is lots of room on Bootlegger, my only concern is not losing her. 

I think not losing her would be my concern too, on the other hand, if she’s chipped you would have that reassurance. I used to watch The Narrowboat Experience on YouTube. They haven’t vlogged recently, but they did do a vlog a while back on how they cope with continuously cruising with cats. They also did a vlog with another couple who have a dog on how to keep your pets safe when canal cruising.

Seren did fall in one evening last week when we were on MS. She tried to jump onto the bank, not realising that Graham had her on quite a short lead. Oops! 

During the years we had a pet shop we often used to find we had a litter of kittens that had been brought in but were too young to be re-homed  so we used to keep them at home until they were. We used to take them with us  when we went to the boat at the weekends. We used to have  a collapsable dog pen that we used to put up in the cockpit and when we were actually cruising we used to pop the kittens in that to keep them safe. When we were babysittting my daughter's British Blue,  we used to put him on a cat harness and lead and let him settle wherever the mood took him which was usually up under the windscreen in the cockpit

Carole

• Like 1

Get her used to wearing a collar 24/7 and then used to a harness. At that point you can have her on a wander lead both on and off the  boat as well as being able to clip the lead to something solid when you need both hands for something else.

I see plenty of cats on leads from boats. Ours was never too bothered by it and is only excluded now by age.

I would think on the harness and lead she would be fine, while she may like water, full immersion might be a different matter, they always look so helpless when they come out after getting entirely wet, does she use a litter tray? we used to join 2 cat carriers using the doors and some sections of the 2" mesh plastic fence, and have a bed in one end and small litter tray in the other when introducing new cats to the brood, or if one needed isolating, we even used this arrangement to bring a rescue cat home from ipswich way, with no issues, you will want a litter tray aboard in case she is caught short.

Norfolk forecast is wet and gusty. I think Holly would be happier at home this trip. Had it been sunny and light winds forecast, I would have gone for it. 
Disappointing, but the sailing itself should be lively. I can’t wait. 

• Like 2