Oy! Slow Down Mate.

SteveO

Having just received the above "greeting" from a BA ranger as I passed through Horning, I was slightly miffed to see that my Garmin satnav was showing .my speed as 4.2 mph.  I checked my satnav on the measured quarter mile going towards Wroxham and its accuracy was spot on. All this led me to.wonder what method the rangers use to measure speed and how accurate is it? On the road, 4.2 mph would be well within the 10% tolerance allowed by most police forces.

13 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think they police the Horning area like no other. I was shouted at a while back and I was sure I was with the limit. :594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

We had to slow right down through Horning and the other villages with the Sealine. Even if we were within the speed limit it was often making unacceptable wash for passing moored boats. 

We normally just slowed right down to tickover which created very little wash.

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire

Nobody shouts at me for speeding on the river...as far as I've heard anyway, I'm usually getting another beer out the fridge so wouldn't know otherwise :default_smiley-angelic002:

Agree with Cal its wash not speed. My boat was a sea boat not at all suited to the Broads, I was constantly being told to slow down usually by moored craft, had to bite my tongue on more than one occasion whilst shifting in and out of gear at 3 knots !  I do feel that some of the complaining moored boaters would be more suited to caravanning though.

Enjoyed the Broads, now on the coast.

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
10 minutes ago, SteveO said:

This was a lady ranger. Maybe just needs to acquire a little more experience.

Well, I'm available tonight :default_norty:

4 minutes ago, SteveO said:

This was a lady ranger. I've not seen her before, so probably new.  Maybe just needs to acquire a little more experience.

I disagree. It was a ranger. What has a lady ranger got to do with it? What has new got to do with it. They are selected by the Broads Authority with a great degree of care, consideration with regard to their knowledge and ability. I have absolute confidence in the Authorities selection and training procedure as witnessed by the quality of rangers that I have seen demonstrated over several years.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What a strange thread this is. Wussername makes the most sense.

Someone claims to be a little miffed at being told to slow down, when they admit to being over the maximum speed limit, and even checked and calibrated their method of checking speed and confirmed it was accurate, and thus over the maximum speed limit. Then someone else comes along and admits to going through at a "sedate" speed of 4.6mph, or 0.6mph over the MAXIMUM speed limit. Did I say maximum, as in the maximum speed, not a target to aim for. :facepalm:

Whatever method the rangers use to calibrate their equipment is slightly irrelevant, as it was accurate enough to clock you going over the maximum limit. :default_rofl:

Take it on the chin, and maybe just slow down through Horning a bit. :default_biggrin:

Or have a missed something and the speed limit through Horning has been raised to 5mph?

Another candidate for replacing the Jokes thread! :default_norty:

Actually maybe Jayfire made the most sense, time to retrieve another beer from the fridge. :default_wink:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Guest Jayfire
6 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Actually maybe Jayfire made the most sense, time to retrieve another beer from the fridge. :default_wink:

When everyone takes away their prejudice....I always do 😇

Glad I made you see the light too though matey, the fridge light 🍻

its difficult on some boats unless you are running a speed app, to know your exact speed, on Water rail there is a line on the rev counter marked 5mph, now depending on tide conditions that can be anything from 4 mph to 6 mph (or more if heading down south through great yarmouth, I was doing 6.3 mph on little more than tickover last week.)

If you ever hire a Marthams boat, you dont even get the help of a rev counter.

but I have noticed on water rail, that there is no appreciable wash until you are doing 0ver 2400 rpm, ie 6mph through the water, and then maybe 4" of wash at the bank. at 1600rpm (supposedly around 4 mph) the wash is barely noticable, when I was going through horning i was making rpm for 4mph, and travelling (by gps) at 4.6 going with the tide. its really tricky because water rail has a harmonic frequency between 1200rpm and 1600 rpm that means the whole boat shudders and things come crashing off the worktops, so its back off until the shudder starts then nudge forward until it stops, and thats as slow as you can go without dropping back to tickover.

Strangely most of the Martham boats I have used have a similar issue at low revs just above tickover, the engines seem not to have a happy spot wher ethey can do 4 mph, its 2.8 mph or 4.2 mph, with not an option between thats not going to shake the boat apart.

I was merely Interested to know the means by which the rangers measure speed and understand why a tolerance is not applied to cover the margin for error. I am not interested in the gender of the BA official involved. I merely mentioned it in the context of believing she might have been new. don't think any of this is strange but I do think it rather odd that some have reacted to this thread in the way they have. 

• Sad 1

Guest Jayfire
10 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I am not interested in the gender of the BA official involved. I merely mentioned it in the context of believing she might have been new. don't think any of this is strange but I do think it rather odd that some have reacted to this thread in the way they have

It was plainly clear that you wasn't implying anything by mentioning it SteveO, don't worry about it 

It is hard to comment as one was not there at the time.  Presumably the ranger shouted, having got the impression that you were going over the limit.

You were not stopped and were not prosecuted.

Your avatar suggests you have a long boat, about 42ft.  These can often give the impression that they are going faster than they really are, especially in a narrow waterway.

What counts of course, is wash.  That is the reason for a speed limit in the first place.

Having read the original post again, it does seem to me that the ‘greeting’ was probably due to the wash being created not the speed, particularly as you were going through Horning at the time. The Ranger may have noticed the moored boats bobbing about a bit too much. Just my thoughts SteveO.