I Thought No One Was Flying Anywhere?

Hylander

• Hylander changed the title to I Thought No One Was Flying Anywhere?

Could have kicked off as a result of folk not social distancing as was the case at Heathrow; queues of passengers on a flight from India reported by a passenger to iNews.

Can only assume these are business travellers. As with previous lockdowns either tighter controls or embargo’s could avert these problems otherwise we could be booked on the flight path into lockdown again...

• Like 1

Ryanair, Easy Jet and Wizz have been flying in and out of Luton and Stansted throughout!  You only have to look at the flightradar24 to see where they are going to and from!

We live under the fly path to Stansted (at times) - it is a lot quieter but not 100% quiet

• Confused 1

I think it is a little rash to condemn those flying just by looking at Flightradar unless it is something you look at regularly.

Don't forget on a day like today many of those planes are private ones who are just zooming around doing not a lot, some will be internal flights just as there are trains, and others will be freight. East Midlands for example tends to have a lot of freight.

A much more telling stat is that Gatwick is handling around 42 scheduled flights a day, Stansted around 33 and even then you have absolutely no idea how many people are on these planes. People still have to travel, many to work in industries that have to keep going to keep you alive - oil and gas workers for example! 

And in any case, statistics will show that if people are determined to go for any reason, or return they will find ways of doing it!!! As far as I know fewer checks are carried out at ports so you could easily for example, fly into Ireland or elsewhere in Europe and get a ferry. Thats not too hard!

As a result of airlines hardly operating many people are now out of a job - the industry employed hundreds of thousands and like it or it Covid 19 is not going away and the country has to earn some revenue to live so to speak!

You are never going to eradicate it short term and you will somewhere, and at sometime in the not too distant future,  have to accept that inevitably the cost will be some deaths - just like most other illnesses and conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being under the Stansted arrival flight path coming in from the south (which is less used than the other direction) and also able to see planes flying up higher into Luton,  I downloaded the flightradar app at the beginning of lockdown last March - more for curiosity to see what was still flying.  For the first few months seeing a plane was almost a novelty and nearly everything into Stansted and out of Heathrow was freight.  For the first time I could hear the skylark from my garden.

Now a lot of the non freight flights  in and out of Stansted are domestic flights to the likes of Dublin and Scotland.  Wizz was eastern Europe and Ryanair, domestic and other destinations in Europe.  EasyJet much quieter if any?  Out of Heathrow it is a mixture of long haul and freight.

The 17 year old son of one of my work colleagues works at Stansted in Boots at the weekend - his job has survived!  But for others living around the airport hubs, it is a very difficult time.

technically this discussion should not be in this section as speakers corner is for 

Discussing the Present and Future of the Broads.

and its not really a topic for the broadscot lounge.

might I suggest we let this topic die quietly, while I am sure it is a lamentable state of affairs, really its more of a topic for the press to sensationalise and other social media pages to discuss.

Thanks

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, grendel said:

technically this discussion should not be in this section as speakers corner is for 

and its not really a topic for the broadscot lounge.

might I suggest we let this topic die quietly, while I am sure it is a lamentable state of affairs, really its more of a topic for the press to sensationalise and other social media pages to discuss.

Thanks

Oh dear,  sorry.

• Thanks 1

I watched the two seater spitfire being fueled up last week, I was on the apron outside brookland engineering trying to find an oil leak on a beechcraft bonanza.

Good job you are not doing it at felthorpe, there is a replica spitfire there and if you are looking forward to the sound of a merlin an O-200-A just aint going to impress.

Have fun Griff, I will be jealous, and before you get trigger happy remember the war is over....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smoggy said:

... and before you get trigger happy remember the war is over....

As a Brit who flies a glider/sailpane through German airspace I am fully aware of this & wish that the UK press would do same.  Additionally I head negociations with German ATC for our local airspace .

Back in 1994 I flew my father in the club's motorglider to Neustadt-Glewe (an airfield in former East Germany), flying through the Hamburg control zone along the river Elbe & over the docks.  Back then you could still see the scar on the ground where the divide had been between East & West - father was most impressed that we were able to freely fly over it.

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

You could always fit a sea toilet to your glider

You ever been in a glider?

I won't go deeply into the subject (which is important if you are on a 7-hour flight or even longer - especially at my age) but polish gliders do generally come with a "Pee-tube".  Don't fly close behind one.

Gliders ? One evening I was out flying models on an Oxfordshire RAF base. In the distance several real ones, looking for thermals over a power station. Next thing I know, one is landing on the grass.

I quickly landed the model and went over to the glider. Chap is just getting out, and turns to me, stands up straight and says 'gud evenink' - it was just like the clip of the Polish pilot in the Battle of Britain film after he lands in the hay field.

Having poiltely pointed  out he's landed on a military airfield, and not having a pitchfork handy, I took him to the guardroom. By the time I got back to the airfield there were another 2 or 3 gliders in. Late in the day, lift failing, on a cross country, they had little option.

Next day a Pawnee tug came in and took them out again

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 00:25, BroadAmbition said:

Hmmm, Wondering now if I should take a shotgun or two along with a few cartridges, can't see MrsG and attending friends going a bundle on that one if I disappear off shooting the day after the main event in the afternoon :default_sad:

Griff

I'm sure by now Griff, you've casually dropped this into a conversation:

"Goodness me Darling, what a coincidence. There just happens to be a fine looking shooting club right next to the runway which I think may be open the day after my flight." Obviously translated into Proper Yorkshire. :default_coat: