Cleaners...

simonp

Hi everyone - I'm a regular reader of the forum but very rarely post...! Sorry about that!

Anyway, as part of a syndicate we've been looking at solutions for cleaning between member changeovers. The members always have a good clean through before leaving the boat, but we've struggled to find the right answer to having it done by someone else. 

We have an option of approx. £60 per (internal) clean, but not all members (us included) think that's particularly good value. I've not found any suitable alternatives through a quick bit of google searching, so was wondering if other NBN members had any thoughts on what our options might be? We're not looking for full valeting services or anything, just ways that the boat could be cleaned between members, at a reasonable price. Run the hoover round, wipe stuff down, bit of polish etc. - so probably only a couple of hours each time.

Any ideas? Or is every option going to be expensive simply because it's a boat...!?!

Our syndicate has some cleaners who are called in if any of our members opt to have a valet at the end of the week. I think that costs around £35 or so. I'm not sure because we always opt to clean the boat ourselves. I don't have the contact details of the cleaners we use, as our syndicate management agency handles the arrangements.

Thanks YnysMon - that's a more reasonable cost. I wonder if BCBM might let us borrow their cleaner, or give us their contact details? I think I'll drop them a line. We may not need them but it's good to have options.

I love interior cleaning when the wife does it... :default_biggrin:

I clean the outside but I find that strangely pleasurable!

Not sure which boat you’re on, but Thunder is always cleaned by the cleaner BCBM uses.

The problem with owners cleaning the boat is that some people are very messy and so their idea of clean is anything but, and it gets awkward when the syndicate has to tell them to buck their ideas up.

I definitely prefer knowing what the standard of cleaning will be.

• Like 1

Thank you sgbatyork, I'll try Rob - much appreciated.

Oldgregg - we'll see if BCBM would sub out their cleaner! We're part of the Blue Mist syndicate - thankfully we haven't had any awkward issues amongst members to resolve - long may that continue!  

Just to add another perspective.  

We have found that no matter who cleans the boat and how well they do it, the interior gradually goes into decline so that by the end of the season everything looks a bit tired. Not dirty, or shabby, just tired.

Nowadays we have Lightning deep cleaned annually which entails having her interior removed and cleaned off the boat.  It is around £450 including having the oven professionally cleaned also.  

This is well spent in the eyes of our syndicate considering that the cost is spread across the membership.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sgbatyork said:

Just to add another perspective.  

We have found that no matter who cleans the boat and how well they do it, the interior gradually goes into decline so that by the end of the season everything looks a bit tired. Not dirty, or shabby, just tired.

Nowadays we have Lightning deep cleaned annually which entails having her interior removed and cleaned off the boat.  It is around £450 including having the oven professionally cleaned also.  

This is well spent in the eyes of our syndicate considering that the cost is spread across the membership.

This is exactly what we used to do in the hire fleet and I expect most still do.  You’d be amazed at how many pieces of pasta and spent matches accumulate behind a cooker in just 1 year!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NeilB said:

You’d be amazed at how many pieces of pasta and spent matches accumulate behind a cooker in just 1 year!

When I had to pull my cooker out it was mostly milk bottle tops and dog biscuits, all our own mess so not a problem.

P.s. No I don't have dog biscuits as breakfast cereal...

Yet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1