MOB Rescue

In all seriousness MOB is what worries me most - if I go over my crew of two ladies would really struggle :o

Better get some practice in then Wayne, it will boost their confidence (and yours) no end, or is it just the decision to come back for you they would struggle with. :grin:

Share the same fears Wayne, the only way I am getting back on is under my own power, If I am conscious I am pretty confident that I can get on via the bathing platform and ladder but there is not a chance of Rachel and Heather hauling my admittedly svelte and lightweight frame out.

Have you thought about use of the monster Davits to extract you from the briny? cheersbar

Looked like a small yacht with only 3 aboard somehow had lost two over...

In that situation with the experts on scene I can understand the helmsman leaving the pick-up to them.

The weather on Saturday morning in the western Solent was described as extreme... Bf 7 westerly and rough, so with 1980 yachts entered for the race I presume the Lymington RNLI were standing by on the water.

Even Dame Ellen MacArther called it too rough for her young crew and abandoned (before getting out of the Solent)!

To me it just goes to show how the RYA courses showing you how to get back to the casualty skip the really difficult bit, getting them back on board is a lot more difficult than picking up a fender with a boathook!

Given a harness jacket with a D ring and a crutch strap, a suitable block and tackle can come in handy, but you need to have planned for it in advance and have the kit available (especially on power boats where you dont have the winches etc available on a rag & stick), but even making sure that you have a boarding ladder is a good start.

One of these is handy when in a situation that a MOB is more likely (deck work, etc.) It should be short enough to stop you going over though, not just long enough to ensure you get dragged alongside.

post-74-136713827907_thumb.jpg

2 very simple pieces of webbing strap can have a huge change.

1) Crotch/thigh whatever you want to call it strap. really makes the difference when you are in the drink to the comfort and safety of your lifejacket.

2) harness, if it didnt stop you going in in the first place it can very easily help you out! if you have two suitable strong fixing points (on the lifeboats we use the lifelines on the sponsons or the handles) you can clip the harness on in two points and use it as a step to assist you up onto bathing platform, deck etc etc etc.

another thing to remember... If you or anyone you see is in the water don't forget let the coastguard know. it may take a little longer for us or hemsby to get to the scene than you can get them out yourselves but we'd all rather be called and stood down with the best intentions than called too late.

a simple MOB recovery can end up with more than one person in the water.

:wave

Ta ta for now :)

MOB tips

if you inadvertently loose a crew member in the dill,

circle round and approach them with the tide against you.

pick them up as they come towards you with the tide.

when they are at your bow, take the boat out of gear to

ensure they dont get minced by the prop.

if you throw them a life ring, throw it beyond them and not at them,

so that the tide will carry it to them,

and to ensure you dont inadvertently render them unconscious

some more good tips...............

by tjoiner on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi

A couple of other tips.

1. I recover a lot of people from the Thames each year. If you have more than two crew on board, then it is vital that whoever is at the helm shouts "engine in neutral" as you approach the swimmer. That way there's no chance of a crew member pulling the swimmer to the rear of the boat (often the lowest part of the hull) only to mince them in the propellor.

If you don't hear "engine in neutral" don't pull the swimmer towards the boat, if you have to, tow them on a long line until recovery is safe.

2. Talk to the swimmer - tell them what you are doing - "I am going to tow you to the middle of the river", " please swim to the bank" etc. If they look scared (easy in the Thames on an outgoing tide in the middle of the night at Easter), tell them to smile. For some reason it gives people confidence, and it helps you too.

TJ

post-115-136713827909_thumb.jpg