Parish Moorings

Guest wendells2

Hi there,

I live in upper street Horning and have a 18ft sailing yacht,could anyone advise me how I can get a parish mooring please

thanks Mike and Wendy

Hi,

I know of Parish moorings at Ludham and Hickling, but I haven't heard of any elsewhere nearby, and certainly not Horning I'm afraid.

I know the waterside there quite well, and I can't think of any location in Horning where they could be. There are a few Public moorings, but none appear to be reserved for local Parishioners, unlike at Ludham or Hickling.

Strangely, there was a Horning Parish Staithe on the South West bank of the Ant at Ludham Bridge, but according to local history books that was leased to "Ludham Bridge Boat Services", many years ago.

Ant Staithe is still there - it's the stretch of bank between Ludham bridge and the Hall Farm moorings (the boundary is the fence with the gate in it), but I don't know who controls those moorings, if they're no longer leased to LBBS then they'd probably know who to contact. There's also moorings at Horning Church Staithe - I'd guess the church would be the obvious first point of contact.

Having said that, I'm on the waiting list for a parish mooring at Womack Staithe, but at number 29 on the waiting list I'm not expecting to get a mooring for a very long time, and I suspect that any Horning parish moorings might have a similar waiting list. Your best bet for cheap moorings in Horning is probably to join the sailing club and go on to their waiting list, though I don't know how long it is.

What sort of sailing boat do you have? I've just got my Express pirate (17' LOA) back into commission, and spent Sunday moving her from Horning to Hickling, to take up her new mooring at the Pleasure Boat.

if they're no longer leased to LBBS then they'd probably know who to contact. There's also moorings at Horning Church Staithe - I'd guess the church would be the obvious first point of contact.

The question came up a while ago on another Broads forum, and the new Ludham Bridge Boatyard owner said that they no longer formed part of that property, so presumably they're still run by Robert Paul, at "The Boathouse" boat sales behind the Wayfarer's Restaurant.

The other "old Horning Staithe", down the rutted track beyond the church, on the waterworks reach, has "no mooring signs" on it, and only seems to be used by fishermen now.....

The lane by the Church has "private no entry" signs between it and the river, so I assumed (maybe wrongly) that they were all private dykes down there. It does look very posh and private though....

post-669-136713828153_thumb.jpg

I know Robert Paul deals with the moorings on behalf of Hall Farm, but I don't know who controls Ant Staithe, it may be him or it may be somebody else.

I wasn't aware of the old Horning Staithe, the moorings at Horning Church Staithe that I'm thinking of are in the dyke next to the small public staithe, accessible by a rather rough footpath that IIRC goes through the churchyard. The last time I was down that way I was going out to check on a solo hirer who'd phoned us up to say he was ill and then hadn't made it back to the yard as arranged, so I didn't bother with any signs, as my main concern was checking that he was safe and didn't need urgent medical attention.

• 12 years later...