Next Please..

I hope non suffer the fate as the one drifting outside the Swan(Horning) this morning with its front rope firmly wrapped around the prop!..

26 minutes ago, Jemaki said:

I hope non suffer the fate as the one drifting outside the Swan(Horning) this morning with its front rope firmly wrapped around the prop!..

:facepalm:I didn’t think hire boats had front ropes that long! Ours never used to. 

Many years ago, long before we took our own boat to the Broads, we were spending the day with a friend on his boat and were moored on Perci's island in Horning.  While sitting having lunch in his cockpit our attention was attracted by the antics of a very smartly dressed young couple attempting to come in to moor on the bank opposite in a little hired day boat. This involved the often seen scenario of passenger getting off with rope in anticipation of tying up and boat going off leaving them stranded  on the bank trying to decide what to do with the rope, This young lady very sensibly decided to let it go rather than follow it into the river! Eventully with the help of about 6 other people they managed to bring in the boat into the bank and get off, tying the bow rope to a mooring ring. Then came the search for the stern rope. By this time we had all started to giggle because we knew exactly where it was. They eventually triumphantly spotted it and pulled and pulled and pulled by which time we are helpless with laughter, but to no avail. It wouldn't budge because  of course it was firmly wrapped round the prop. Not to be deprived of their lunch in the Swan, they deployed the life jacket as a mooring attachment and off they went. Someone from the hire yard turned up later and towed them away.

Carole

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, vanessan said:

:facepalm:I didn’t think hire boats had front ropes that long! Ours never used to. 

Depends on the length of the boat.

On a shorter boat, if you are going to have bow mooring lines long enough to moor at Yarmouth then they are going to be long enough to reach the prop.

2 minutes ago, Cal said:

Depends on the length of the boat.

On a shorter boat, if you are going to have bow mooring lines long enough to moor at Yarmouth then they are going to be long enough to reach the prop.

It depends on what the hire yards put on the boat! In the dim and distant past, they weren’t too fussy about what boats should have nor what state the rope was in. I remember hiring from Royall’s in the 90s, coming in to moor at Cockshoot in a strong wind. Stepped onto the bank, attached the somewhat thin rope to the post and it snapped (the rope that is, not the post!). We hired a day boat many moons ago to go up to Hickling etc. Stopped at West Somerton to moor up only to find the bow rope wouldn’t even reach the bank. 
Hopefully these days things are better.

We provide mooring ropes 15 metres long, for working in deep locks.

Getting a rope round the prop is still very rare, probably less so than on the Broads.  Usually, what gets round the prop here is a parasol that has blown off the top deck in a wind.  They tend to float for a bit, about a foot below the surface where they can't be seen. Rather like a giant jellyfish!

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

We provide mooring ropes 15 metres long, for working in deep locks.

Getting a rope round the prop is still very rare, probably less so than on the Broads.  Usually, what gets round the prop here is a parasol that has blown off the top deck in a wind.  They tend to float for a bit, about a foot below the surface where they can't be seen. Rather like a giant jellyfish!

We had a boat with an outboard on the Lancaster Canal for 9yrs and I had a very well used pair of chest waders, it became apparent that they were put to use more on the stretch near to Preston, once we moved up to Garstang we never had a problem with prop foul.

John.

45 minutes ago, andyg said:

I still don't know why divers aren't used anymore ??

When we thought that our prop was fouled last year George from Ludham rang a freelance diver who used to do a lot of call outs but he had retired recently due to it not being cost effective. Someone will know better than I but he may have been the only one offering the service. 

Ps...we weren't fouled, it turned out to be the lift pump, it gave similar symptoms.

A friend used to work in a canal hire yard. A hirer rang up complaining the engine was overheating. He asked if they had checked the prop (Canal boats have a weed hatch to clear props). The said yes, there was nothing on the prop apart from its protective rubber ring... It turned out they had a car tyre perfectly fitted round the prop.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I heard somewhere there's a few H&S issues which means you need a team of people for 1 diver to go under a boat and remove a rope, tyre, towel etc from a prop.  Gone are the days you could put a pair of goggles on and jump over the side!  Luckily I only did this a couple of times as the other engineer went scuba diving as a hobby!

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

heard somewhere there's a few H&S issues which means you need a team of people for 1 diver to go under a boat and remove a rope, tyre, towel etc from a prop. 

That is possibly right these days. Probably would require a risk assessment before action so in the long run it would be quicker to lift out and remove. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andyg said:

So I guess the boat will have to be towed up to ferry marina or Clive yard to be lifted out to free the rope. I still don't know why divers aren't used anymore ?? 

Sadly the legislation regarding the number of divers required by a company increased to 5 divers, this is one of the reasons Maffetts stopped the service they provided.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

Oh heck! Must remember to get there early! What time was this, may I ask?

David

I think your given an arrival time slot and they ask you don't arrive early. I know haven's have adopted the same and won't allow you on site early.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Sadly the legislation regarding the number of divers required by a company increased to 5 divers, this is one of the reasons Maffetts stopped the service they provided.

Thanks Alan I didn't know that. The only time I've had need of a diver was when our prop fell off passing through Horning.it was the guy from Loddon who came out to us. A couple of trips back to Stalham for his wife they finally found the right prop to fit...we were rather late getting the boat back for hand over lol..

56 minutes ago, andyg said:

I think your given an arrival time slot and they ask you don't arrive early. I know haven's have adopted the same and won't allow you on site early.

Thanks Andy, we aren't booked with Ricos until next year, so hopefully things will be a little more relaxed by then, but obviously we shall see what the boatyard ask us to do.

we hired from Herbert woods last month and they were very relaxed about our arrival time.

David