hi to all! few questions

Guest will321

hi im will,

just saying hi also have a bucketload of burning questions lol

here goes,

1). can i use my rubber dingy (the one you buy at the beach if i mudweight for the night to get ashore)?

2). im going in august for a week and i cant remember what it was like as went with family years ago.

3).ive hired the breakaway 4 and would like to know if anyone else has hired this vessel before and what they think of it?

4). im RN at the minute and have quite abit of experience in ribs (jet pacs) but not inboard motors ie diesels what kind of power ill need to apply to moor properly?

5). mudweighting overnight i.e what are the rules etc etc

6). and rules on barbecues and drinking.

thats all for now but im sure ill ask more as the missus will start questioning me on it lol

cheers:)

Hi Will, welcome to the forum,

I am a hirer so will have a go at some of your questions, but more experienced will be along soon.

1, yes, but make sure you find out about river tolls as you may have to pay, be careful and make sure the current isn't too strong as it could be a long hard row back to your boat.

2, busy, and hopefully sunny

3, not hired it before

4, as a hirer you need to use full power at all times when mooring and leaving the moorings :evil:

4, the serious answer, always try and moor agains tide and wind, use enough power to make a nice steady approach, this will depend on the flow of the river, some palces like Reedham have strong tides and you will need a little more power here than the higher reaches of the rivers.

5, don't block the river or entrances to the broads, otherwise OK.

6, BBQ, make sure you don't burn the bank, do not use on the boat, make sure out before moving it, and get propper bangers and burgers,

6, drinking, enjoy it but don't get bladdered and try to control the boat, especialy don't get bladdered and try to row back in dinghy

7, have a great time

cheersbar

cheers for the speedy reply :)

as for getting bladdered while in control of the boat lol ive been there done that before lest i say im never doing it again lol

25+ kts in a jet propulsion system rib with a gpmg mounted on the front is not a good hangover cure hahaha i can still taste the alchohol eugh lol

4, as a hirer you need to use full power at all times when mooring and leaving the moorings

Not sure I agree with this. If this is what the hirer's are told then it's no wonder I have kittens nearly everytime we have a hire boat moor near to us. Almost had my transom rammed by a Herbert Woods boat going a full pelt when attempting to moor. In my boat handling training I was told slow and steady!

Hope you enjoy your holiday :)

The Breakaway's are very small, basic boats but have all you need to get on the water & the basics for a good holiday afloat.

The aft deck/helm area has upholstered seating I think, so if the weathers good that will be where all your time is spent I think.

cheersbar

All the best

Dan

4, as a hirer you need to use full power at all times when mooring and leaving the moorings

Not sure I agree with this. If this is what the hirer's are told then it's no wonder I have kittens nearly everytime we have a hire boat moor near to us. Almost had my transom rammed by a Herbert Woods boat going a full pelt when attempting to moor. In my boat handling training I was told slow and steady!

Hope you enjoy your holiday :)

Think you should have read the next line down! Obviously a little irony!!! :mrgreen:

A warm welcome to the forum, I am ex RN came out in 1976 after 12 years service,being hiring boats on the broads on and off since 1966. And now i have my own bathtub to swan around in. I think your questions have as pretty much been answered.enjoy.Did you get your free tot of rum on Armed forces day??? :wavecheersbarcheers

hahaha naa im afraid i didnt get my tot of rum unfortunatly :(

cheers for all the replies 5 weeks and 6 days to go until i finally get there, in the mean time anyone else got ay other info on the breakaway classes apart from the fact that one capsized a couple of years ago :norty:

Hi Will.

Not to put a downer on your choice of boat, but, Don't forget to bring

a brolly with you as the Breakaway's don't have a wiper! Friends of ours hired

one last year and they had to lower the centre section of the screen to see

where they were going during heavy rain. :cry: Apart from that, they enjoyed

the boat but will hire a larger one next time as it's a bit on the small side even for 2.

cheers.

Bill