Jemaki's Southern Jaunt..

Just wondered what folk have planned for this Bank Holiday, the weather looks changeable but mainly dry(I hope) here on the Broads. We are heading to the South side on Wednesday afternoons low tide, going to have a night around Loddon/Pyes Mill then over to Somerleyton for Thursday evening where the Duke's Head is a distinct possibility, then on to Beccles where we have booked into the Yacht Station Friday, Saturday & Sunday going to see what is on offer for the weekend. After that we have no plans yet, we may head up the Yare towards Norwich we haven't been there for a while and Eileen is after some material to make new curtains! at which point I will draw this to a close. 🙂

I'll update as we go..

John.

2 hours ago, Jemaki said:

then on to Beccles where we have booked into the Yacht Station Friday, Saturday & Sunday

I should be in Beccles over the weekend, only to work on the boat. Got a blocked toilet pump out to sort out :23_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::70_poop:.

It will give me chance to do some other outstanding bits too before we are back in June for another week.

• Like 1

My favourite pub down south, is The Ferry House at Surlingham.  Moorings there are bookable, they have electric posts, but like a Beccles YS, don’t use BA electric cards.  Cards for their posts are available in the pub.  They also have a water hose for the boats.  Great food, friendly welcome, good beer and a big riverside beer garden.  Highly recommended.

We should be up for the weekend on Norfolk Lady, so will look out for you.

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Are the moorings at the bottom ( Broad End ) of the short dyke usable these days or are they now the BA ones?

They are the BA ones, but there is plenty of space before and after the BA moorings with quay heading to moor with rhond anchors, although the vegetation can be a little overgrown if insufficient visitors have trodden it down previously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

They are the BA ones, but there is plenty of space before and after the BA moorings with quay heading to moor with rhond anchors, although the vegetation can be a little overgrown if insufficient visitors have trodden it down previously.

The quay heading upstream of the BA moorings (nearer the broad) is breaking up and has been cordoned off. The downstream side is ok though. 

We set off from Horning around midday to catch the 16:30pm low tide at Great Yarmouth, the journey there was fairly uneventful apart from cruising round a tight right hand bend close to the reeds when suddenly from nowhere a hire boat decided that he also wanted that same track - despite it being on my side of the river!, I quickly slammed it into reverse and we narrowly avoided a collision, I made a too & fro movement from my forehead with my fist but my attempt at Lancashire semaphore did not seem to impress him as he only marked me with 2 out of 10, at least I think that is what his hand gesture meant!

A slow journey across Breydon due to tide and wind brought us to Burgh Castle moorings, we were going to go to Loddon but I knew that the Fishermans Inn had Sky and would show the now lost Europa Cup Final 😥 It was an enjoyable visit non the less, the place was buzzing with a good atmosphere. It was a good job the Fishermans had moorings because the ones further up are closed due to piling works, and I must say I enjoyed my other half trying to climb off the boat at low tide to walk the dog, it was quite an effort 😁. Off to Loddon today to see what it has to offer, could do with some sun.

John.

received_798818030742905.jpeg

To start the day fresh from the galley an egg & hash brown sandwich, although there was a minor altercation with "er indoors" when I pointed out that she had not done a soft yolk, I said that had I gone for a Thai bride this might not have happened, it was at this point that I discovered her little known Oriental skills - when she gave me a swift King Fu kick in the nether region! I remember now my fathers advice " Say it three times in your head before you say it out loud "...ouch!

20210527_102121.jpg

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I'll be aiming for Loddon saturday night

I was gonna head to Loddon on Saturday night but Smoggy has just convinced me to head elsewhere :default_biggrin:

2 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I was gonna head to Loddon on Saturday night but Smoggy has just convinced me to head elsewhere 

Comedy at its best..😄

I remember when I was at school they all laughed at me when I said I wanted to be a comedian....well there not laughing now...

How Ironic. 

Well we had a lovely early evening stroll around Loddon sampling the various hostelries which were very welcoming and the stroll became a stagger (well not quite), we had spotted an Indian takeaway earlier in the day and decided that was the place after our venture out. We returned to the mooring with said food to find we had been hemmed in on both sides, on the port a large old hire boat with a very noisy heater and to the starboard what we thought could be potentially be a very noisy night ahead! It was a private boat with around six young people who came across as being slightly anebriated and were shall we say a little boisterous, they were extremely pleasant and we had a chat with one of them before they all headed off for the pub, this was at 9pm.....leaving the music player blarring in the boat! Now we don't have a problem with kids having fun we've all been there, but in anticipation of a noisy night, with the music on one side and the heater on the other we cruised the 5 minutes to Pyes Mill moorings, there were only 2 boats moored up so we chose a large gap in between because we planned on leaving for Beccles at 7:30am. Now here is where the irony bit comes in...at precisely 4:43am a bunch of crows decided that our boat was the place to  jump all over and have a look around, all this whilst cawing loudly and rather strangely pecking at the lounge windows, now this did not go down well with Oscar dog who was sleeping in there. I stood up and banged on the bedroom roof and off they flew...only to return 3 times in the next half hour, so I had the wife poking me in the back to "do" something and dog going mental in the lounge, I can only imagine that the crows could see their reflection in the tinted windows and this caused them to peck. Top and bottom of it was the dog was let loose and the kettle went on and its going to be a slightly earlier start than expected!...should have stayed where we were, at least I got a nice sunrise photo...oh and the curry was very good. Beccles here we come..

20210528_053810.jpg

20210528_053838.jpg

All the lounge windows had impressions of crows wings where they had been attacking there reflection, I though at one point they were going to break it..strange behaviour. 

20210528_075010.jpg

Lovely morning at Beccles Yacht Station, with a good turnout by the Freeman Owners Club. Had a stroll into town yesterday and ended up in the Kings Arms which is a Wetherspoons and with 4 pints for under a tenner its value for money.

20210529_095402.jpg

20210529_095249.jpg

12 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Am I correct in thinking the standout Freeman with the blue hull belongs to a certain fireman? 

Sorry David, I'm not with the meet, just moored nearby for the weekend.

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Am I correct in thinking the standout Freeman with the blue hull belongs to a certain fireman? 

Not me mate, but mine is one of the rare blue hulled Freeman's 

I was going to attend the meet as I have made many friends with the group but chose to enjoy my own travels this time instead

Norfolk Lady aka Mouldy and his better half made a fleeting visit, good to see you again and glad to hear the house move is all going to plan, enjoy your weekend 

John.