Taking A Gander At Goosander

Saturday 15th May. Stayed at Home mooring in Horning.

Well, it had been 18 months since i was last onboard. I'd almost forgotten what she looked like. Arriving at around 1.00pm, I quickly unloaded the car, then drove back to Wroxham, where I had booked a table (outside) at the Kings Head. On arrival, it was obvious this would have to be abandoned, as it was bucketing it down. I ended up having fish and chips on the terrace of Ken's, still overlooking the river, but undercover. That's where I saw the handsome heron in the image. Then, after a rummage through Roys, I made my way back to Horning and kicked back and relaxed for the rest of the evening. At around 9pm, I thought I would have a walk around to the Ferry Inn, to see how people were coping having to eat and drink under their awnings. There were just a few hardy people about. I had a pint of lager, while listening to the happy chat and observing the incessant rain. More tomorrow.

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC04416.JPG

DSC04419.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trambo said:

Is that a new home mooring David?

Yes, it's moved from Boulters, one dyke further down - the Ferry Marina dyke. It followed instances of flooding at Boulters during winter, making it difficult to access the boat. Of course - now Boulters have raised the staging to avoid the wet feet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turnoar said:

Boat looks clean and smart, did it have a good polish before the first lockdown?

I believe Boulters were hired to give it a spit and polish a week or so  before we were all allowed back onboard.

• Like 1

Sunday 16th May

It was great to be back onboard, and upon opening the curtains, I was surprised to see bright sunshine after the miserable weather yesterday. So first breakfast on the boat - had to be egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms and beans. I wanted to cast off around 9.30am, so as to reach Ludham Bridge by 11am. I had no idea how busy the moorings would be. I'd noticed that the great boatyard flush out seemed to be designated for Monday. Clearly, many people wanted to wait until the pubs were open inside before starting their holiday. Anyway, I arrived at 11 on the nose, to find a choice of moorings, though my favourites, just after shooting the bridge, were occupied both sides.

From midday, the moorings started to fill. One cruiser moored smack in the middle of the area reserved for yacht demasting (?), and was subsequently told to shift by a ranger who was walking the length assessing which mooring posts might need replacing. The skipper high-tailed it out of town. I witnessed one or two boats scraping their sterns on the moorings as they tried to depart against the breeze pushing them back onto the side. 

I left Ludham Bridge at 1.30pm, wanting to arrive at Sutton Staithe no later than 3pm, as I had a tabel booked (outside) at the Sutton Staithe Hotel. On approach, it was evident there was lots of room at the staithe. I fancied having the electric hook-up so I proceeded on down and managed to bag a Goosander sized space just after the little boat dyke. That was the only hook-up space available so I was fortunate there. My evening meal, outside the Hotel was good. They were still operating a reduced menu, which was a little disappointing. I plumped for, and was made plump by, the Burger and chips. That's all for today. (I only meant to write a few words to introduce the photos) 

DSC04425.JPG

Ludham Bridge above

DSC04432.JPG

Next are following the walk from Sutton to Stalham. Richardsons Boatyard

DSC04433.JPG

DSC04434.JPG

Still a lot of £££ tied up

DSC04436.JPG

Ready, steady.........

DSC_0019.JPG

The outdoor meal at the Hotel. I don't smoke by the way. Someone pointed the ash tray out to me after I'd taken the photo.

• Like 7

Monday 17th May

It's hospitality inside opening day. I'd already booked a table at the Bridge Inn in Acle, so it that was to be my final destination for the day. Most of the returning Richardsons craft had left the moorings by 8am, after which a sense of calm descended on Sutton Staithe. I set off aiming for Ludham Bridge again, for my lunchtime stop. The Ant was very quiet, with hardly any craft about. As I said earlier, today seemed to be the day that most boats were to be squirted out of their hire boatyards. I reasoned that as long as I stayed an hour or so ahead of them, I should have no problem mooring. The moorings at Ludham were wide open, as i approached at 11am. The weather was still sunshine and showers, so i toddled off to the stores for an ice cream. Sure enough, by the time I got out of the shop, the rain was heavy again. 

The rest of the lunch break was just observing the odd boat coming and going. By 1.30pm, I was ready to be on my way. Acle is just 1.5 hours cruise away, so I set off with no great speed, keeping well below the 6mph that's marked on the Bure towards Acle. I was aware of the new electric posts on the BA moorings and looked to see if there was an appropriate place to tie up. It was very tight, especially since the boat in front had a dinghy swinging behind it, but i got in and was able to hook-up once again. 

I'd booked the table for 7pm, and to be honest, it was great to see people enjoying themselves again inside. As has already been highlighted on another thread, I had the steak pie, followed by "mandatory" cheesecake. I was there for about 2 hours, before retired back to Goosander, suitably stuffed!

DSC04438.JPGtwo from the walk to Stalham, the previous day

DSC04439.JPG

DSC04424.JPGLudham Bridge and that peculiar monument to the second world war

DSC04455.JPG

It looked much tighter than that!!!!!

DSC_0020.JPG

Who indeed ate all the pies

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

How many forum members are here

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

DSC_0020.JPG

Who indeed ate all the pies?

DSC_0023.JPG

How many forum members are here

I was going to say that chips and gravy is just wrong . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . until I remembered that you’re from up north!!   😁:default_hiding:Mash with my pie, much better!!

We were there - table booked at 19:15, but not in that photo.

3FBAEE31-714C-439C-9706-AF5039A91234.jpeg

7 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Sorry Mouldy - that just looks anemic.

That’s because the photo was taken before the gravy was poured.  Gravy on chips is wrong.  The only things good chips require are salt and vinegar!!😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Spotted you on YouTube this morning going through Ludham Bridge. 

I found it Monica. It wasn't me gov, honest! It think it must have been this week, not last. I know it wasn't me as I always forget to put the flag out at the stern. Still, looking at the boat there, it's clear the previous occupant had given it a good clean and polish:default_icon_bowdown:

34 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I found it Monica. It wasn't me gov, honest! It think it must have been this week, not last. I know it wasn't me as I always forget to put the flag out at the stern. Still, looking at the boat there, it's clear the previous occupant had given it a good clean and polish:default_icon_bowdown:

Oh trust me to get it wrong.  Sorry. 

Tuesday 18th May

The plan for today, was to cruise down to Yarmouth and spend the rest of the day there. Low water couldn't have been more perfectly timed at 9.30am. I decided to set sail at 9am, so as to make use of most of the outgoing tide. By 11am, I was passing the derelict Yarmouth Marina in slack water conditions. As usual, I  called the guys at the Yacht Station, asking for assistance on arrival, as a sole sailor. And was asked to meet them outside their offices. That sounded good I thought. Might be able to make use of the electric hook-up again. Upon rounding the bend, I could see the sum total of just four boats moored at the station. I made my way towards the electric pillar, and pulled alongside. I remarked how quiet it was to one of the guys tieing the boat up, and he seemed equally puzzled. The only explanation we could come up with was that many people had started Monday or Tuesday, to coincide with the pubs opening indoors, and as such were on short breaks and would not make it down as far as Yarmouth. 

Yarmouth seafront was beckoning. For me, it had been 18 months since i last saw the watery stuff, so I set off for town. En-route, I stopped for the obligatory market stall chips (no gravy!) and then for a coffee at Macky D's before making my way to the seafront. The weather had been threatening all day, and as can see from one of the images, the storm clouds started to gather and I decided to head back to the boat as fast as possible. It was just starting to rain as I got back onboard. For the next two hours, a terrific thunderstorm swept across the town, with lashing rain. 

I may have mentioned I'm a Leeds United fan, and they were playing that evening at 6pm. Trying to find somewhere to watch the game, I discovered that The Kings Arms, a few minutes walk away, no longer offered Sky matches. However, they boast really good wifi. So I took a chance that my tablet computer might be able to pick up a strong enough signal to screen the match. As the image shows, it worked really well, with no glitches or delays, and we beat Southampton 2-0 away, so you can imagine how happy I was with the arrangement. The food, as always at the Kings Arms, was great, and a full £10 cheaper than I paid at the Bridge Inn last night, for comparable dishes. I'm so pleased I found this little gem of a pub a few years ago. After the match, I made my way back to Goosander. The rain had stopped, and only the glow of victory pervaded the air! 

DSC04466.JPG

Feew boats at Yarmouth Yacht Station when I arrived

DSC04469.JPG

A few more when I arrived back

DSC_0029.JPG

Stormy

DSC_0034.JPG

Watching the match. Got to have cheesecake!

• Like 7