Taking A Gander At Goosander

Thursday 8th July

Well, after yesterday's dash, today was promising to be more sedate. The plan was to head back down the Yare to Reedham quay, and moor there for the rest of the day and overnight. So after bidding a fond farewell to the geese, I cast off and made my way back past Brundall. I had plenty of time, so I decided to make the detour through the dykes to Rockland Broad, which I think is such a scenic place. As you cruise as sub 3mph, it always seems so peaceful. The sun was out and the top was back. It was idyllic. Back out onto the Yare, I continued on. Cantley was on the horizon, or should I say, the Sugar Factory. I didn't want to arrive at Reedham until at least 1.30pm, as by that time I reasoned those people who had stopped for lunch, would have moved on. (still thinking about available mooring space with all the hire boats out). So I decided to make a stop at Cantley for a spot of lunch, a place I hadn't stopped at for many years. It was a lovely day. Plenty of cloud in the sky, but sunny spells too. I moved on again at 12.30pm, and headed towards Reedham. By the time i arrived, I had a choice of three moorings, and chose the one at the extreme end, facing Sanderson's boatyard. A turn into the incoming tide, made the approach and subsequent coming alongside easy. 

I do enjoy all the comings and goings at Reedham, and sat on the boat for a while just watching. I'd read that the riverside path to Reedham Ferry was now open, so I stepped ashore, in what was now hot sun, and made my way towards it. It had been many years since I last walked it, and it was good that it was open to the public again. By the time I reached the Ferry Inn, the clouds had started to increase and a few spots of rain started to fall. I had no raincoat, just an umbrella, but it looked so threatening, I thought I should continue on the road back to the boat. It's actually much longer that way. I should have just retraced my steps back along the riverside pathway. By the time I got back to the boat, the rain was steadily falling, and I was relieved to be under cover. Not long after, there was a crack of thunder and it appears God had decided to open the lock gates, as it started raining cats, dogs, hamsters, rabbits and guinea pigs. You get the idea. I was pleased I wasn't still out in it or I would have been washed to a whiter shade of pale. By time it ended, there were pools of water all along the quayside. 

I had booked a table at the Lord Nelson for 6.30pm, more in resignation than choice, as the Ship Inn was still closed. I was warmly greeted on entry and shown to my table. The hosts were very warm and the food was excellent, right down to the best presented cheesecake and ice cream I have ever tasted. I would heartily recommend the place and will definitely return. Suitably stuffed, I returned to Goosander and settled for the night. 

First, some images of Rockland Broad

MAH04644_Moment(2).jpg

MAH04644_Moment(4).jpg

MAH04644_Moment(5).jpg

MAH04644_Moment(8).jpg

MAH04644_Moment(9).jpg
Sure most people will know this place. How incongruous to have such a monstrosity in the middle of such a beautiful landscape.

DSC04646.JPG

DSC04648.JPG

On to Reedham, and the newly re-opened pathway to the Ferry Inn

DSC04651.JPG

This guy refused to move when I passed him by. Think he preferred it when the path was shut.

DSC04653.JPG

DSC04654.JPG

On the way back to the boat

DSC04655.JPG

You can tell I had more time to dwell today. Lots of images of Reedham

DSC04658.JPG

DSC04659.JPG

Thiis is how the Ship looks at the moment. Still ready to go at a moments notice by the looks of it.

DSC04660.JPG

DSC04662.JPG

DSC04663.JPG

DSC04665.JPG

• Like 6

Friday 9th July

Last full day on Goosander, and I need to get back to Horning this evening, so I was looking at at quite a journey. The timing of the tides wasn't that great so I just had to go with it or not get back in time. The tide was ebbing, having reached high water in Yarmouth around an hour before I set off. Goosander is a low, single level cruiser and will pass under the bridges at all but extreme states of the tide, and as we were close to "neaps", I wasn't that concerned. The current was ebbing slowly, so I didn't require the aid of the quay attendant to get underway. The sun was out and the top was back, and within 1 hour 45 mins, I was turning around the yellow post and hitting the current coming down the Bure, which was there but not over-strong. The bridges gauge read 10ft, so no problem there. Passing the Yacht Station, I was amazed to see just 5 (five) boats moored along the length of the moorings. That wasn't what I was expecting  at a time all the hire boats were out. It illuminates that "probably"  Sundays and Fridays (and probably Saturdays), are good days to stay over, as the hire-craft are too far from Yarmouth, most having come out on the previous Saturday. Further, if you can get there within a couple of hours of the 10am "throw out", you can almost choose your mooring spot. It would be interesting to know if that's other people's observation?

Anyway, onwards to my mid-journey stop at Stokesby. I wondered if I would get in, arriving as I would, at around 2pm. On the way down the moorings were full when I passed mid-morning. I wasn't seeing many passing craft, and sure enough, on approaching the Ferry Inn at Stokesby, there was lots of room. I came alongside without any fuss, more or less in the last mooring before the pub gardens. I'm starting to think it's a bit of a science to hazzard a guess as to where the masses are likely to be on a given day. Those  hiring on a Friday wouldn't even be out at that time. Those returning to their base for Saturday 9am, would most likely be much further up the system. After about an hour's lunch break, I was on my way again, noting that the Bridge Inn and BA moorings at Acle were mostly taken at 4pm. I think I arrived at the home mooring around 5.30pm. Just need to reverse in to the mooring and then start the job of cleaning the boat for the next owners. Definitely, the bit I dislike the most. 

I had intended to eat at the Clubhouse, which is a stones throw from the moorings, but they weren't serving food after 5pm, so I went instead, to the Ferry Inn. They don't take reservations so it was a case of chance it at 7pm. There was lots of space inside, and the Hunters Chicken was really nice. I've noticed that nearly all of the pubs I've visited, are operating much reduced menus, which was a little disappointing, and unexpected now that they had been opened up fully. For instance, I don't think I came across a single place which was offering steaks of one form or another, other than gammon. 
I got back to the boat around 9pm, and after doing some more "chores", I settled in for the evening.

Skyway at Stokesby

DSC04594.JPG

Deliberately out of sequence. Where is this Broads station?

DSC04627.JPG

DSC04666.JPG

DSC04671.JPG

I took this on leaving Stokesby, as I remember this boat being green topside and cream hulled. They've repainted it and in my opinion, it now looks the business!

DSC04673.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Isn't that the former Hoseasons building?

Yes that's right. I have fond memories of it being Hoseasons. On only our second trip on the Broads in November of 1974 I think(on a leaky roofed, condensation forming Safari from Harvey Eastwoods in Brundall). We were moored at Oulton Broad Yacht station, and remember walking up to their offices to obtain one of the first issues of the new season's brochure. The receptionist, who was busy stuffing envelopes with them, diverted a copy from an envelope, to me. 

• Like 4

Saturday 10th July. 

Not that much to say, other than I was up at 7am grafting! By 8.30am, I was out of the moorings and making my way to Boulters for the pump out and refuel. I kinda like that as it gives that last bit of intricate navigating before i have to leave Goosander behind until November. Back in her home mooring, I finished the inside and outside cleans, loaded the car, and had vacated by 11am. My final meal on the Broads, is always at the Yare, in Brundall, and I was in their car park by 11.45am. The meal disn't disappoint. I had the battered chicken with sweet and sour sauce. All too soon it was time to be on my way home. 

Just to say, if anyone is wondering how busy the Southern rivers are at a time when all the hire boats are out,  my experience was that it's a world away from the north. I was passing very few craft. I had no difficulty finding a mooring, and though I was usually tied up by 3pm, I'm sure you could have cruised through to 6pm and still had no trouble. Well worth the detour. 

Just a few final images, which I managed to miss out from earlier.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

The new stretch of moorings at Burgh Castle.

DSC04616.JPG

Anybody know where this is?

DSC04622.JPG

DSC04649.JPG

This was from my drive down to Norfolk. I passed Norwich Airport and was surprised to see so many aircraft mothballed there. The dashcam only picked up a few of them, but there were also British Airways, Easyjet and other aircraft just sitting there. I would guess around 30 to 40 just parked on the apron.

Norwich Airport_Moment.jpg

• Like 4

What week do you have in November David? We are on Moonlight Shadow for the first two weeks, and hoping to make our way up north for part of it. We’ve never yet experienced the Northern Broads properly out of season. Looking forward to it and hoping the weather doesn’t foul up our plans.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

What week do you have in November David?

I drew 20th November, and that's supposed to be an Autumn week! I've been around that time before, and once in early December, and the weather has been crisp but sunny, so hoping for the same again. All the pubs were open, though with hardly anyone in. It also gives me the chance to visit the Maltsters in Ranworth, somewhere I never consider in the summer. However, the fly in the ointment could be what happens as a result of Covid. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed your write up and photos David. I drove past Norwich airport a couple of weeks ago. It’s quite a sight seeing all those planes parked up. I would have loved to get some photos but there wasn’t anywhere to stop. It’s also quite a distraction when you’re driving!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Sunday 21st November

Yes, I could have started on the Saturday, but the mighty Leeds United were playing at 4.30pm on the Sunday.  I reasoned, if I had cast off any earlier, I would be in the wilds of Norfolk, and probably unable to watch the match on a pub TV. So I  arrived around midday. Sunday is a very civilised travelling day. Not as much traffic on the roads. I unpacked the car, which duly rose six inches on the suspension, and eventually made my way back to Wroxham, and an appointment at the Kings Head TV room (well all the rooms have TVs). I was an hour early, so I wandered around Roys (it's difficult to wander anywhere else actually), and then walked around Barnes, just to see how many boats were in/out. The only boats out were those on the hard. 

I went back to the Kings Head, and watched the match with an accompanying burger and chips. Sadly, the chips were down for Leeds, as we lost 2-1. I was back on Goosander by 8.30pm, all snuggled up with heating courtesy of the always-on electricity post. There was no need for the boat heating (which I try to avoid as I sense it dries the atmosphere). Some images of Barnes to follow. Not much else to photograph today.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Not sure what they're building here. This is the part where Barnes operate their dayboats from.
DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Monday 22nd November

It was quite chilly this morning, and having brought the eggs, bacon, sausages etc, I was justified in having a warm fry-up to see me through the day (mmm, must try that one on the Cholesterol nurse). In truth, I only ever have a cooked breakfast when I'm away on holiday in one form or another. It's not for medical reasons, just don't seem to fancy it much these days. So out of practice, and cooking in an unfamiliar location, it was always going to be a challenge. But I'd planned it well. Bread buttered, orange juice out of the fridge, beans ready in the smallest pan I could find (we have no microwave on Goosander - which would have made the task of fitting everything on our three ring circus.... I mean hob - well maybe I was right the first time :default_dunce: ) a little easier. Oh and a  definite hierarchy of what gets cooked first. I'd brought the eggs i had from home. They were a little past the use by date, but after watching a TV programme, where some genius told you how to check if they were still OK, I plunged them in water to see if they sank. Apparently, if they don't rest on the bottom, it's a signal that methane exists within the shell....a sure sign that the egg has started decomposing. Mine were firmly anchored to Davy Jones's Locker, so in mid cooking flow, I cracked one open. It looked OK, but decided it wanted to spread out to occupy the whole of the frying pan. Mmm, don't think that's right. So i decided not to risk it, and let the waste bin decide if wanted to try it instead. 

So after consuming my bacon, sausages, mushrooms and beans, I cleared everything away, cast off and made my way onto the Bure (from Horning for those who don't know where Goosander is moored). I was headed for Sutton Staithe, and was going to make no stops en-route, as I wanted to be sure I could tie up close to an electric pillar (a theme repeated throughout the trip). I didn't see many passing craft, a couple of Herbert Woods and a few privateers was all. As I approached the moorings, I could see it looked tight on the grassy part. Works were underway on the last 2 to 3 spaces rendering them unusable. There was literally just one Goosander sized space left between the works boat and what looked like a line of liveaboards, and it was close to the pillar. I got in without too much trouble, and went to see if any of  the meters had credit left on them. Why waste money? To my surprise, all three did. What I hadn't noticed, was that all three had huge long trailing power lines plugged into them, radiating out to the liveaboards already there. Thankfully, the works guys let me trail my cable to the pillar above where they were working, so job sorted. 

I decided to walk to Stalham on the main road, so I could buy some more eggs. I called into the Hotel en-route, to enquire if I should book a table for tonight (I imagined I'd be the only one there). Table booked, I started walking towards Stalham. It takes around 30 minutes, and is a pleasant enough walk if you can manage to avoid the lorries, buses, cars and motorcycles (there's no pavement, just soggy grass). I had a quick walk around Richardsons, then on to Tescos for eggs. I got back to the boat around 4pm, and just put my feet up (which were dropping off at this point), until it was time to visit the Hotel. I had a beef casserole with mashed potatoes and winter veg. It was hearty food suited to the current climate, and very nice too. A couple of couples, who were resident in the hotel, were also there.  OK, that's enough of the day, lets get onto the photos - always more interesting. 

DSC04809.JPG

DSC04810.JPG

Mmm. now where have I seen this before?. It was moored at the start of the Sutton moorings
DSC04813.JPG

All dressed up and nowhere to go
DSC04814.JPG

Nobody wants me anymore!  All the withdrawn Richardsons boats, were moored together on one of the quays.
DSC04815.JPG

DSC04818.JPG

DSC04819.JPG

Museum of the Broads
DSC04821.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Guest Trembler
2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

I started walking towards Stalham. It takes around 30 minutes, and is a pleasant enough walk if you can manage to avoid the lorries, buses, cars and motorcycles (there's no pavement, just soggy grass).

I have done that walk between Stalham and Sutton Staithe and onwards via Catfield to Potter Heigham or Hickling many times myself back when my boat used to be moored at Richardson's, it is a much more pleasant walk to  take the other road through the village however (conveniently passing the Harnser too) if you weren't intending a stop off at Richardson's yard.

Lovely pictures