Taking A Gander At Goosander

Friday 24th June 

Friday turned out to be the warmest day of the visit, getting up to around 25c, though there would be quite a stiff (but warm) breeze.  Doors and canopies were opened on rising. I was heading back to the home mooring today, hoping to get there early afternoon, as I had a plan. The chances of getting Goosander under Potter bridge are remote, especially as I'm ofteN not there at times of lower than average water, yet I still needed drone pictures of the moorings at Hickling, Horsey and West Somerton. So I had decided to go there by car this afternoon. By around 9.30am, I was heading out of Sutton with the warm sun on my back. The cruise back down to Barton Broad was just wonderful. Not many boats were passing, as though it was a turnaround day, the new cruisers wouldn't be let loose until around 3pm. Barton Broad, Irstead, How Hill, and Ludham Bridge all came and went before I nosed back out onto the Bure. The sun was steaming down, which I guessed would make ideal conditions for a walk on the boards at Cockshoot Dyke. So I looked to see if there were spaces as I approched, and gently came alongside into one of them. If the sun is out, this place is magical, with all the insects and wildfowl darting around. I went for a 30 minute walk, knowing that Goosander's home lay just across the river. Back onboard, I made some lunch, then slowly took the boat back to it's moorings at Ferry Boatyard. 

Pretty soon I was in the car, and with the aid of the satnav, was heading for West Somerton or Hickling... whichever I happened upon first. This was indeed West Somerton. I'd last stayed overnight there around 20 years ago - nothing had changed! You'll see from the photos that there were no visiting craft. It was very quiet there. I had been expecting a strong breeze to cause me problems flying the drone, as speeds of up 18mph were forecast, and it's always gustier the higher you go. Comfort is no more than 15mph, but I wasn't going to be back here, with decent weather until August next year, so I just reasoned I should go for it - keep the drone relatively low and for as short a time as possible. The breeze at West Somerton, for some reason, was quite benign so I got my shots and hightailed it out of there (I was blocking the entrance to a farmer's field as there was literally nowhere else to park). Back in the car, I headed for Horsey, which was a completely different kettle of fish being closer to the sea. There were also many people about. People watching me and high winds = potential for things to go wrong. It turned out they were lining the dyke to get on Ross's Wildlife Boat Trip, which  appeared soon after, guzzled all the visitors and then left. So now was the time to launch the drone. It really was windy, and the drone was being blown sideways at one time. I got the images and then brought it down within around 5 minutes. 

Back in the car, I made my way to Hicking. It seems the Pleasureboat Inn is closed, but a pop-up bar has literally popped up where the outdoor tables are. There were no hirecraft, but quite a few yachts were tied up. I couldn't tell if they were permanently moored. They didn't look like hired yachts. The  breeze  wasn't so strong here and nobody was watching, so I launched again, got the shots and returned to the car. I was back on Goosander by around 5pm, satisfied that my Mission Impossible, had been completed (the tape didn't self distruct and the images follow as proof). 

Having visited The Ferry Inn on my night of embarkation, I booked a table at The New Inn this time. On arrival, the guy wanted to show me to a table in the corner near the bar. It was too warm and sunny for that, so I asked if I could sit at a table on the upper decking looking over the moorings. Yes, no problem was the answer. I would say the place was only around 60% full, though topped up by a late arriving group of lads (to the horror of some moored nearby), at around 8pm. I was just leaving around that time, so I can't comment on whether their fears were justified. I had an 8oz rump steak with mushrooms, onion rings, tomato and lots of skinny chips. I had the same in March and can say it was just as good now and it was then. I had to turn down the offer of dessert, so filling was the main meal. Then back to Goosander to do a little of the dreaded cleaning chores needed before I vacated tomorrow. A little more to report on tomorrow then.

Lots of photos to follow - drone images at the end

Just a few geese

DSC05339.JPG

The moorings at Cockshoot Dyke
DSC05341.JPG

The Boardwalk
DSC_0009_3.JPG

DSC05344.JPG

DSC05348.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

The view from my table at The New Inn, Horning
DSC_0011_3.JPG

DSC_0012_4.JPG

Horsey 
DSC05362.JPG

DSC05364.JPG

Hickling
DSC05370.JPG

Hickling2.jpg

Hickling4.jpg

Hickling6.jpg

Hickling7.jpg

Hickling9.jpg

Horsey again
Horsey1.jpg

Horsey2.jpg

Horsey5.jpg

West Somerton
West Somerton1.jpg

West Somerton2.jpg

West Somerton5.jpg

West Somerton6.jpg

• Like 8

I shall be taking my boat up above "that bridge" very shortly so it is nice to see it is as busy as usual at the popular spots :default_biggrin:

Thank you DavidH

Saturday 25th June

It was a 7am alarm this morning as there was the small matter of cleaning Goosander from bow to stern, to leave her in the manner I had been greeted with a week ago. If you've readd my previous tales, you will know this is my least favourite part of the whole holiday. Being a sole sailor means there's only one of me to do all the cleaning, which makes it a race to get everything finished for 11am, my disembarkation time. One pet hate of mine is cleaning the large panoramic windows, which are always sparkling and smear free when I first come on board. I always joke that I pray for rain on Saturday morning, to hide my inefficient window cleaning. 

I had booked Goosander in at Boulters for a refuel and pump out at 8.30am, so 15 minutes before, I cast off and made my way around, knowing - but looking forward to - these last set of tricky manoevres before I leave Goosander for home. Boulters is awkward in that you have to reverse into the small space they set aside for pump outs. When I got there, a boat was moored almost across the opening, so I had to wait until the staff juggled boats about like the tiles in one of those slide puzzles. Considering the mileage I had done this week, I didn't think £78 for fuel was at all bad. Clearly not rushing  anywhere and being fortunate with the tides had made a difference. I also had no pump out to pay for, as my loyalty card was full and indicating a free one was due. I was soon out and making my way back around to Goosanders pad. The cleaning then resumed and I was ready to leave by around 11.10am. Not too late. When I was here last in March, at the time of that warm summer like week, I called at The Rising Sun In Coltishall before setting off for home, so thought I would do that again. So the car and me both waved goodbye to Goosander and we were soon back on the road. I arrived in Coltishall around 11.45am, parked up and claimed a table quite close to the river. It was a warm day and the outdoor tables soon filled. I had the 6oz Rising Sun Burger with maple bacon, caramelised onion and skinny fries. By about 1pm, i was back in the car and the journey home had started. A bit of a wait now until I'm next aboard in November. There was only one image from the day, so I've added some I had missed out from earlier in the week. 

My view at  Coltishall
DSC_0017_3.JPG

Reedham
DSC_0006_2.JPG

The New inn at Horning
DSC_0013_3.JPG

St Topez - I mean Great Yarmouth beach DSC_0039.JPG

Scoby Sands (?) wind farm.
DSC05241.JPG

Ludham Bridge
DSC05215.JPG

Crossing Breydon
DSC05279.JPG

Sutton BroadDSC05322.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Not with our Syndicate Simon. It does go to the vote every so often but so far not enough people want it. which makes it unattractive to anyone as it's just 4 hours or so every so often.

Hello David our syndicate on Ranworth Breeze has the outside of the boat cleaned every two weeks and once a month it is cleaned and sanitized, the owners can contact David to pay for cleaning at the end of their week. Owners would like it every week but the difference in their yearly management for the additional cleaning contract would be not cheap. Regards Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You had a super week Dave and thanks for a great travelogue. 

Have to be honest I always look at the piccies before I read the tale and just for an instant I thought "He's got her under that bridge." Then reality dawned on me! Miss Horsey Mere a lot, walking to the beach and the Nelson Head. Always a good meal and a slightly tipsy walk back to the boat. Last managed it in 2010 on Silver Symphony. 

I know what you mean about cleaning the windows on Goosander, they take forever!

Fred

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trambo said:

"He's got her under that bridge."

I've more or less resigned my self to not doing it. Needs lots of planning, which you can't really do until the last minute. I would hire a dayboat I tthink, though the drive around got me to see places I had'nt been to for years. Similar boat last time we were through in 2008 - Gala Girl from Summercraft. Some photos of the time: 

West Somerton - only just enough room to swing it (not ours)
BILD0057(1).JPG

BILD0058(1).JPG

BILD0062.JPG

BILD0064(1).JPG

The Pleasureboat Inn at Hickling
BILD0071.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Oh for the reopening of the Pleasure Boat. Has anyone heard anything about it?

There was a pop-up bar behind teh building when I visited, with customers eating and drinking. You can see it on this image:

Hickling10.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2022 at 17:07, MauriceMynah said:

Oh for the reopening of the Pleasure Boat. Has anyone heard anything about it?

It is open, in a fashion. Times attached for your information :default_beerchug:

20220727_175034.thumb.jpg.0315d554e960f87ccd2b612d38ce281a.jpg

• 7 months later...

I was back onboard Goosander a week last Sunday (26th February). It was a cold week to be honest, but as I write this, it's currently snowing here in Leeds. So relatively, the weather was quite benign then. I was staying until the following Friday, and with the cold temperatures, a hook-up to an electric post each night was going to be a necessity. I decided to stay on the home mooring for the first night, and after unloading the car and then a brief visit to Wroxham to wander the shops and boatyards (a Le Boat boat looked out of place in Barnes' yard - guess it's newly purchased), I made my way around to the Ferry Inn for my evening meal. I had forgotten that with teh installation of their new kitchen, The Ferry was offering baguettes only. So I turned on my heels and took the car down to The New Inn. It was about 40% full, which I guess is about right for the time of year. I had the Sirloin of Beef Sunday roast, which was oh-so-tender. Mango and Passion fruit Cheesecake was really nice too, but I wondered if the portions had been made a little smaller to keep the price to £5.50. Overall, the whole meal was well-cooked and good value. I know much is said +/- about The New Inn, but I found it warm, welcoming, and not outrageously expensive. 

Then made my way back to Goosander. It was already getting colder, so I put on the electric heaters and settled down for the night. I prefer electric rather than diesel heating, but in truth, I'm not sure whether one is more expensive than the other to use. I noted it took between 2 and 3 electric cards to last the whole night (with an oil-filled radiator set modestly overnight in the bedroom/cabin). 

DSC05513.JPG

DSC05514.JPG

DSC05518.JPG

DSC05519.JPG

DSC05521.JPG

DSC05522.JPG

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I decided to stay on the home mooring for the first night, and after unloading the car and then a brief visit to Wroxham to wander the shops and boatyards (a Le Boat boat looked out of place in Barnes' yard - guess it's newly purchased), 

I wonder if the ex Le Boat Broom 29 is for their hire fleet, or going to be refurbished and offered for sale through NBS when done?

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

I was back onboard Goosander a week last Sunday (26th February). It was a cold week to be honest, but as I write this, it's currently snowing here in Leeds. So relatively, the weather was quite benign then. I was staying until the following Friday, and with the cold temperatures, a hook-up to an electric post each night was going to be a necessity. I decided to stay on the home mooring for the first night, and after unloading the car and then a brief visit to Wroxham to wander the shops and boatyards (a Le Boat boat looked out of place in Barnes' yard - guess it's newly purchased), I made my way around to the Ferry Inn for my evening meal. I had forgotten that with teh installation of their new kitchen, The Ferry was offering baguettes only. So I turned on my heels and took the car down to The New Inn. It was about 40% full, which I guess is about right for the time of year. I had the Sirloin of Beef Sunday roast, which was oh-so-tender. Mango and Passion fruit Cheesecake was really nice too, but I wondered if the portions had been made a little smaller to keep the price to £5.50. Overall, the whole meal was well-cooked and good value. I know much is said +/- about The New Inn, but I found it warm, welcoming, and not outrageously expensive. 

Then made my way back to Goosander. It was already getting colder, so I put on the electric heaters and settled down for the night. I prefer electric rather than diesel heating, but in truth, I'm not sure whether one is more expensive than the other to use. I noted it took between 2 and 3 electric cards to last the whole night (with an oil-filled radiator set modestly overnight in the bedroom/cabin). 

DSC05513.JPG

DSC05514.JPG

DSC05518.JPG

DSC05519.JPG

DSC05521.JPG

DSC05522.JPG

Crumbs nearly £3 for the night,   we used to plug in sometimes with 70p left on it and it lasted.   Shows how times have changed.

12 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Crumbs nearly £3 for the night,   we used to plug in sometimes with 70p left on it and it lasted.   Shows how times have changed.

It's relative to how cold it was too Monica. I was using a fan heater and an oil-filled radiator at times. I'd credit £2 on arrival and find it nearly run out by bedtime and needing another £1 to see the oil-filled radiator through the night. That was while away from the home mooring, where the electricity is "unlimited" as it's paid for as part of the quarterly maintenance fees. 

Thinking about it, £3 per day is probably about right. Over a year that's £1,095, though I'm sure the average household goes through more than £3 each day. No washing machine, electric shower, and many of other appliances that are powered by the onboard batteries. 

I think the Le Boat 29 is a surprising choice. If it's for hire, they already have several Duets and it's their second lowest price boat so why bother with another one. If it's for sale, I guess it depends how much they paid for it relative to what they think they can sell it for.

• Like 2

Monday 27th February

Opened the curtains to bright sunshine, which always lifts the spirit. It had been cold overnight, so the heaters needed to be on full-pelt, and the kettle on. A cooked breakfast followed. I never have a fry-up at home, so this is a treat for me. I did have plans to end up at Sutton Staithe tonight until I learned that the BA was undertaking dredging work, closing the moorings. I could have diverted to Neatishead, but those moorings were also closed. Irstead would have been acceptable, but nowhere close to eat. An option would be to go to Stalham and eat at the White Swan, but there was no electric post (couldn't rely on Richardsons) and it was forecasting -1) so I opted instead to go to the BA moorings at Acle. En route I stopped off at Cockshoot Dyke for a quick walk around the trail, before continuing the journey. I arrived around 2pm and called The Bridge Inn to book a table. Amazingly, they only had space in the bar area...the restaurant was full. 

It was still sunny, so I decided to go for a walk into Acle, using the pathway that runs parallel to the road. I had a walk around the "town" and then came back via a pathway that takes you to the moorings at Acle Dyke..,leading down to the river where Easticks used to be, prior to it being destroyed by fire. Funnily enough, in the fifty years I've been visiting the Broads (first time 3rd March 1973), I'd never set foot on these moorings. Then I returned to Goosander and relaxed until it was time to visit The Bridge Inn. The cold set in as soon as the sun dropped behind the marshes. 

My table was booked for 6.30pm, and on arrival, it was clear the place was well patronised. I was seated in the bar close to a window, which I liked as I could still see all the comings and goings. I think the restaurant was actually pre-booked as a party, as there were cheers from in there from time to time. I ordered cottage pie for a change (usually have the steak pie), followed by white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake (oh wow!). Back to the boat at 8.30pm. It was cold and I had loaded the electric post with £1 before going for the meal. I flashed a second £1 card as soon as I got back, guessing that would be enough to see me through the night. Heaters switched on, I felt snug for the evening. 

The lookout point onto Cockshoot Broad

DSC05528.JPG

DSC05530.JPG

DSC05535.JPG

DSC05539.JPG

The BA moorings at Acle. A real scramble to get a mooring.
DSC05545.JPG

Looking out onto the Bure from the former Easticks site.
DSC05551.JPG

Bridgcraft boats were sparkling in the sun
IMG_20230227_142539~2.jpg

IMG_20230227_142557.jpg

IMG_20230227_142557~2.jpg

Round the back of the Bridgecraft boatyard
IMG_20230227_143222.jpg

The church in Acle town IMG_20230227_150150.jpg

No introduction necessary....but just in case - The Bridge Inn at Acle
IMG_20230227_160249.jpg

IMG_20230227_175820.jpg

• Like 12