Taking A Gander At Goosander

Thinking back to Tuesday 18th, we spent most of the day on the Ant with no rain at all. (Luna’s log didn’t mention any either.) I do remember we heard a few claps of thunder in the distance when we were moored on Barton Broad however, I guess that would have been your GY storm. Glad it was confined but at least you got back to the boat (just) before the rain came. 

Wednesday 19th May.

I had decided to stay north of Yarmouth this week, as I reasoned it would be manic up here come my next scheduled visit on the 3rd of July. Then i would head straight down south, in the hope of avoiding the masses, and not having to moor up at 8.30am for the following night's meal, (might be exaggerating a little). So after just the second fry up of the holiday, I departed around 9.45am. There was no struggle. The tide was still running out, and as not yet mastered how to be in two places at once, I asked the Yacht Station guys to help with casting off. Goosander swung around, I reversed out, and was soon on my way back up the Bure. That was fairly uneventful, and after an hour or so, I moored up at Stokesby, which by now was looking quite busy. 

I had booked a table for my first time visit to the Lion Inn, at Thurne, since it changed ownership. So after a short break for lunch, I was back out into the stream and making my way there with plenty of time, so as to be sure I could get onto the dyke. I think i arrived ultimately around 3pm. I noticed all the boats were moored head to tail down the right hand side of the dyke....and nobody was on the left hand side. I though that was strange, as I had always opted for the left hand bank. But wait, I could see the moorings at the head of the dyke, underneath the windmill, were vacant. What luck. I get a scenic mooring, and am still able to watch the boats on the Thurne going by. So I moored up and just sat about watching the world go by until it was time for the visit to the Lion. 

I'd visited the Lion a few times under it's previous owner, and had always enjoyed the nights there, which featured live music. Of course that is no more now, so I didn't know what to expect. The food was great, and I can only say that I would have had to have been ravenous, with a cavernous sized stomach, to get the whole meal down. I had chicken in a spicy batter, inside a sort of burger bun. No cheesecake today! The place was only around half full. Even the beer garden had just two tables occupied, yet the dyke was full. Evidence if it were needed, that food establishments do need to charge a mooring fee, as many boat occupants don't eat out. That's all for now as I have loads of images from today. First the food and the Lion.

DSC_0039 (2).JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0037 (2).JPG

DSC_0038 (2).JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

The terrific sunsets you get at Thurne

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC04488.JPG

The next morning

DSC04489.JPG

DSC04490.JPG

DSC04492.JPG

Told you it was a good mooring!

DSC04499.JPG

DSC04507.JPG

A little of order.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thursday 20th May

The weather forecast was for 20+ mph winds today, gusting up to 50 mph tomorrow. That was going to make a difference to my plans. So I departed the moorings at Thurne, and slowly made my way towards Potter Heigham. I had intended to stay for lunch at Potter, then return back down the Thurne and moor for the night at Ludham Bridge (as you can tell, a favourite of mine). However, as I could see Potter bridge coming into view, I decided that if I could find a good riverside mooring, I would stay for the rest of the day. There was just one space left, right next to the electricity post, so turned Goosander and drifted slowly in. Believe me, this mooring was tight, just six inches to spare each end. I went ashore and had to pull the boat as far forward as possible to clear the ladder on the moorings at the stern. That meant Goosander was minimally "kissing" the boat in front, which was unoccupied. I stayed onboard, and sure enough the occupants returned from Lathams, and prepared to leave. I pulled Goosander back those few inches to make it comfortable to get out, and the helmsman used his bow thrusters to swing his boat out. I was then able to pull Goosander a little further forward, and settled for the night. I considered it was worth the struggle to get in. 

Next was a visit to Bridgestones. How can you not? It was very busy inside, and I had to wait on the street for about 10 mins for a table. The staff were really pleasant and the whole experience was a delight.....as was the Chocolate Tiffin cake. After that, I had a walk around Lathams, and then returned to the boat for the rest of the afternoon. The wind was buffeting boat, and one of the lines ashore was creaking very loudly. That will keep me awake at night if it's allowed to continue, I thought. So the next half hour or so was occupied by trying every combination of lines  I could think of to stop it. Nothing did. In the end I found a thin piece of nylon(?) line and used that to secure the affected mooring. It wasn't very strong, so I left the "noisy" rope in place as a fail-safe, but as the boat was no longer pulling against it, the noise stopped. 

By 7pm, I was ready for an evening meal, so I went ashore to visit Norada, (formally known as The Broadshaven Tavern) The rain was lashing down again, but there were quite a few people inside. Thankfully, they've taken down the black sheeting that used to line the roof, so it looked much lighter in there. I had liver and bacon, with mashed potato, which was really nice and warming on a night like this. I stayed for around 2 hours, then made my way back to Goosander. The lines were holding up well, so I retired inside for the night. 

DSC_0001.JPG

That was tight!

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

Bridgestones, full as usual

DSC_0006.JPG

Wow!

DSC04527.JPG

DSC04530.JPG

The old and the new

DSC04534.JPG

Norada

DSC04536.JPG

Bridgestones

DSC04541.JPG

One for Grendel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Friday 21st May

The wind had gusted through the night, but had not kept me awake. The ammended rope arrangement worked well. Upon rising this morning, I could feel Goosander being sprung in and out against the moorings. Winds of up to 50mph were forecast from the start, so I had decided to make a one hop journey back to my moorings in Horning. As such, there was no rush to leave. As I was sat having breakfast, I watched a number of Herbert Woods craft have some difficulty turning their boats to get under the footbridge into the yard. I set off for Lathams again, just to get a newspaper, and to see how conditions were out there. It certainly was squally. On my return to Goosander, I got talking with a guy on a yacht moored next to me. He had decided it was too dangerous to be out on the river, and was staying put. Sadly, I didn't have that luxury, as I needed to get the boat back for the next owner. 

So I cast off the fore and aft lines, keeping the centre rope tied until last. On undoing that, I stepped onboard, and within a few seconds, Goosander had been blown out mid-river. I proceeded slowly past the lines of chalet, and could feel the wind blowing broadside on the boat. All was well, though I was a little nervous passing some oncoming traffic, as 4mph doesn't give you much steerage in this narrow part of the river. Relieved, I headed out onto the reeded banks, and eventually onto the Bure. I had planned to take Goosander down the Ferry Marina dyke to her moorings to spend the last night there, and then visit the Ferry Inn for a meal. But I didn't fancy the slow speed trip down in this weather, so instead, I thought it a good idea to moor outside the pub for the night, then return home the next morning, when the wind was due to die down. So on arrival at the Ferry Inn, I was pleased to see I had the whole bank to choose a mooring from. I moored as close as I could get to the Ferry boatyard, which was staging circus acts, trying to get returning boats back in. 

All tucked up for the night, I sat back and relaxed. Not many boats moored up outside the Inn. I think most had either stayed put for the night, or had returned to home boatyards. Around 7pm, I walked around to the Ferry. The mooring fee was £20, and apparently, I should have gone to their outdoor reception desk to pay on arrival. So when I sat at the table, the waiter told me whatever I ordered would be deducted from the fee paid. No it won't I explained, and promised I would be spending more than the £20 anyway. He was satisfied and I seemed to pay as I went along. I had fish and chips, with the request that the skin be removed from both sides (how we have it in Yorkshire). That was no problem - here's the credit card machine. A pint of lager was ordered separately, tap the credit card machine. I then ordered.....cheesecake for dessert....here's the credit card machine. The meal was very enjoyable and came past the £20 watermark, so all were happy. Then it was back onboard, to do some preparations for tomorrow's departure. 

DSC04532.JPG

Not many photos from this day, as I was concentrating on not hitting other boats!

DSC04537.JPG

DSC04517.JPG

• Like 8

Saturday 22nd May.

I had booked a pump out and refuel at Boulters for 8.30am (they ask you to book), so having got breakfast out of the way, I stepped ashore to untie. The wind had dropped completely, and though it was cloudy, it represented a huge improvement on yesterday. I was soon off, making my way first to Boulters, and then back out onto the river and down the Ferry Marina dyke. Looking at how tightly packed some of the boats are, I was glad I had decided not to travel down yesterday in the wind. So now the only trial, was to reverse Goosander into her mooring. This I accomplished without much bother, and was soon hooking her up to the electricity. By 11am, I was ready to leave Goosander in other's hands until the 3rd July, when I'm due back onboard again. As such, it didn't seem the wrench it usually does to have to lock the doors for the final time.

My last meal on the Broads is always at The Yare in Brundall, so I made my way there, arriving around 11.30am. It was a little early for lunch, so I decided to have a stroll around to the Broom moorings to pass a little time. It looked like the whole fleet was in, and they really were gleaming in the sun. By 1pm, I was on my way home at the end of this stormy week on the Broads. 

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC04479.JPG

A curiousity I'd seen near Acle

DSC04440.JPG

A quiz to finish. Where does this path lead from and to?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

DSC04479.JPG

A curiousity I'd seen near Acle

I saw this last time we were afloat - normally I'm not a big fan of modern boats but I actually quite like this. Something between a barge and a narrow boat and an aft cockpit cruiser...

• 1 month later...

Been back a week from my latest trip, so here are the photos and a brief travelogue.

Sunday 4th July.

Couldn't start on the Saturday as had an engagement I needed to attend. I've never been on the Broads at a time when all the boats were out, so wasn't sue what to expect in terms of mooring availability. Normally, I stay at the home base on the first night, but having missed Saturday, my plan was to set off as soon as I arrived and had loaded the bags onboard. I got away at 2pm, and headed for Acle. I had decided to go south this holiday, in the hope I would be leaving the crowds behind. I arrived at Acle at 3.30pm, and was pleased to see a couple of spaces available on the BA side. By 6pm, all spaces either side of the river were taken. I'd booked a table at the Bridge Inn for 6.30pm, and was surprised to see the place still had tables available for walk ins throughout my stay. 

DSC04589.JPG

DSC04590.JPG

DSC04591.JPG

• Like 8

Monday 5th July

I left the moorings at 9.30am, making my way towards Yarmouth, where I would spend the night. It was a breezy day, but pleasant in the sun with the top rolled back. I called the Yacht Station as I passed the old Port of Yarmouth Marina, asking for assistance upon arrival. The tide was still flowing in when I left, but very slowly. By the time I arrived at the Yacht Station, it had turned and was very slowly ebbing. I made my way to the "rendezvous" point, which was just past the Rangers building, turned into the stream and came alongside without any dramas. The guys were there to meet me, and proceeded to tie the boat up correctly for the night. A that stage, the moorings were less than half full. Time for a walk to see the sea.

I was out for around4 hours, calling for the (for me) obligatory chips at one of the market stalls en-route. It was a sunny day, with a stiffening breeze as I got closer to the promenade. Lots of people were out and about enjoying themselves, which was good to see. By the time I got back, closer to low water, the moorings had filled considerably. I had planned to visit the Kings Arms, a couple of streets down from the Yacht Station for my evening meal, but it was closed for the day, having work done. Option B was the Wetherspoons near the bus station, but I didn't fancy that as seaside establishments cna get rowdy on occasions. Instead, I visited the Brewers Fayre place next to the Premier Inn on the opposite bank to the Yacht Station. It was a good alternative, but I would go back to the Kings Arms next time. 

DSC04605.JPG

DSC04604.JPG

DSC04598.JPG

DSC04599.JPG

• Like 6

Tuesday 6th July

They were forecasting 40+ mph gusts this morning. If that was to be the case, I guessed I wouldn't be able to cross Breydon. As it was, the wind did get up in the night and I remember being awoken by lashing rain hitting the roof at some ungodly hour. However, by morning, it had "eased" to 20+ mph. I asked the Yacht Station staff what it was like over Breydon, and they assured me it was do-able. So after filling with water, I left the moorings with the aid of one of the attendants. The tide was flowing in at this point, and as the boat was facing upstream, the current was allowed to push the stern out to such a point that I could reverse out. This manoeuvre would have been very tricky without someone ashore, able to hold the bow against a mooring post. For that alone, I reckon the £13 overnight mooring fee to be good value. And again, without the aid of the staff there, I probably wouldn't be able to stop off at Yarmouth.

So I was battling my way against the incoming tide while travelling under the bridges, and around the yellow post. Breydon was a little choppy - spray over the bow etc, but nothing I haven't experienced before. I was heading for Oulton Broad in more or less one journey. As it was, on reaching St Olaves, I noticed the last mooring on the staithe by the windmill was free, so I decided to stop for half an hour. It's really scenic there, looking downriver to the wilds of the marshes, and upriver to the line of chalets and semi-developments. The tide was still flowing in when I left, so the Yarmouth manoeuvre was repeated, but was more manageable single handed, as the flow was slower. 

I eventually reached Oulton Broad around 2.30pm, a good time to pick a spot in the Yacht Station. The wind was still fresh and I had heard the river slapping against the hull whilst moored at St Olaves, so thought I would be better protected against a sleepless night in the Yacht Station. I like the floating pontoon, but have never been able to bag the last side-on spot, just opposite the white "gin palace" which occupies the other side of the walkway. My luck was in though, as the space was there, just inviting me to come alongside. That I did, though it wasn't straight forward, as I wanted to be facing out onto the Broad, not looking at the station buildings. I turned Goosander, but the wind was blowing her off the pontoon. After a little "jiggling", I got her alongside and tied up. You get a great view there, watching boats come and go.

The rest of the day was occupied by a rather long walk around the area, past the private marinas, then over the lock and down the side of Lake Lothing. My evening meal was taken at The Wherry. It was surprisingly busy, with most tables occupied. The meal was good - I didn't have the carvery - shock!. Then back onboard to watch TV and just relax.

DSC04620.JPG

The weather was quite changeable, as you can see. Low pressure was over the country, and the clouds needed no excuse to unburden themselves!
DSC04617.JPG

DSC04618.JPG

There were very few hire boats in the Yacht Station. I think I counted six at the most, the whole time I was there. 
DSC04621.JPG

Plenty of these around. They seemed to stay in gangs too!
DSC04633.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DSC04633.JPG.a3de7aaa0d6f0949f377100d9b2

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many gangs of geese on the rivers as this year, they seem to be growing in numbers. There is a gang of canada geese that hang out in the Postwick/Thorpe/Whitlingham area  and there is one solitary barnacle goose amongst them. It’s been around for a couple of years, I guess it probably thinks it’s a canada goose now!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Actually, when we last on the Broads (26th June to 2nd July) there was a mysterious shortage of geese on that bend just downstream from Bramerton. On previous visits there has been a huge flock (gang). 

Maybe they were quarantined 😏

• Haha 2

Wednesday 7th July

The wind had abated by now, though showers were still threatening. I put the computer on, only to find my mobile broadband "Three" 12 month sim card had decided it had had enough and was on it's way to collect it's pension. I knew it was imminent but reasoned i could just get a further splodge of data online. It's not that easy. The sim card  directs you to the sales site, but then asks for it's telephone number. Oh, didn't think of that! It wasn't on the sim card and without being able to call it, I couldn't work out a way of finding it's number. Anyway, my plan for the day was to hit Reedham for lunch, then on to The Surlingham Ferry, where a table had my name on it for 6.30pm, with a corresponding mooring. Now where's the best place to but a replacement sim card i wondered? So the plan had now changed to a non-stop chug to Brundall, where I could catch the train to Norwich, where it appears, there are 2 x Three stores. 

All went well, and after a few hours, I spied the lines of chalets marking the start of Brundall. I took a chance that Brooms would let me moor for a few hours, and after seeing that their basin was empty, I carefully came alongside and tied up undercover (I thought). As I was getting ready to leave, a worker came over to ask how long I would be staying. I told him the story and that I expected to be back and on my way in 2 to 3 hours. That was no problem he said, adding that there was a charge of £17.50 for overnighters. I made my way to the station, and on arrival in Norwich, took a taxi to the store. New sim card purchased, I opted to walk back to the station. Suffice to say that I was back out on the Yare 2.5 hours after first tieing up. It had developed into a beautifully warm sunny day, and I was soon looking for my reserved mooring at the Surlingham Ferry. It was in the midst of a gaggle of reverse moored cruisers. That was no problem, but i prefer not to be head to head with people in other boats whilst watching TV (England match tonight), so instead I cruised on to the end of the moorings, where a side on mooring had my name on it (figuratively this time). So as to not waste a mooring place for someone else, I went inside the pub, and asked if they wanted me to remove the reserved sign..... which they did. 

Surlingham Ferry - good food - good experience. Need I say more? Feeling completely stuffed, I probably waddled back to Goosander, turned on the TV, and settled down to watch the England/Denmark game. It had been a mad-dash day, but I was non the worse for it. 

A couple of images from yesterday first

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

You can't park here mate!

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC04635.JPG

DSC04640.JPG

DSC04641.JPG

• Like 4

I make no excuses to say I love The Ferry at Surlingham 

Lovely people bookable moorings great food and beer, very dog friendly and on a sunny day what is better than sitting in their garden pint in hand watching the boats go by, I love it!

Always make it first stop when I collect the boat from Loddon irrespective of which direction I’m going in the morning 

Enjoying your tale during my enforced imprisonment!  😉

thanks

• Like 2