Taking A Gander At Goosander

Monday 23rd November

The problem with winter cruising is that however hard you try to avoid it, you always end up bringing muddy shoes onto the boat. What could I do? After staring the engine, the last act ashore is to untie the ropes, walking on a muddy bank, that had been made worse by the works guys. So get back onboard, wipe plimsolls on doormat excessively, then hope they are clean enough to not walk it all over the floor. I'm thinking two pairs would have been a good idea. Anyway, I was away by 10am, by which time, none of the liveaboards looked to be going anywhere. My overnight destination was Acle, but there was plenty of time, so I decided to have a cruise up to Wayford Bridge, and a walkabout. I usually just pass through on the way to Dilham. 

The sun was out, but it was chilly in the breeze, so after satisfying my curiosity, I set sail again down the Ant, past irstead (which had no boats moored - should I? - no, carry on), then past How Hill, with just two boats moored, under Ludham Bridge, and out onto the Bure. As I headed for Acle, my thoughts wandered to whether there might be liveaboards moored there, so cutting off my access to electricity. I needn't have worried. On arrival, there were NO boats moored, just three fishermen, located at the far end, well away from the posts. It was around 3pm now, and as I was tieing up, they all packed up and left. Was it something I said? 

The moorings here are a delight. Hard core paths, and oodles of electricity. I called the Bridge Inn to book a table for 7pm, had a short walk around the bridge area, then settled back until it was time for the meal. I've been to the Bridge Inn each time I've visited the Broads (except one) over a period of 48 years now. I've seen it in it's many guises, and regarded it as an OK place, just not as spectacular as some people regard it. Tonight was different. My table was in the bar area because the restaurant was closed (probably not enough people for a Tuesday night to open it). I preferred that as it was warm and cosy, and all general life was there. I had a Cottage Pie (specials board) with winter vegetables, and white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake. Both were absolutely delicious. If I had been staying two nights, I would have gone back in and ordered exactly the same on the next night! Anyway, duly stuffed, I made my way back to the boat, and watched TV for the rest of the evening. 

Hunsett Mill. Surely one of the most photographed locations on the Broads
DSC04827.JPG

DSC04828.JPG

San Tropez, the Caribbean, Costa Brava? No silly, it's Barton Broad!
DSC04832.JPG

DSC04837.JPG

DSC04839.JPG

DSC04843.JPG

DSC04849.JPG

DSC04853.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Love your photos and write-up. You were moored pretty much exactly where we were in October. I agree, a lovely mooring. We had never moored on that side before, only further back up on the other bank when it was still Horizon Craft. Definitely one that I would go back to.

We spent a fantastic overnight there in the summer , there was a group of five hire boats all crewed by Chinese families attempting to moor sterne on on Bridgecraft moorings , all of them took (and no exaggeration here) at least 20 attempts to finally make it , each successful mooring was accompanied with cheers and applause from the other boats in their group along with the boats moored opposite , including us 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great photos David.

28 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We spent a fantastic overnight there in the summer , there was a group of five hire boats all crewed by Chinese families attempting to moor sterne on on Bridgecraft moorings , all of them took (and no exaggeration here) at least 20 attempts to finally make it , each successful mooring was accompanied with cheers and applause from the other boats in their group along with the boats moored opposite , including us 

Having moored at Bridgecraft twice this Summer, it's harder than it looks. Even allowing for the tide it caught us more than I expected and pushed sideways a long way.

• Like 1

I’ve have a confession. I haven’t yet stern moored on a riverside mooring as yet. No problem (so far) stern mooring in places like Loddon, Ranworth etc. that are not subject to (sideways) tidal flow. It’s obviously a hurdle I need to get over. I have a plan though. Stern mooring at the Surlingham Ferry Inn when we are next on board Moonlight Shadow in February seems the sensible thing to do. 

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve have a confession. I haven’t yet stern moored on a riverside mooring as yet. No problem (so far) stern mooring in places like Loddon, Ranworth etc. that are not subject to (sideways) tidal flow. It’s obviously a hurdle I need to get over. I have a plan though. Stern mooring at the Surlingham Ferry Inn when we are next on board Moonlight Shadow in February seems the sensible thing to do. 

Hello Helen,

Watch out for the tide when stern mooring at the Ferry Inn, If I am on my own then I moor side on at the last moorings under the trees.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Helen,

Watch out for the tide when stern mooring at the Ferry Inn, If I am on my own then I moor side on at the last moorings under the trees.

Regards

Alan

Yes, it's the tide that's been putting me off. Thinking back, I made a bit of a hash once trying to stern moor at Ferry Marina (No option as we had to hand back the boat somehow!) I did side moor outside the Surlingham Ferry Inn February last year when we went to there to get water before battening down hatches prior to storm Ciara. I really should have had a go at stern mooring whilst there weren't any other boats moored up on that stretch, so it was an opportunity wasted. 

I managed at surlingham, Helen, just about and with a couple of about turns due to the tide taking me downstream more than I thought.  I was embarrassed at the time about having to abort and go again, but once I managed it, I was chuffed!

And the bonus was , there was £22.76 left on the electric just by my mooring, how on earth did it get to that credit?

• Like 2

Hi Ynys I find if you drop your mud weight when stern mooring this will stop your bows swinging with the tide or wind,  then when moored pull weight in  until rope is at a 15/20 degree angle this then will keep your stern away from the bank and prevent it knocking /rubbing. John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Ynys I find if you drop your mud weight when stern mooring this will stop your bows swinging with the tide or wind,  then when moored pull weight in  until rope is at a 15/20 degree angle this then will keep your stern away from the bank and prevent it knocking /rubbing. John

100_3489.thumb.jpg.890bc03053f6a69e6765a51ab631b8e0.jpg

Here is a photo of what John describes, at Surlingham Ferry.

We dropped the mud weight on the full length of line before we had finished backing in.

Always approach a stern mooring against the tide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, YnysMon said:

You'll be fine Helen, its always the first mooring I do after picking up the boat from Pacific at Loddon, so despite being a bit rusty as a once a year boater (although twice this year) I've never had a problem!

However, that might be due to The Ferry House being my favourite pub on the broads and my desperation and determination to get in there kicks in!    :default_wink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated! We'll certainly remember to lower the mud-weight. 

Hello Helen,

Another tip is to move your bow ropes to the centre cleats before you moor and ideally drop the mud weigh whist coming into the mooring. It can be windy at Surlingham and you may need the midpoint ropes to stop you being at an angle. I hve known it to push you all the way down the moorings if the tides and wind are against you.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Tuesday 24th November

Well, having walked all the way from Sutton to Stalham to get more eggs, I decided today was another cooked breakfast day. All went well this time, until I was sat at the table ready to tuck-in when I noticed there was a big space on the plate where the baked beans should be. Ahhh! This cooking in a small strange kitchen lark, is not as easy as it looks. It was soon rectified though, and breakfast resumed. I noticed that the height of the water hadn't varied more than a few inches all the time I was at Acle. I guess the winter floods were to blame. 

Soon it was time to cast off and make my way to my overnight destination, Potter Heigham. I wasn't actually that far away, so I decided to stop off en-route at Ludham - (or Womack Water if you prefer). It would be interesting to see how many craft were moored up. Today was colder than of late, as the skies were overcast all day. It's amazing what difference sunshine makes to the boat, in terms of heat. I think Goosander is just one floating greenhouse when the sun's out. I had the boat heating on and a fleece jacket, but still felt cold. Ludham was deserted except for Clear Gem, which was moored side on against the quay. I'd seen Clear Gem (or one of them), moored at Richardsons, and it's one of their boats that's for sale. My guess is that the crew were "test driving" it for the afternoon. Sadly no photos of it. I filled up with water, (which took an age), had a cup of tea, probably should have done that the other way around :35_thinking: then moved off towards Potter. Again, i wondered if I would find "an electric spot". It's a consideration in winter, as if there was none, it would mean turning around and relocating to somewhere where there was an electric supply. On arrival, there was loads of room. One cruiser and a couple of liveaboards, but no problem with an electricity supply. I moored up, and leapt ashore to examine the meters. One still had 47p on so that's the one I plumped for. £2 on it would see me through to the next day. 

Next, i was striding towards The Norada to see if they would be doing food this evening. On the door was a sign saying it would be open Friday to Monday in the winter. Oh dear. There was only one thing to do, reconvene in Bridgestones for coffee and cake, to decide what to do. What an experience! Bridgestones is a must visit, and even mid-afternoon on a grey Tuesday, people were queueing at the door. After a walk around Lathams, from which I managed to escape without buying anything (I have an appointment with a psychiatrist next week), I decided to walk up to The Falgate to ask the same question as that of the Norada. This place was open and busy too. Food at 7pm? No problem! After a walk around Herbert Woods, I returned to Goosander and with lots of heating, relaxed until it was time for tea! The Falgate was busy, and the new operators certainly seem to be making a go of it. I had fish and chips, and mushy peas. The fish was the size of a trawler! Overall it was a good experience, and I wouldn't hesitate returning. 

Oh what a grey day
DSC04854.JPG

DSC04858.JPG

DSC04859.JPG

DSC04860.JPG

DSC04861.JPG

DSC04862.JPG

DSC04863.JPG

DSC04865.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

Stop watching me!
DSC04868.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, annv said:

I've never tried that but I'd like to do so. Once you've dropped the mudweight, is there any tendency for the stern to drift around before you engage reverse (especially if you're solo and you have to make your way back to the helm)?