Johnny Crowes Staithe - No More !

I am so so disappointed. (And that's putting it mildly)

Why?

My favourite wild mooring spot on the whole of the River Ant (Especially in the fishing season) is now no longer available for the foreseeable.

Again - Why?

Well as per the photo's, a liveaboard vessel has taken up what seems to be permanent residence.  I say permanent as a shed has been erected, along with other items on the bank, and Just how do they manage to accomplish pump out duties?  There isn't any facilities there for sewage disposal that I'm aware of

Now I don't want top fall foul of the TOS so I'm not naming / shaming the larger boat or its reg number. (I didn't check the smaller ones)  I did a check with the Ba under its current and previous names - Not tolled, no surprise there then.   I therefore wonder if it has a current BSS or indeed insured?

Of course the craft and its occupants could be berthed there, with shed and other times with the land owners permission?   Should still need a current toll, BSS and insurance though?

We lost the excellent wild mooring / fishing spot at the north end of the island between Stalham and Sutton Broad, still out of action due to what's left of a sunken wreck.  Now it seems the boating community are to loose what is arguably the best wild mooring on the Ant too :default_badday:

Griff

BA NBN 976.jpg

BA NBN 977.jpg

BA NBN 978.jpg

BA NBN 979.jpg

• Sad 7

The BA have known about this guy for years and still do nothing, :default_sad:

I have never moored there but it does seem to be a popular mooring spot. 

It is indeed very popular and sort after especially with anglers.  It looks like you along with the rest of us now won't have the opportunity in the foreseeable future

Griff

There's just no excuse for this to be allowed by the BA. We saw him a couple of months ago with his semi-permanent "camp" in the reeds near to Sutton Staithe. 

Where he is now is arguably one of the most popular spots on the whole network - any time we pass if it happens to be free (which is a rarity) we dive in to enjoy it.

There's great walking from there, we were planning to stop there when we're up in a couple of weeks - our two year old loves the walk from there. Unless something is done urgently that's us (and hundreds of others I'd guess) that will have to miss out.

In fact is his shed not on a public footpath? 

I wonder if the BA were able to take possession of assets in order to pay court fees and fines this might help to solve this kind of problem. No toll = no boat. 

• Like 2

Update:- It has taken me just short of an hour to get through to the Ba.  The first call was answered straight away when I was informed to report the issue to Broads Control on the phone which I have done so, he tells me the phone is ringing non stop today which is understandable. 

I now need to email them to make it more 'Official' which I will do.  Broads control have informed me that they are aware of the situation, they also know that the vessel is not tolled.  There will be a Ranger and the Broads Beat visiting the boat / owner some point today

Griff

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Update:- It has taken me just short of an hour to get through to the Ba.  The first call was answered straight away when I was informed to report the issue to Broads Control on the phone which I have done so, he tells me the phone is ringing non stop today which is understandable. 

I now need to email them to make it more 'Official' which I will do.  Broads control have informed me that they are aware of the situation, they also know that the vessel is not tolled.  There will be a Ranger and the Broads Beat visiting the boat / owner some point today

Griff

Good on you for taking action, and for taking the time to report it. Let's hope something is actually done about it.

If it happens to be free when we next go past, I shall stay for a week and build a small residence...:default_coat:

• Haha 3

Bigger problem regarding tolls etc but not the mooring with  a livaboard probably revolves around not being able to make them homeless and if on benefits obtaining  a worthwhile prosecution, as in all walks of life to many know how to play the system.

Fred

• Sad 1

The thing is when the boat was 'Berthed' on the Port bank on Sutton Broad I had an attitude of - Live and let live, non payment of Tolls / Bss / Insurance was the Ba's responsibility, yes he was freeloading but that was for the Ba to sort out, my biggest concern was the environmental impact of waste going direct into the river - If indeed it was

The Johnny Crowes Staithe location is on a whole new level as it is impacting on everyone and anyone that wants to make use of that mooring and imho it is just not on, putting it mildly 

Griff

• Like 10

I have heard a rumour, so this cannot be taken as gospel, that the occupants have a 'syndicate'' of owners. They keep changing the name of the registered owner of the boat to stay one step ahead of the authorities. As fast as paperwork is prepared to enable action to be taken, ownership changes and it is back to square one.

New law regarding tresspass making this a criminal offence rather than a civil offence might prevent this, but could also have implications for wild mooring all over the Broads.

This is very interesting Topic. As to Griff pointing a few things along with NBN Members Non paying Tolls that's Breaking the Law  could B A get the bailiffs in?  How the Hell did that person got the Boat in the first place? And Getting Diesel as to Having  Pump outs where too ? I do hope this person is not polluting the River or being unsanitary like on Land ? This person is smart I bet you all this needs to be a kept careful eye out on this situation. 

Passed there this morning and broads beat and Ba ranger was talking to owner . Was gonna try and moor there yesterday but alas could not . Hopefully it is dealt with soon but I will not hold my breath . 

• Like 1

It seems , by the witnessed action, that the BA is taking some action in this instance which goes to prove that if the correct and appropriate measures are taken by river users in reporting such matters then the BA do and will respond .

As we are all aware official cogs turn very slowly so I don’t feel there will be an overnight change in circumstances but at least we know that something is being done to address the matter .

Well done Griff in reporting this and following it up 

• Like 4

Johnny Crowe's is indeed a fantastic mooring spot. It's one of those places where someone else always seems to get there first and I think that aspect added to my enjoyment the one and only time I managed to moor there. I hope this issue is sorted soon.

• Like 1

can I remind people that while this is an important issue, Griff has done the correct thing by putting the matter in the hands of the correct Authorities.

We are not here to condemn peoples lifestyle choices, if someone chooses to live on board a boat, that is their free choice, but the moderator team wont allow this discussion to degenerate into a discussion of anyone's personal habits or problems, firstly we have absolutely no idea why they have ended up in the situation they are in, and secondly we are in no position to be judgemental about them, (and thirdly, such judgements will invariably fall foul of the TOS of this forum).

the moderation team would like to thank you for remembering to check whether your comments are really suitable for a family oriented forum in future posts, before posting.

Thank You

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, grendel said:

the moderation team would like to thank you for remembering to check whether your comments are really suitable for a family oriented forum in future posts, before posting.

Try this one then . . . .

If you applied for planning permission to put up a garden shed on the banks of the Ant on land which is an old staithe at the end of one of the most pleasant country walks in the area, would you get it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Try this one then . . . .

If you applied for planning permission to put up a garden shed on the banks of the Ant on land which is an old staithe at the end of one of the most pleasant country walks in the area, would you get it?

A good question, and one I m sure the local planning authority would have no problem answering, though it might be dependant upon owning the land in question, or obtaining permission from the landowner, and even then might be rejected.

• Like 1

Since the land concerned is apparently owned by a local parish council, then i would assume that they too would have a say in the location of a shed on their property, That local council would seem to own the land that the footpath along that section of bank, and points inland runs on.

• Like 1

As agrieved as we may be we need to remember that the BA only have limited powers, the parish council may have more say here but even they are constrained by the legal process, its a sad fact in our so called democracy that transgressors can play the system for a considerable period of time while the authorities have to abide by legal processes.

Fred

• Like 2

Just for the sake of accuracy, those concerned have NOT erected a shed on  that land.. The shed is on a raft and gets towed around by **** as and when he moves his chosen spot. It (the shed) was at Sutton Broad for some time and latterly on a wild mooring at the Sutton-Stalham junction.

Whether it is tolled is another question, one which I will leave the Broads Authority to ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2