What do you miss most

Antares_9

Paul’s recent post set me thinking a bit, what do you miss most about your past boating, for me it was the teenage and early twenties years of beach launching and recovery of small angling boats and whizzing out silly distances to offshore marks, the closeness to the sea and elements taught me a lot and I do find myself hankering after giving it another go in a little Shetland Alaska 500 or similar. Probably rose coloured glasses like most things we miss from our past, but still........

Fishing in the Thames Estuary in an 18ft Dory.

Pulling the boat up on a sand bank raking for cockles and clams as extra bait and then dropping back a bit and fishing the bank on the flood.

Learned more about water craft and Nav in those years than I think I have since.

Ice scating on Hoveton broad with my Mum Dad Bro' and Dog, :norty: digging to see how thick the ice was and giving up at about 10 inches!

also regular swimming trips to Wroxham/Salhouse broad, Cain meadow and Horstead Mill.

Dad told me about when he used to swim in Oulton Broad down the end where the wind blew all the boat rubbish, there were always plenty of rats to keep you company!

Not really sure if I miss the swimming in the merky dill though :(

My 30' Fairline Mirage aft cabin.

Sold it and bought the Fairline 40 for the extra room and vroom but the fun went out of boating due to it's size. With the Mirage, it was cast off and go but with the 40 it was like planning to go on an expedition even if we wanted to go out for just an hour :(

Sitting on the river bank and spotting the new generation of sexy fibreglass boats .... so much nicer than those drab, wooden vessels that used to clog up the waterway ..... especially the moonraker, soo 007!!!

Sitting on the bank at Burgh Castle with some scrumped apples and a Park Drive between about four of us and hurtling abuse at the few boats that chugged past only to hear the old chestnut, "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I'LL BE ROUND TO SEE YOUR DAD LATER". It put the fear of god up me i'll tell ya! For days i'd be cutting the grass, doing the dishes and getting stuck into my homework wondering when he would appear at the door. He never came. Funny i do it now and they tell me to F off. Oh and dont forget bread and butter pud, Spotted Dick, Politeness, respect, longer summers and Trophy Bitter. (I did mention boats) :?

Memories of my early years spent in Norfolk, the Coypu being caught in their cages and displayed as trophies to the locals at the 'Crown inn' at Haddiscoe, the little cottage there were we lived for a couple of years or so, (I would love to take another look around it today) the old Johnsons yacht station, and the craftsmen who used to build the wooden boats there, i loved the smell of their workshop, and the smell of freshly cut timber still reminds me of the place today.

The smoke houses and bloater shop in Gt Yarmouth, the Hot peas stalls on the market place, and later the Chalet park at the foot of Haddiscoe bridge, and the old Wolsley cars we used to travel their in, the black 4/40/4 and the two tone beige 16/60 :)

I suppose also i miss being fairly young and fit again, ideally probably i would like to be in my early 30s again, my young family complete, with a fairly good career, no health problems, and happily married to Bill, with a fairly nice lifestyle and not needing to pill pop everyday lol :dance

Julz :wave

Surging through Hurst Gap (Solent) in a big chop, in bright sparkly sunshine - a bit of power on, and that lovely reassuring soft ride from the semi-displacement hull. Oh, and several pints in The Wheatsheaf once arrived in Yarmouth, IOW. Water taxi from mooring to pub, riding round Yarmouth harbour in the dinghy late at night, looking at boats and taking in the nautical atmosphere.

Could it be recaptured? Maybe, but it was years ago and probably best left as memories.

:wave hi all the funniest thing i miss from when i was a youngster was seeing men in teddyboy outfits & haircuts, those skinny trousers,don't know how on earth they got into them, & seeing women in those pretty big dresses which had alot of lacy underwear under them. & the big hair styles, it must have been a nightmare trying to look nice all the time on a boat :lol::lol: lori

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

What do i miss most of all?. Well, first it would have to be Maffett cruisers "Kingfisher", built on a DC30 hull with a timber top. I loved that boat and had more broads holidays on her than any other boat 79, 80, 83, 86, 88 92 and 2003. I still think they should never have sold her, and hope they will buy her back if she comes up for sale. And secondly, Aston boats from Loddon. It was where i had my first ever Broads holiday at 11 years old, and on a brand new Aston Orion. Now i`m getting all nostalgic :cry::cry: