Just Back From My 1st Experience

Apologies , my posting wasn’t in any way meant to be insinuating that you were seeking pub moorings every evening but more a generalisation .

The moorings downstream of the bridge in Wroxham (Hoveton) are without doubt the most scarce unless using a hire boatyard , if I go to Wroxham my only options being a private boat are paid moorings outside the hotel or in Barnes moorings ( for which a private boat has to pay) , a hire boat may also use Barnes or NBD (but preferable not on their main change over days) at no cost.

Hopefully on subsequent holidays you will feel more confident in helming and be able to use these facilities more , many first time hirers are , understandably, nervous/cautious and avoid these congested areas but as long as you go slowly and are aware of the swing of the stern of your vessel don’t worry , we all have to learn through experience and at slow speeds the fenders do their job very well 

• Like 2

Not sure that negative comments about mooring will help the area sustain repeat business. Even in Peak periods there was enough moorings, especially if you plan ahead and do not leave it too late in the day. Even with the reduction in moorings due to bank enhancements and BA reduction. Let’s hope people enjoy the break. It is a great alternative to staying at home.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Funny thing is I don't remember a great deal more moorings back then, but I do remember 3 times as many boats

I guess there were many more boatyard moorings to be had back then. I think you're right that more people stay north than used to be the case. I don't think short breaks existed back in the 60s and 70s, so more would travel north to south and vice versa. The situation today all adds up to pressure on moorings in the north. New holidaymakers to the Broads are fed the idyllic images of having a meal or a drink outside a picturesque watering hole. Why wouldn't they go looking for one? If the Broads Authority and the boatyards really had an eye on a long-term resurgence of Broads hire boating, they would be doing all they could to arrange pontoon moorings in some of the oversubscribed areas, planning and landowner permissions notwithstanding of course. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Haven’t used them for ages but I seem to remember the figure of £20 being mentioned on here , I’m sure someone in the know will be along soon 

I think it was £10 without electric last year.  Herbert Woods charged us £10 in April including electric and Richardson's didn't want any money!!  They were aware it was a private boat and we were plugging into the electric so I was a tad surprised and even asked if they were sure!

• Like 2

I think we are going to be very lucky to get down south when we come in the first week in September.  I've printed off the slack water passage times for the week that we are there and unless we do a very early start as soon as possible after sunrise on the two days that are feasible, it's not going to happen :default_sad:  we always managed it before and loved Beccles and Loddon to name but a couple of places.  Hey Ho, we'll still enjoy the north!!

Chris

I know they can be deemed as a pain sometimes, getting in the way when mooring and having to drag them around everywhere, (not the wife), but to help take the pressure off finding moorings we normally have the dinghy in tow. This way if we leave it too late or just don’t want to raft up or cram in with others at crowed spots, we can in most cases still enjoy a beer/meal in a pub, or get to a landing spot for a walk, from either a wild mooring or popping the weight over on a broad. This way you always have a plan “B”, with a few get you out of trouble quick meals and a good stock of drinks on board just in case 😉. It’s not for everyone, but something to ponder upon, if it may make life easier in some cases?

Cheers 

Paul

I tend to prefer wild moorings or mudweighting, but have never failed to manage a mooring somewhere, for example if I see an empty mooring spot at horning staithe i will pop in and go do some shopping, then off somewhere else to moor up for the night (usually above wroxham bridge if i am in the area, viaduct moorings, bridge broad on the mudwight, or even wroxham village moorings (Malt Staithe)- this is after the big loop above Wroxham bridge and has room for 1 or 2 boats.

Lots have commented all ready but I too wanted to add that your approach to the sailing boat sounds perfect. It sounds like those following you hadn't done their research like you had. Also, well done for trying to find out a bit beforehand - many don't. As with anything, you get better with experience! 

The Broads and a boat holiday is great but I always set the expectation for first time friends - it is basically like a floating caravan. We always hire the cheapest we can find as the basic boats have everything we expect. I cannot endorse Richardson's of Statham enough for the basic boating experience. 

• Like 1

Waiting for the flappy thing skipper to indicate where to go is a very good starting point. However. They often give no indication. What do you do follow it for the rest of its journey waiting or use your initiative. Watch the pattern of its movements to work out the best way to get past. I always go astern of the flappy thing preferably when it is about to start its longest path before returning. 

I have followed someone who just waited when there was more than enough time to row past let alone motor. They just kept waiting.

Once they turn away from your side of the river scoot past. For some reason some people wait until the sailey is on the far side before making their move, which might mean they haven't cleared the sailey's path when the sailey in on their way back. From the perspective of the sailey, that's a tad annoying. It's okay on wide stretches of the river, like the Bure below St Benet's, but on a river with restricted width it effectively stalls the sailey as they aren't able to build up speed before the next tack. 

on the Ant, do you try and overtake on the short tack, or the shorter tack, I mean on that stretch of river, there is barely much more room behind than a boat width, so they will be turning fairly quickly after again.

• Haha 1