Drink Driving

So I'm just back from my first Broads boat hire experience.

Now, I like a drink, but normally in a Pub. However, I was a little shocked at the drinking mentality on the broads.

When my wife and I were loading our luggage into the boat, on day one, the couple next to us (in their late sixties, maybe seventies) were loading six boxes of beer onboard! 

I also saw skippers piloting their boats with the wheel in one hard, beer in the other.

Then there were the day-boats, on a sunny day, which appeared to often contain drunken young people.

Maybe I'm just a kill-joy?

This modern trend for supermarket beer must really be hurting the pubs, mind you the cost of a pint in a pub does them no favors. They are in dancer of pricing themselves out out the market, I'd suggest.

Maybe if I had a stiff drank while skippering the boat, my skills might have improved!:default_winko:

• Like 3

there are no specific limits on the boats, but generally one person in the crew should be sober enough to helm the boat responsibly, i am not adverse to supping a crabbies ginger beer while helming, but thats generally over several hours.

It is still legal to have a drink and drive.

There is a limit as to the amount you can drink so the same should be for boating.

I liked a pint at lunch time but usually we were moored up for the day having set off early to enjoy the quieter times.

Paul

2 hours ago, LondonGuy said:

the couple next to us (in their late sixties, maybe seventies) were loading six boxes of beer onboard! 

Lightweights...

I also saw skippers piloting their boats with the wheel in one hard, beer in the other.

Poor show, the other hand is for the rum, they have other bits to steer with... (feet you filthy minded gits)

Maybe if I had a stiff drank while skippering the boat, my skills might have improved!

Now you are getting the hang of boating. :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Warm day, gentle cruise, cold beer... I've always found it a winning combination.

Although it wasn't us last week, at any given start of cruise we will probably look like a couple in their 60s loading cases of beer onboard

Never been anywhere near drunk in charge of a boat and never will though. It's all about refreshment and relaxation... for us anyway :default_beerchug:

Guest Jayfire

I never even realised it was an option to be on the boat and not have drink or ten :facepalm:

Oh well, better not start trying new things at my time of life :default_drinks:

I've said on here before, but when I'm aboard with our large family group my general rule is know my limit, and then stop a few pints before I get there. If it's just me and my wife then I tend to drink even less.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a few when on the helm in my opinion, provided you can still act responsibly.

I’m always surprised by how it seems to be acceptable to drink alcohol while helming. In my view it should be frowned on just the same as drink driving. I don’t touch a drop in either case. Always seems a shame to me if people feel they need alcohol to have a good time. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, grendel said:

there are no specific limits on the boats, but generally one person in the crew should be sober enough to helm the boat responsibly, i am not adverse to supping a crabbies ginger beer while helming, but thats generally over several hours.

You'll need some whiskey with that :default_biggrin:

1 minute ago, eddybear said:

You'll need some whiskey with that :default_biggrin:

not while helming, its refreshing, only slightly alcoholic, and i like the flavour, also a lot easier to prepare in advance when I am solo helming, I cant just pop back and put the kettle on without mooring up first.

Byelay 83 (Navigation byelaws 1995) would seem to be the relevant one:

"A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel."

That is obviously open to a lot of interpretation. I have always kept the quantity down until moored up for the night, although on the 3RR a small beer to celebrate rounding a mark or transiting a bridge is traditional. (Or at least it is on the boats I've raced).

8 minutes ago, Speleologist said:

, although on the 3RR a small beer to celebrate rounding a mark or transiting a bridge is traditional. (Or at least it is on the boats I've raced).

But the alcohol does not meet the race requirement for food and drink for 24hours for each person on board.:default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

I don't see a problem drinking a few beers. I don't drink wine or any form of spirit's can't stand the stuff..I honed my beer drinking skills in the British Army and seem to have hollow legs lol. The problem nowadays is its just not alcohol that's being consumed. Personally can't think of anything better then plodding along the river in the sunshine cold beer the wife with a glass of wine and a bit of background music absolutely Perfect. 

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
15 minutes ago, andyg said:

Personally can't think of anything better then plodding along the river in the sunshine cold beer the wife with a glass of wine and a bit of background music absolutely Perfect. 

Now the lady likes a wine or two as you all know, and also as you all know I never touch the stuff.

It does seem to keep her quiet however and my boat insists on one or two beers whilst she works away, so as you say, boat chugging away, Grace keeping her trap shut so I can enjoy the journey........perfect :default_hiding:

20210607_172516.jpg

2 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Now the lady likes a wine or two as you all know, and also as you all know I never touch the stuff.

It does seem to keep her quiet however and my boat insists on one or two beers whilst she works away, so as you say, boat chugging away, Grace keeping her trap shut so I can enjoy the journey........perfect :default_hiding:

20210607_172516.jpg

You lucky man, wine seems to have the opposite effect on my wife sadly. She could talk the legs of a table after a few wines hence the music. My daughter tells me it's against my wife's human rights to gag her. So a dinghy and 40ft of rope is the only other reasonable solution I could think of. 

• Haha 3