4 plus 1 - First Time Broaders!

Guest Trelaig

Hello, this is my first post on behalf of a family of 4, plus 1 dog, anticipating our first Broads holiday in August this year. 2 adults, children aged 13 & 11, and a 6 year old Bearded Collie. :grin:

We're a very laid back family, up for most challenges, and our aim from this holiday is to have some quality family time together, dog walks, chilling, good pub food, and the occasional technical challenge with knots and tidal effects. :lol:

We're setting off from Herbert Woods, Potters Heigham on Saturday 27th August, on board Commanding Light. We've booked for a week but didn't cotton on that it was Bank Holiday weekend when we booked! No bother, we'll just hope to set off from home early and get there in good time. :clap

We've been reading a few threads on this forum already, but I was hoping for a bit of direct advice to specific questions... Please feel free to signpost me to previous relevant threads! :arrow:

My main concern is our dog, Texas. :dog: Personally, I'd have preferred a canal where we could get off and walk alongside, but I had to concede when the majority vote opted for The Broads. Which route/direction is best to take on The Broads, to get in some lovely off lead walking? I don't mind leaving the boat and meeting up with it somewhere else later on, but he'll need a good hourly walk daily and I wouldn't want to hold up the progress of the boat by having to moor up!

We don't want to cook if we can avoid it. We're hoping for a good recommendation for some pubs, where we can take Tex with us even if only outside in a beer garden. I think one of the boat rules is not to leave dogs on board on their own... :norty:

T'other half has just read that there is a beer festival in GY on Sunday 28th August - can we get there from our boatyard in time? cheersbar

Shopping for food - we're travelling a fair distance and don't want to overdo things with basic supplies taking valuable car space. Besides, the dog will probably eat most of it en route. :) Where's good for that sort of shopping near to the boatyard? :?

Boat driving age - can Boy Child Number 1, who is 11, legally drive the boat? Or at least, can he 'have a go'? :pirate He's very sensible and would take it far more seriously than me! I'd heard something about them needing to be over 8 years old, but I might have been dreaming it :oops:

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/pointers...

Tre.

T'other half has just read that there is a beer festival in GY on Sunday 28th August - can we get there from our boatyard in time?

Technically, yes it could be done. You could leave Herbert Woods, say at 4 o’clock and motor down to Acle. This would take a couple of hours. Bear in mind Acle is popular and in August moorings will be at a premium. You could then set off to GY on Sunday morning. Downside is you would be going against the tide on Sunday morning, so it will probably take 3 hours plus a fair bit of fuel! As an alternative you could moor at Acle and catch a train into GY although the station at Acle is a fair walk from the bridge moorings. Or moor at the Pontiac further downstream and get a cab into GY.

Virtually every pub on the Broads does meals so no problem there. Also many are doggy friendly, the Bridge at Acle and the Dog at Ludham Bridge for example are dog friendly and do excellent grub (and beer).

cheersbar

Shopping for food - we're travelling a fair distance and don't want to overdo things with basic supplies taking valuable car space. Besides, the dog will probably eat most of it en route. Where's good for that sort of shopping near to the boatyard?

Nearest (good, large) supermarkets to Potter Heigham are probably Roys at Wroxham (Hoveton) and Tesco’s at Stalham. There is a store called Lathams at Potter Heigham but is more of a discount clothing and household store, sells some food but limited choice particularly fresh stuff.

cheersbar

Boat driving age - can Boy Child Number 1, who is 11, legally drive the boat? Or at least, can he 'have a go'? He's very sensible and would take it far more seriously than me! I'd heard something about them needing to be over 8 years old, but I might have been dreaming

Think its OK but they MUST be under constant adult supervsion at all times. If an un-supervised child had a bump you could be liable.

cheersbar

Oh.. and a very warm welcome!!!!!! cheersbarcheersbar

Hello, this is my first post on behalf of a family of 4, plus 1 dog, anticipating our first Broads holiday in August this year. 2 adults, children aged 13 & 11, and a 6 year old Bearded Collie. :grin: ...

My main concern is our dog, Texas. :dog: Personally, I'd have preferred a canal where we could get off and walk alongside, but I had to concede when the majority vote opted for The Broads. Which route/direction is best to take on The Broads, to get in some lovely off lead walking?

We don't want to cook if we can avoid it. We're hoping for a good recommendation for some pubs, where we can take Tex with us even if only outside in a beer garden. I think one of the boat rules is not to leave dogs on board on their own... :norty:

Tre.

You might find my holiday tale from last August useful, as we had Missy, a Jack Russel, with us for that week long trip, and managed to moor at or near a pub every night.. http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9221

Personally I would go for a early morning walk, stop at a mooring somewhere around lunch time, and then walkies again in the evening before you head for the pub!

Plenty of footpaths around that you can use but you may have to do some road work as well if you want to do a long circular walk, so take a good detailed land map with you as well as your navigation map of the rivers.

Don't worry about "holding the boat up" you probably won't want to do too many hours of cruising every day unless you are aiming to cover both the Northern and Southern Broads in one week (I would take it easy and stay up north if you only have a week, unless your boat won't go through Wroxham or Wayford bridges, when you might want to look further afield to expand your cruising area) and if you want to get near to a pub I wouldn't aim at looking for a mooring late (they get busy fairly early).

I found a nice circular from Ranworth staithe going towards South Walsham Broad and coming back via the Souith Walsham - Ranworth road.

The area around Salhouse Broad also gives you some nice paths through the woods etc.

For a real long one there is always the path alongside the Bure Valley Railway, i.e. Hoveton to Ailsham..., or walk some of it and catch a train back...

Missy is getting to the stage where she doesn't really like long walks these days so I didn't do too many long walks with her, but did go wandering off on my own with my camera (if only to escape from the five kids...), but remember that the lanes are fairly quiet traffic wise so road walking is easier than in many other areas.

Hope you have a good first trip, and I might have this year's tale up before you go as we will be out again from 13th - 20th August this year.

Martin

Trelaig, Hi and welcome aboard from us...

Your only problem with Gt Yarmouth is that it's likely to be mega-crammed during the school hols... both on the moorings and in town/the beach.

Personally I would by-pass it and head towards Norwich where the Southern rivers will be far less crowded. Then get the bus/train into GY from Reedham/ Cantley or Norwich.

All the pubs on the Broads have somewhere where you can walk your dog and the Southern ones tend to have more space.... in general.

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful advice, and the time you've taken to answer our thread... Your warm welcome is appreciated!

T'other half can't remember where in GY the beer festival was being held, and he can only recall it was 28th August cheersbar

Goodall_m1 - it was your holiday tale that led me to this forum. I Googled 'dog' and 'Norfolk Broads' and fell upon your story. T'other half has read it too, and he's now confident that he understands the concept of 'springing'. I just hope that if he leaves me on the side, I've got some beer money in my pocket! :lol:

In regard to Boy Child driving, he'll be fully supervised by the back seat driver AKA T'other half :norty:

Quite looking forward to it really, maybe a touch apprehensive about whether there might be enough to do to prevent boredom, but we're definately in the need of a wind down and can only hope the weather stays kind :)

Don't worry, you never get bored on the Broads!!

Have good one and please let us know how you get on!!

cheersbarcheersbar

Thank you, but I'm sure you'll hear lots more useless demands for information before we travel ;)

We're setting off from Herbert Woods, Potters Heigham on Saturday 27th August, on board Commanding Light. We've booked for a week but didn't cotton on that it was Bank Holiday weekend when we booked! Tre.

Tre: I have lifted the following from another thread (The Bell at Salhouse) as you will be out on the Bank Holiday Weekend...

Hi Everybody,

If the weather is kind to us they will be playing in the garden.

The 28th August is also going to be a big fund raising event for help for heroes, if we raise £250 then I will be getting my head shaved, £50 more and there goes one eyebrow another £50 and there goes the other :o .

We are looking for teams of 4 to take part in it's a knockout, we'll have a bouncy castle, lots of events, fun and games.

This all commences after Salhouse Broads annual raft race.

cheers

Steve

So it looks like the Salhouse Broads annual raft race is on that weekend as well..

Martin

So it looks like the Salhouse Broads annual raft race is on that weekend as well..

Martin

Ooooh, I'm always up for a bit of fun, even if it's purely to embarrass my children!! :naughty:

I'm feeling reassured that things will be fine on The Broads, and we'll get a good combination of kid and dog stimulation. Thank you to everyone who has contributed. :)

We actually have 2 dogs, but we have made the very tough decision to leave our 8 year old girl at home with friends. She has a severe spinal problem and she loves water - the two won't mix if she's spending the week wet through from jumping off the boat to play in the water! :?

When you say moor up early at the pubs, how early is 'early'? :roll:

Thanks again.

Tre.

Hi Tre

Probably before 4 o'clock! Places like Horning are very popular and moorings are at a premium. The trick if you can is to moor up when everyone else is on the move ideally but don't let this dicatate your holiday. If you can set off a little earlier and moor up a little earlier you will get the benefit. For example don't wait until everyone has had a shower, try setting off and the crew can shower on the move, the water will get hotter too when under way.

cheersbar

Ooooh, I'm always up for a bit of fun, even if it's purely to embarrass my children!! :naughty:

Details are on http://www.salhousebroad.org.uk/blog.php?show=Raft%20Race%202011

In summary (from the above website)

-----------------------

Get a team of FOUR together and send in the team submission form with a cheque for £40 (per team).

Rafts are ready made, so all you need to do is turn up and race. First race will be at 11am with a safety talk for teams at 10am. The final race will take place mid-afternoon.

-----------------------

Pity our trip finishes the previous weekend!

Could be quite a sight!

Martin

Hi Guys,

I'm the landlord at Salhouse Bell and thankyou for continuing our thread onto this page. My I just add that we do offer a free lift from Salhouse Bell Car Park in a people carrier. Either give us a call or see us down the broad on 28th August if you would like to take us up on this.

The raft race is a superb laugh and the Rock band we have playing at the pub that night are absolutely superb and I am sure it will be a great family event. May I also point out that we are dog friendly.

I hope you don't feel I am imposiing.

Regards

Steve