Wild Mooring Gems

clairenw

Looking for some advice on wild moorings please! We did Northern broads last year. Loved some of the quiet places we found on the river ant, moored up on banks with a few trees/"hills"/windmills around (not just flat with reeds). Hubby likes to do a bit of fishing while I paint the landscape. So somewhere quiet and scenic is what we like. Ideally with the evening sun and a bit of bank to sit on. I expect lots of people want the same, so I'm not sure how willing anyone will be to reveal these mooring gems. 

Any suggestions for us please? Are the southern broads worth a shot?

on the southern broads its not so easy to find wild moorings, but they are there if you want to look for them, some of my favorites are on the waveney, one is a short section of quay heading on the right bank just a bit above the waveney river centre, up at geldeston staithe (the leg that doesnt go to the locks) if you can get under beccles bridge, you can mudweight on surlingham broad, and there are a couple of sneaky spots for a small boat on the wide corners of the river chet (its a bit too narrow at  other points) other than that a lot of the sections of mooring down south are generally quite remote from civilisation and are quite beautiful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

on the southern broads its not so easy to find wild moorings, but they are there if you want to look for them, some of my favorites are on the waveney, one is a short section of quay heading on the right bank just a bit above the waveney river centre, up at geldeston staithe (the leg that doesnt go to the locks) if you can get under beccles bridge, you can mudweight on surlingham broad, and there are a couple of sneaky spots for a small boat on the wide corners of the river chet (its a bit too narrow at  other points) other than that a lot of the sections of mooring down south are generally quite remote from civilisation and are quite beautiful.

Thank you, that's encouraging!  Also happy to receive suggestions on Northern broads :)

The Ant probably has quite a lot of wild moorings, especially upstream of How Hill. There are some dotted about on the Bure also. They tend to provide an excellent alternative to the favoured mooring places and although popular, there's always free spaces somewhere.

• Like 1

Hardley Mill (£5) for the night has electric and is on a pontoon, so no rise and fall of the tide to be concerned about.  Lovely , but just lovely walks from there.   You can walk easily to Hardley Dyke and see a very pictures scene with all the boats moored in the dyke.   Wide open spaces and lots of lovely sunsets is what I wish for you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Hardley Mill (£5) for the night has electric and is on a pontoon, so no rise and fall of the tide to be concerned about.  Lovely , but just lovely walks from there.   You can walk easily to Hardley Dyke and see a very pictures scene with all the boats moored in the dyke.   Wide open spaces and lots of lovely sunsets is what I wish for you.

Couldn’t agree more - one of my favourite moorings. 

• Like 1

The one good thing about mooring down South is that there are some good 24hr moorings with strong posts and you know that when the tide falls a lot and on some occasions it can really do that you still have water below you.      Just keep an eye on your ropes, check and double check and then it will all be a breeze.     Dont leave it to the last minute to moor ,  start off nice and early and have a good day and moor up by 3 p.m.    Especially when the fishing season starts as the waterways do get a tad busy.

I have just re-read my post regarding Hardley Mill and I am sure I typed picturesque.   Goodness only knows what happened to the que at the end and I ended up with the word pictures.   Strange.

One last thing and you will find it invaluable during your trip is,   a Tide Time Table.   The link below allows you to pop in your dates when you will be on the river and you can check daily whether the tide is with you or against.     Helps no end when mooring to know what the tide is doing.

http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp?StartDate=09/06/2021&lines=7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1