Look What I've Found!

CeePee1952

Guest MrTumble

Ok, I gotten a bit cross wiv dis fread innit

How we talk nowadays is sic, you get me bruv? Bear with me cos I've been onboarding our new guy at work and he showed me dis new app, can't remember the name like, but it as an haitch in it somewhere or somefink, I can't be more pacific

Anyway, my bad, I forgot what I is gonna say

Word. Peace Out

Guest MrTumble
Just now, Gracie said:

I think most people can spell, it's just typo's most of the time, that's typing errors by the way :default_biggrin:

I know someone who types more typo's than correct word's :default_norty:

I have pet hates too, but I also think we are speaking a living language, so evolution is inevitable.  ‘Variants of concern ‘ today are normal usage tomorrow. 
Also, using language to define membership of a group is as old as the hills, innit? 😋

• Haha 1

Guest MrTumble
20 minutes ago, Polly said:

Dunno Ray…

changing tack

splicing the main brace 

watch the burgee 

three sheets to the wind ….

Us stinkies have a few sayings of our own too...

Wang it over to the left, we're gonna be in the reeds in a minute

What's this idiot boat with the big sheet doing all over the river

Can't you get it close to the bank, I can't jump that far

That'll be another gel coat repair then. Well done

I'll come back around and pick you up love, I didn't know you wasn't back on the boat

I love language and the use of language although, students of mine were more than aware that language I deemed 'too damp to be wearable' would result in a thesis that was neither read nor graded. Pet hates include Americanisms. So 'gotton' and 'fess up' I find to be irritating. I once had an American colleague tell me he was 'goated by the incorrect use of the English Language and its idioms'. As an historian the American use of 'ahead of' instead of using the word 'before' annoys me. But what gets me totally and thoroughly 'goated' is the ever increasing use of the Trumpism 'so-called'. It either is or it isn't, and if it is then call it that, if it isn't there was no need to mention it. 

My favourite misuse of language, a schoolboy error as this was from a schoolboy urgently waving his hand at his teacher.
"Miss! Miss! I've gone and putton 'putton' when I should have putton put!".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

And what about "Can I get" meaning "May I have"

You hear it all the time, in the pub, can I get a pint of bitter, if I was the barperson I would reply, 'no, I get the pint, you pay for it'.