Arrival Day?

Guest Trelaig

Hello All

Hope you don't mind this thread, I've read a few threads on the theme of food shopping but I can't see any specific answers to what we can expect on arrival day...

Let me set the scene...

We're first timers on this kind of holiday, and we're setting off from Lancashire in the early-ish hours of Saturday 27th August (Bank Holiday weekend :yawn: ) 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 large-ish dog and clothes enough to last a week. Plus fishing tackle. Plus picnic chairs. You get the picture I'm sure... ;)

We're a Herbert Woods customer, and Potters Heigham is our boat pick-up location. (Commanding Light - any feedback?)

We don't want to bring lots of food supplies with us due to lack of space in the car, so what would you suggest is the best order of things on the day?

Should we arrive at the boatyard, dump our stuff, then head out to a shop for food supplies? Or should we stop off for supplies before parking up the car for a week at the boatyard? Is it sensible to allow T'other half and kids do the boat familiarisation whilst I do a shop? Do I need the car to shop, if so, how easy is it to get parked up at the yard again?

We plan to eat most meals in the pubs so we're only looking for lunches, snacks, treats, beer, wine, dog food, beer, wine, treats, wine... cheerscheersbarcheersice slice Maybe a couple of disposable BBQ's too. Are there many shopping opportunities to get mid week supplies?

Lots of questions, sorry :)

Thanks in advance.

Tre.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

As first time hirers I can understand the full car situation, It took us about 2 years of boat ownership before Heather realised there was a perfectly good kitchen sink on the boat already. :lol:

If you are the one that will be mostly charged with the running of the boat then make sure you are present at the handover instruction. It is a lot to take in in a short space of time without complicating things with Chinese whispers.

As Rod so wisely points out, Check the size of the fridge before shopping, a lot of boats have very small fridges.

As you work your way round the Broads you will find plenty of local shops, Buy what you need to get going and then pick the rest up on route.

Above all have a great time. cheersbar

Hi

On the Northern Broads – i.e above GY – there are supermarkets at Roys of Wroxham and Stalham as Rod has mentioned. There is also a Budgens supermarket at Acle, this is a fair way from the river though. Otherwise there a re a few village type shops including Horning, Ludham, Ludham Bridge, Coltishall.

There are 2 shops actually in Potter Heigham quite near the boatyard. Lathams and the Bridge Stores. However both sell clothes, souvenirs etc and just a few groceries so not really suitable for a full shop up. They don’t do much fresh stuff.

I would go with Rod’s advice. If you can find a corner in the car take a few essentials like loo roll, few tins of dog food, tea coffee and some basic non perishable food. Look at the boat fridge before you set off, bear in mind they are often not as large as domestic fridges and not as efficient so it’s best not to store food for long periods. They often have a small frozen food compartment at the top but again not really suitable for any length of time or large scale storage

If you take the boat up to Wroxham or Stalham you can walk to the supermarkets (about 10 minutes in each case) but be prepared to carry everything back! There is also a very good village shop (Throwers) at Ludham and also a good butchers. Moor at Womack.

It will be busy in August so this will have an effect. Why not try taking a few non perishable basics with you, pop into the shops in Potter Heigham (just across from the boatyard) and pick up some milk bread etc and then see how you go after that. All the pubs do meals and there are cafes and restaurants as well so you won’t go hungry!

As regards picking the boat up. Handover time is technically usually 4pm. Bear in mind they will be very busy. You could try arriving say at 1 or 2 o’clock and pop into reception and ask how long the boat is likely to be. You may be lucky but be prepared to wait if not. But at least if you have a time scale you know what you have to work with.

Hope this helps!! Anything else please let us know!

cheersbar

This is a view of Potter Heigham, the Bridge Stores can just be seen to the right of picture and Lathams to the left. As mentioned both sell limited food items but may be OK for some essentials. The boatyard is on the other side of the road opposite Lathams (behind the camera)

cheersbar

post-131-136713830164_thumb.jpg

Hi Tre

I can only echo what has already been said, but also I thought I'd read a thread on here a few days ago that mentione the food department in Lathams has been increased in size, so you may not need to go to Stalham for the Tesco's on your arrival.

If you are planning to eat out most nights, you may find you will need to moor fairly early to get a space as you are in the height of the busy season. It's just as nice to moor away from the pubs sometimes, and have a quient BBQ. Just make sure when using the disposable BBQ's that they are sat on something that won't burn on the bank, not directly on the grass or wooden quayheading as they scorch badly; and certainly not on the boat! (Yes, we have seen BBQ's being placed in the lid of a gas locker :o ).

Also, if you were to moor in Fleet dyke at the entrance to Salhouse Broad, or at Ranworth Staithe, there is also a Chinese in South Walsham that will deliver to your boat!

Have a great time.

When we did our last August trip (3 adults, 5 kids , 1 dog) we ended up taking two cars and I was sure mine had a spare kitchen sink in it (it turned out to be the baby bath!).

I do hire but the last few times my boat briefing has been a quick run through on where every thing is , how to work the toilets and then off down the river turn around get back to the yard, do a a touch and go without mooring to dump the instructor and we were off...

Not a lot of time to go shopping afterwards, but I suppose that we could have parked up and done it if we wanted to.

(As newbies I expect (hope) that your demonstration cruise will be a bit more informative, (I have done two hires recently where they showed me where everthing was and then left us to get out of the yard on our own...)

I reckon getting some supplies in before the briefing (or bringing some basics with you would probably be best).

I wouldn't recommend skipping the briefing, as 1) The boat might not be there when you got back, and 2) Would they remember what the guy said about cleaning out the weed filters etc.

Sending the galley slave off to do the shopping during the briefing is also not recommended, as you would then have to explain the use of a marine loo to her...

As one of the other members pointed out there are shops available for essentials but the moorings may not be that close to them, but I always seem to bring most of my "emergency food supplies" back with me anyway.

Another thing to remember is that there are things that you may not want to bring with you but where if you buy them on arrival then you will have to get too much and have the problem of dumping the excess or taking it home anyway...

Simple things brought with you like Salt & Pepper, Tea Bags / Coffee, Cling film / Foil & a couple of loo rolls, can reduce this as you can bring enough for a week without it taking up too much space.

Now I know I take far too much with me.. but my kit does include a doggie life-jacket.

Have you thought about getting the dog out of the water if it falls in?

The yard will fit you and the kids out but I don't think they do dog ones...

Missy's jacket isnt really to help her float it is worn to provide a convienient lifting handle!

(I also take the kids' own life-jackets, but mainly because I don't take chances with the yard having the right sizes, and I prefer to have ones with crutch staps, harnesses and retrieval rings. This won't be a problem for you with yours aged 11 and 13 as they will be able to where small adult jackets and the yard will have them, but 6 month, 3, 7, 9,10 in August could mean that they were out ot the right sizes)

We also tend to hire a sailing dinght to tow behind the cruiser and that increases the risk of a dunking!)

Martin

Simple things brought with you like Salt & Pepper, Tea Bags / Coffee,

Cling film / Foil & a couple of loo rolls,

Also if you do fry-ups, bring your own frying pan as the ones on all the hire boats

we had were useless as everything stuck! Also bring a torch if you feel you may

be late getting back to the boat at night (Saves a late night dip in the river...).

As you will be arriving late-ish in the day, it may be a good idea to bring some

milk in case the shops have run out,(it will be a busy period!) and you may need

some matches to light the cooker.

cheers.

Bill.

Amazing replies everyone, I'm very impressed with the members of this forum, and incredibly grateful!

If you are the one that will be mostly charged with the running of the boat then make sure you are present at the handover instruction. It is a lot to take in in a short space of time without complicating things with Chinese whispers.

No Way. I'm taking a week off. i'll be walking or reading, and plenty of drinking. definitely NOT driving :norty:

01603 270039

Chineese takeaway delivered in 20 mins

cheersbar

In my phone already. On speed dial. ;)

Now I know I take far too much with me.. but my kit does include a doggie life-jacket.

Have you thought about getting the dog out of the water if it falls in?

The yard will fit you and the kids out but I don't think they do dog ones...

Missy's jacket isnt really to help her float it is worn to provide a convienient lifting handle!

(I also take the kids' own life-jackets, but mainly because I don't take chances with the yard having the right sizes, and I prefer to have ones with crutch staps, harnesses and retrieval rings. This won't be a problem for you with yours aged 11 and 13 as they will be able to where small adult jackets and the yard will have them, but 6 month, 3, 7, 9,10 in August could mean that they were out ot the right sizes)

We also tend to hire a sailing dinght to tow behind the cruiser and that increases the risk of a dunking!)

Martin

Life jackets, now there's an issue... We weren't thinking of them if I'm honest. Are we naive? Both kids are very strong and able swimmers, and the dog is too. If the dog slips off, I guess we'd hook him out by his collar by adding a slight twist so it doesn't come over his ears? But should we really be considering buoyancy aids? :o I've seen You Tube clips where the start of the trip has shown everyone wearing one, but then they soon get discarded as confidence grows.

We're in mid debate about a dinghy, should we have a row boat or one with a sail? Fishing is planned as a key feature of the holiday, which is best? :Stinky:Sailing

So many things, so little time!

Tre.

Amazing replies everyone, I'm very impressed with the members of this forum, and incredibly grateful!

Life jackets, now there's an issue... We weren't thinking of them if I'm honest. Are we naive? Both kids are very strong and able swimmers, and the dog is too. If the dog slips off, I guess we'd hook him out by his collar by adding a slight twist so it doesn't come over his ears? But should we really be considering buoyancy aids? :o I've seen You Tube clips where the start of the trip has shown everyone wearing one, but then they soon get discarded as confidence grows.

We're in mid debate about a dinghy, should we have a row boat or one with a sail? Fishing is planned as a key feature of the holiday, which is best? :Stinky:Sailing

So many things, so little time!

Tre.

The yard will have bouancy aids for you to take with you. they aren't "real" lifejackets but then you aren't going off-shore are you.

Adult and teenage sizes are usually easier to get than ones to really

Swimming is the easy bit, getting up out of the river onto a boat with three feet of freeboard is not!

Nor is getting the dog out easy if he goes in...

Dingies, well remember that you can fish from the cruiser (as long as it isn't moving ).

I have had a dinghy for our last two August trips and haven't really used it as much as I would have liked to.

Against that it can let you get ashore in places where the moorings are the wrong side of the river for the pub,

or let you think about using the mud-weight (Broads cruisers don't have anchors) and them lying out in a Broad for the night.

Other things that are useful...

First Aid kit for those minor cuts and abrasions..

A lighter or matches (two boxes as one always seems to end up in the sink)

Toilet rolls and paper kitchen towels

(I also take a 60ft length of rope with me, partly as I have such things lying around the house, which has come in useful for turning the boat around, recovering the dinghy after it went adrift etc)

Martin

Life jackets, now there's an issue... We weren't thinking of them if I'm honest.

Please, please, please do make sure anyone walking around the decks always wears their life jackets, whether moored or underway. This is especially important for the kids but also when mooring up. A bump against the bank if you are not used to handling a boat will easily catapult anyone outside into the drink if they are not expecting it.

It doesn't matter how strong a swimmer you are, no one can swim against a 3-4 knot tide at Yarmouth, and if you bang your head on the way in, you ain't gonna be swimming!

At least one person dies almost every year on the broads, and there has already been one fatality of a holidaymaker this year. No-one wants any more.

There is also a very good village shop (Throwers) at Ludham and also a good butchers

It is worth noting Ludham is the next village over from Potter, and is just a few miles by car.

It is also a good place to walk the dog down Horsefen road, it leads past the staithe, Hunters yard and ends up by the river.

Ian

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Can opener. Hire boat ones are invariably rubbish :o

cheersbar

Beer cans always come with ring pulls these days Howard, but then, someone like yourself would already know that :naughty::naughty::lol::lol: , as you`re well known for your insistance in "inspecting Norfolks hostelries", especially the brews they sell :naughty::naughty::naughty::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Seriously though, when Karen and i go on holiday now, we always take our "holiday pack" with us. It consist of good sharp kitchen knives, boxes of matches, a wind up torch, potato peeler, tin opener, cork screw and many other little nick nacks that you always seem to need when on holiday. This year, for the first time, there was an immaculate "non stick" frying pan :trophy .

Have a great holiday, and i hope the weather will be kinder to you than it was to us. Regards ............. Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We always forgot the basics...loo roll, washing up liquid you only need a small amount but it can be expensive to buy locally. We will be on the broads that week so if you see us ( hiring Silver Haze) give us a wave and maybe we can share an ale.

Have a Fantastic holiday cheersbar

Clive and Julie