'quasi' Sine Wave Inverter ......

12 minutes ago, TeamElla said:

I tried to edit the last post and was too late, so here it is again:-

I've just seen the above, which has a max output rating of 5 amps and can cope with batteries being on charge.

Whether it would bother sensitive electronics would depend on how good it's output filtering is (as it's bound to be a switch mode converter which are of a type that can also sometimes be responsible for interference on the radio).

• Like 1

I used these 3A DC voltage converters, 5V output from any voltage from 6V to 24V, I mounted these in my home made battery banks, the biggest problem is that some devices need the correct fast charger as the device communicates with the charger to regulate the charge, thus tieing it to its branded charger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401679400171?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Have spoken to a friend of mine who works for Microsoft Research and Development in Cambridge , he in turn asked one of their hardware guys , his reply was that you should never use a modified sine wave inverter on anything other than such things as electric motors eg. Drills , sanders etc , if using an inverter to charge any laptop or sensitive electronic device (including smartphones) then you must use a pure sine wave inverter and in his opinion for such items a slow charge through a 12v usb socket is often the safest method due to possible power surges with cheaper inverters 

thanks for asking your network CC - think that just about decides it then!!! :91_thumbsup:

Just to let you all know where I've ended up ....... which was the simplest solution in the end!

Contacted Apple directly and asked if I could safely charge my MacBook using a USB A to USB C cable on a 12v DC supply - and they said yes, should be no problem at all - less than £6 from Amazon - result !!!

Can keep the MSW inverter for the microwave and the drill :default_biggrin:

thanks for all your comments - always educational and appreciated.

PS: moored up at Reedham tonight having a great time on  the river :440_rowboat:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Karizma said:

Just to let you all know where I've ended up ....... which was the simplest solution in the end!

Contacted Apple directly and asked if I could safely charge my MacBook using a USB A to USB C cable on a 12v DC supply - and they said yes, should be no problem at all - less than £6 from Amazon - result !!!

Congratulations , and glad that the advice that I was given by my friends co worker re using 12v usb has been confirmed for you by Apple direct 

• Like 1