Making Repairs To Damaged Fibreglass

Hi everyone.

I'm after some advice please. I'm currently working on a much-altered, much-damaged Norman Conquest. One of the big challenges I'm facing with my boat is the state of the fibreglass. There's a lot wrong, ranging from smaller cracks and breaks to large areas where the fibreglass structure if the boat appears to be coming away from the wood beneath it. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is here, as there's obviously been a lot of fairly unskilled work carried out in the past, and this also make it a little difficult to assess how it ought to be and how it's meant to be fixed.

In general terms though - and for a layman if possible - how does one go about approaching something of this nature? Is it within the grasp of an amateur?

Thank you!

Fibreglass.jpg

Fibreglass2.jpg

1 hour ago, JanetAnne said:

That might be just too much of a question to answer without a few hours typing... and without seeing the extent of the problem first hand.

If you are local I could swap some advice for a cuppa!

That’s very kind of you, JanetAnne. I’m local to the broads but not to Hertfordshire I’m afraid! But you’ve answered my question in part anyway - sounds like I need more than just a few pointers to get me on my way! Thank you.

59 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

If you haven't already I would recommend having a look on YouTube at some of the videos covering GRP work, I have found them to be very helpful with my own boat.

Thanks for the suggestion- I’ll do that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Piers said:

That’s very kind of you, JanetAnne. I’m local to the broads but not to Hertfordshire I’m afraid! But you’ve answered my question in part anyway - sounds like I need more than just a few pointers to get me on my way! Thank you.

Oops! I am currently Lowestoft based but no problem either way.

18 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Oops! I am currently Lowestoft based but no problem either way.

I can be in Lowestoft at the drop of a hat and would absolutely appreciate some advice. If you’re able to, I’d love to take you up on your kind offer in the next couple of weeks...

20 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

look up you tube channel sail life, his restoring a sail boat fully and shows you how to do everything.

Hi Cheesey, I've had a look at his channel on your recommendation - looks interesting.  Thanks!