"Tango" windscreen wiper

Guest biggles999

Hi Everyone,

This is probably one for Clive but open to advice please,

I am finally in a near finish position with my Aquabell 28 I have attached photos of the windscreen wiper unit, I want to replace the arm and blade but am not sure how to detach it, as you will see from photos the actual arm is right up against the superstucture making it impossible to change without dropping the whole motor assembly, how to remove the arm please ?

post-1101-13671383123_thumb.jpg

post-1101-136713831245_thumb.jpg

It appears to be the simple splined type that just levers off, bit of a catch 22 as far as dropping the motor goes though as you need to remove the arm to get the securing nut off the motor shaft.

I have just replaced an identical motor on my boat (with a new vesion of the same). Yes, it is a splined fitting, but there is a spring running down the arm to hold the arm to the windscreen. The tension created by the spring makes it difficult to just pull or prise the arm off the spline, as the socket gets wedged on the spline. I managed it by holding the arm away from the windscreen to try to equalise the pressure round the spline and worked my way round the socket, little by little, using a broad bladed screwdriver as a lever. It helps to have three hands for this. From your photos, it does look as if there is just about room to get the arm off without dropping the motor.

Incidentally, I notice that the end of the wiper blade hits the window surround. You may be able to get a longer arm, I don't know, but did you know that the sweeping arc of the wiper is adjustable? By taking out the 4 screws that hold the back of the unit on, you can access the drive wheels and change the position of a linkage which alters the sweeping arc. I've got the instructions somewhere, if you need them. But DON'T touch the locked screw on the side of the unit. Don't ask me why not, but, on a new unit, it invalidates the guarantee if you do!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for answering but I,m pretty sure there just isnt the clearance on the top of the splined shaft to allow the wiper arm/blade release

OK, I've now got my old motor on my desk. In your photos it looks like there is a nut on the spline just behind the wiper arm and two nuts on the inside. My fitting only had one nut on the outside and one nut tight against the body on the inside, which wasn't moved during the installation. So it looks like you've got an extra nut (on the inside) which, presumably, is tight up against the big round spacer. Can that nut be wound towards the body, so giving a bit of wiggle room? And can you get into the nut on the outside and wind that out towards the wiper arm, so loosening the fixing?

What is that big fat spacer made of? Could it be that it was made in two halves and fitted round the long threaded bolt that connects the spline to the motor, AFTER the wiper arm was fitted, glued together and then the inner nut tightened up onto it?

The angle of the photo of the arm makes it difficult to see, but it looks like there is about 1/4" gap between the holding nut and the wiper arm socket. Undoing the nut just by that amount might loosen the unit sufficiently to give you the wiggle room you need. But I suggest you lever off the socket as far as you can first, 'cos it's a tight fit! Doing that will also give you a bit more room to loosen the nut further. If you can get the socket far enough off the spline, you should be able to screw the nut right off the thread and wiggle to your hearts content.