Heads Up - Spitfire

RumPunch

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

I think I'd pretty much give an arm and a leg for a flight in the BBMF Lancaster!

I know it's not going to happen of course 🙂

There is one in either Berkshire, Surrey or Oxfordshire (Sorry it was a long time ago) where you can sit in all the seats surrounded by all the controls and panels as it was and imagine. Those nose and tail gunners were squeezed in!

• Like 1

I've got a recollection of getting off the bus at Aylsham late one afternoon in Autumn 1999 and enjoying the bomber and spitfire, or possibly two spitfires, overhead which were probably rounding after flying over the former Oulton airstrip (near Blickling.) They were around for a reunion/ visit of USAAF 2nd Air Division folk flypast who were in Norwich in connection with the emerging replacement memorial library in The Forum (after the fire destroying the original). I'd met some of them earlier in the day, lovely memory and lovely folk.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

There is one in either Berkshire, Surrey or Oxfordshire (Sorry it was a long time ago) where you can sit in all the seats surrounded by all the controls and panels as it was and imagine. Those nose and tail gunners were squeezed in!

The one in Lincolnshire (I think) Just Jane did taxi runs.

I was once able to arrange a private visit inside the one at Duxford for my dad, my uncle was a tail gunner in a Lanc during WW2 in 101 squadron.

I think I may have mentioned in another thread some time ago that, like so many, he didn't make it.

• Sad 1

We are on the flight path between Biggin Hill and the White Cliffs of Dover. Last Sunday was like the Battle of Britain with the fathers of wealthy children enjoying their Father's Day commemorative flight experiences. We see and hear Spitfires and Hurricanes most days but Sunday was the busiest ever.

• Like 3