The Norfolk Broads On Swan Roamer (again): 8th - 19th June 2021

BryanW

Back on Swan Roamer this year after having last years holidays messed about by Covid and then ending up on Moon Enterprise in September so this year we had 11 days instead of our usual 7.

This will be a fairly short account of our trip and I will let the video ‘do the talking’ once it is edited.

Since all hire boats were out we had anticipated it being very busy on the rivers but this was not really the case and we had no problems mooring where we had intended, however, we do tend to cruise early and plan on mooring up about mid-day.

We experienced no major incidents and it seemed that everybody was being careful with more people wearing life jackets although we did still see many not doing so.  It was also apparent that the Broads camaraderie had returned with everybody helping others and chatting with no regard for social distancing or masks (thank goodness).  Also we met far more first timers than we have done in previous years and they all seemed to be enjoying it but the weather was very good.

Tuesday 8th June

Arrived at Richardson’s just after 12:30 having been given a 13:00 time slot and we were 2nd in the queue.  Richardson’s staff said that they will be continuing with this method of checking in after all restrictions are lifted and it does seem to work well.  Once checked in we drove round to the boat on Swan Quay and the instructor was waiting for us, very quick handover and no trial run despite what has been said on Facebook.

Swan Roamer seemed to be no different to two years ago apart from the addition of handles on the inside of the canopies which made it easier to move them.

We were loaded and away from the yard by about 14:00 and decided to try for Gaye’s Staithe for our first night.  On arrival at Gaye’s we found plenty of spaces free including the side on moorings, so I reversed into the side and safely moored up.

Wednesday 9th June

Since we wanted to go through both Wroxham and Wayford Bridges on this trip we were a bit undecided on our destination today but finally decided on Womack.

No problems mooring at Womack, an afternoon in the sun (too hot really) but a distinct lack of wildlife.

We did call Richardson’s out to oil the canopy runners since the canopies were very difficult to move plus we had no oven tin, the first oven tin the engineer brought wouldn’t fit the oven so he very kindly returned with a smaller on.  Excellent service again.

Usual comings and goings throughout the afternoon and full by late afternoon, surprised to see the mooring fee was still only £3.

Thursday 10th June

Left Womack fairly early, destination Belaugh (even though low tide may not be at a suitable time).

Phoned pilot when we were before Horning with an eta of about 12:00 and was advised that it should be ok but no guarantee since high tide was at about 13:00.

Arrived at Wroxham bridge about 11:30 with 7ft showing on the gauge (our stated air draft was 7ft), as soon as we pulled into the pilot mooring he brought another boat though and then took us through (£15 return by contactless payment although I believe that he would take cash).

Once past Hoveton there were many canoes, paddle boarders and a couple of water bikes.

On arriving at Belaugh, after a very slow cruise, we found a day boat on the moorings but that was at the downstream end so we moored as close to the safety ladder as possible on the upstream end.

Plenty of activity from canoeists and paddle boarders making good use of the quay and slipway through the afternoon and then a peaceful evening and night on our own.

Friday 11th June

On our way back to Wroxham saw an Otter swimming across the river.

Back through the bridge just before 09:00 and then proceeded downstream through Wroxham aiming for Ranworth, another Otter was sighted just after Wroxham Broad.

Arrived at Ranworth just after 11:00 with the only spaces available being down the side so it was a case of reversing in to make the mooring.  By 14:00 many spaces had became available so we moved to the front section to get a better view.  Surprisingly there were very few boats mud weighted and that situation continued throughout the rest of the day and night but the staithe was full by early evening.

Saturday 12th June

Left Ranworth at about 08:00 with the intention of going to Neatishead but part way up the Ant decided to try for Dilham instead.

Wayford Bridge gauge was showing just over 7ft so through we went with a couple of inches clearance.

We were followed up river by a lady and her dog on Bure Joy.

On arrival at Dilham there was only one boat so we moored at the downstream end, once we were sorted out and Bure Joy had moored we turned the boat on the ropes with the slight current helping (since I had forgotten to ask Richardson’s for an extra rope) in order to make life easier in the morning.

Plenty of canoe activity through the afternoon.

We had been up to Dilham a couple of time before but never stayed overnight so this was a first for us and very peaceful it was too.

Sunday 13th June

We departed from Dilham at about 07:30 and took a slow cruise down the Ant and through Wayford bridge the gauge of which was now reading 7ft so it was a very very slow approach but we cleared by about an inch.

We did see a Swallowtail butterfly fly across the river near Hunsett Mill but surprisingly no Kingfishers above Wayford bridge.

We thought a pump out would be a good idea, even though we had no red light on in the toilet, so we turned up to Stalham and got that done back at Richardson’s.

There was a yacht race in progress on Barton Broad but this didn’t impede us and we made our way up Lime Kiln Dyke and on to Neatishead where we moored bow in about half way down the staithe on the downstream side.  After a short time the boat in front of us left so we pulled the boat up so that our shore cable would reach the post and plugged in and used the electricity left by somebody else.

A visit to the shop was made with the purchase of a few jars of local honey.

Plenty of comings and goings all afternoon but everybody was taking it gently including White Champagne which only just fitted between the boats moored either side.

Then at about 18:30 a Superior Gem with a large crowd of lads on it came up the dyke and caused a bit of mayhem, some of them eventually used their dinghy to get ashore, went to the village but came back empty handed.  In trying to get back on the boat one fell in but was soon pulled out, none of them were wearing life jackets.  By 18:50 they had gone back down Lime Kiln Dyke and everybody was happy again, this was the only real incident we witnessed for the whole 11 days.

Monday 14th June

Left Neatishead at about 08:30, destination How Hill.  On arrival there were plenty of spaces, the intention was to take the nature walk but there seemed to be no sign of butterflies, dragonflies etc so decided that it wasn’t really worth it.

After about an hour we decided to go to Sutton Staithe where we arrived at about 11:45 for a pleasant afternoon.

Tuesday 15th June

Left Sutton Staithe about 07:30 and cruised down to Ludham Bridge because we needed some bread.  Once purchased (£1.70 for a standard Kingsmill, but I suppose they need to make their money in the Summer) it was back to the boat and decision made to try for Irstead.

Irstead was full with 2 cruisers and three yachts rafted together so it was onto our second choice of Gaye’s Staithe.  The side moorings were taken so it was on to our third choice of Neatishead where there was space on both sides.

This time I decided to reverse in past boats moored on both sides and to quite an audience this was achieved without touching boats on either side and we moored up just past the electric post on the upstream side.

Another visit to the shop was in order to purchase even more honey!

There were numerous movements of boats throughout the afternoon with most being pulled in on their ropes and by the evening it was full with one cruiser moored in the middle at the far end and a yacht tied to the boat behind us, all with the agreement of boats that they were blocking in.

Wednesday 16th June

Left Neatishead just after 07:00 for another visit to Richardson’s to get another pump out to be on the safe side.

Then a cruise down to How Hill again for a short stop and back to try for Irstead again spotting a Kingfisher on the way.

This time we squeezed in at Irstead behind another cruiser which left shortly afterwards so we pulled up to the upstream end of the inset moorings.

Saw a couple of Swallowtails fly past but none settled where I could get at them for photographs.

The afternoon proved eventful being interviewed by a news reporter (Radio Norfolk I believe) about our views on the wearing of life jackets, this seems to have been prompted by an incident the night before that had involved the Coastguard and a lifeboat.

An Otter was spotted on the other side of the river.

Later on we were disturbed by a BA barge with a Herbert Woods cruiser lashed alongside and needing to moor it alongside us and the boat behind, this was duly achieved, the boat had suffered engine alarms and had been picked up drifting downstream.  Once Herbert Woods had attended and fixed the problem this cruiser tried to leave with ropes still attached to our and the boat behind cleats, after much shouting we got them unattached but they then accidentally left a crew member on the bank, they did let him back on eventually.

Later on in the evening the Otter was in the middle of the river diving for his supper.

Thursday 17th June

This morning the Otter was fishing right alongside the boat, my wife did manage to get a little bit of video but he/she was up and down all the time and it was also raining on and off.

The reporter was also back with a camera taking some video of the moorings.

We left Irstead and had a slow cruise to Womack via South Walsham where we found plenty of spaces so got safely moored.  The afternoon did pick up a bit weather wise so it wasn’t too bad, as usual there were a lot of comings and goings but with everybody being very careful and gentle as we had found all week.

Friday 18th June

Heavy rain this morning and it was to continue all day with no bright spells.

We left Womack at about 08:30 and I was very glad we had a windscreen wiper and a demister for the windscreens (separate from the heater).

We stopped at Gaye’s Staithe and got the side mooring going in stern first, a couple of guys came out to help and one decided to put a bowline in the end of our stern rope even though there was already a spliced loop in it if we had wanted to use it which we didn’t.

We left Gaye’s to return to the yard arriving at about 15:30, very wet and now windy, as I was reversing into a space the boat on our port side decided to leave and in doing so pushed us 45 deg to the quay, once he had gone we got the boat straightened up and safely moored.

Saturday 19th June

Boat return handover was pretty much as normal but still surprised that Richardson’s are giving the fuel refund in cash and not putting it back on a card.

Fuel used was 40.1l at £1.20/l so we got back just over £100, not bad for 11 days and about our usual with Swan Roamer, remember we cruise gently, usually not above 1400rpm and don’t cruise all day preferring to moor up early.

The video will be available in a week or so and I will then add it to this post.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Thank you, Bryan, for your great report. I shouldn't be but I'm very jealous. We had Swan Roamer booked for three weeks for last May and obviously couldn't make that. So we booked it again for next May but, for health reasons, I've decided it wise not to go ahead with that booking. (We do have a cottage and a day boat booked for a week in compensation, though).

So we were with you in spirit, as it were, and really enjoyed the trip. Surprising to learn that there were usually moorings available and that virtually everyone were behaving themselves. Very good news!

John

Hello Bryan and thank you for your very descriptive writeup. You visited many of our favourite places, which is especially poignant as we should have been taking over Swan Rapture on Monday 28th June for 3 weeks. Sadly we had to cancel due to difficulty of access to quarantine places here in NZ. But I do have to ask a question. You mention hooking up to shore power at Neatishead. When we had Swan Rapture in 2019, no mention was made by the boatyard of the shore power facility, indeed though we found a cable in a wardrobe we were unable to figure out where it plugged in. We had believed Swan Rapture and Swan Roamer to be all but identical so is this a new facility, or did we completely miss it, or is it unique to Swan Roamer?

I can't wait to view your video.

Chris

Good question Chris,  fancy you coming all the way from New Zealand,  we get hot and bothered travelling from Beccles to Stalham.     We are on Swan Reflection in September and I am almost positive that the cable is available for the 240 volt hook up and I would have thought that it will be available on most of the boats nowadays except for the really old ones.   It is always best to make sure the cable is on board before leaving Stalham.       Our trip on Swan Reflection will be our 3rd attempt.   First was the cancellation because of the Beast From the East,   then illness struck and then Covid so really the 4th attempt.     We dont use the leccy much but if it is available it is good to top up the batteries and all of your tech bits.   In the later months it is good to put the heating on and not give it a second thought.

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear that you've had to cancel another trip, very difficult at the moment travelling from overseas with governments changing the rules every week or less.

I had a very pleasant couple of weeks in NZ some years ago working at the gas fields in Taranaki.

11 hours ago, grounded said:

When we had Swan Rapture in 2019, no mention was made by the boatyard of the shore power facility, indeed though we found a cable in a wardrobe we were unable to figure out where it plugged in. We had believed Swan Rapture and Swan Roamer to be all but identical so is this a new facility, or did we completely miss it, or is it unique to Swan Roamer?

Richardson's never mentioned shore power when we first hired Roamer but I am a curious person, having found the cable I then looked for the power socket and found it aft as shown in the attached photo.  The cable is not very long, only about 1/2 to 3/4 of the boat length, the plug (female) is very tight in the socket (male) and is well recessed and needs a very firm push.  Not sure if you use these industrial plugs in NZ but the protective flap on them has a lip that catches on the socket when inserted so to remove this has to be lifted as you pull the plug out (not easy with the socket being well recessed).

Shore power on these ex Swancraft boats only powers a battery charger and you will hear the hum of this in the aft cabin.

As an aside, I vaguely remember you (I think) saying that you killed two chargers when using the inverter, always turn the inverter on and wait until the 240V meter is steady before plugging any appliance into the 240V socket, by doing this I have never had a problem.

Electric Socket - B6092469.jpg

I should have mentioned in my writeup that two 'wild swimmers' were seen between Wroxham and Belaugh, they were clearly visible due to having large coloured floats attached to them.  But, we then saw (just) another one on Stalham Dyke near the Ant junction who had no float, that was very dangerous since at first we thought it was an Otter, he seemed to have come from a nearby hire cruiser wild moored.

Hi Bryan, very many thanks for the reply and for the information. We are due back on Swan Rapture about this time next year for our 50th wedding anniversary. We have always loved the Broads and it is one of the places we miss most since emigrating, so when we can/do get back to the UK for a visit with family we try to make the most of a trip on the Broads. 

From memory, I think it was my wife's electric toothbrush which blew. We will certainly take more care next time!

Thanks again.

Chris

1 hour ago, grounded said:

. . . . . . . . . . . From memory, I think it was my wife's electric toothbrush which blew. We will certainly take more care next time!

There has been some discussions on the Forum recently regarding inverters and their suitability.  It is likely that the inverter on Swan Rapture is of a modified sine wave type, which is fine for hair dryers etc, but could prove fatal for more modern electronic devices, which need a supply from a pure sine wave inverter.

I only found this out when we were onboard Moonlight Shadow a couple of years ago and destroyed the charger for my wife’s Fitbit, two phone chargers and a tv.

38 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

There has been some discussions on the Forum recently regarding inverters and their suitability.  It is likely that the inverter on Swan Rapture is of a modified sine wave type, which is fine for hair dryers etc, but could prove fatal for more modern electronic devices, which need a supply from a pure sine wave inverter.

For what it's worth, I was on Rapture the last year it was with Swancraft. I used my laptop often onboard. It didn't damage it in any way.

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

For what it's worth, I was on Rapture the last year it was with Swancraft. I used my laptop often onboard. It didn't damage it in any way.

We have used the inverters on Gala Girl, Gardenia Girl, Royal Satin, Barnes' Encore, Moon Enterprise, Swan Radiance and Swan Roamer for charging iPhones, camera batteries, video cameras and toothbrushes and never had a problem, but, I never plug anything into the sockets until the 240V voltmeter is steady (or if no voltmeter then at least one minute after turning the inverter on).  I also make sure nothing is plugged in when I start the engine.  If you watch the voltmeter after turning the inverter on you will see it spike which I suspect is what kills the chargers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BryanW said:

We have used the inverters on Gala Girl, Gardenia Girl, Royal Satin, Barnes' Encore, Moon Enterprise, Swan Radiance and Swan Roamer for charging iPhones, camera batteries, video cameras and toothbrushes and never had a problem, but, I never plug anything into the sockets until the 240V voltmeter is steady (or if no voltmeter then at least one minute after turning the inverter on).  I also make sure nothing is plugged in when I start the engine.  If you watch the voltmeter after turning the inverter on you will see it spike which I suspect is what kills the chargers.

We didn’t either, but it is a fact that more sophisticated, complex electronics are susceptible to damage from the 240v supply from a modified sine wave inverter.  The problem we had on Moonlight Shadow also affected other syndicate members and it was changed for a pure sine wave inverter later that year.

• Like 1

This may be a naive question, but is this kind of intelligence not available to boat hire companies? Should those fitting/maintaining inverters not be aware of the ideosyncracies of the technology and include simple guidance in boat manuals that would assist in avoiding expensive damage to customers bits of kit?

Chris

We have a 2Kw modified sine wave inverter running off 4 230 amp AGM batteries and can report that we have never had a problem with the TV, laptop, or phone chargers. Perhaps we are just lucky. I agree that pure sine wave is better, but a lot more expensive.

Hi Bryan, very many thanks for your video which I thoroughly enjoyed. Especially so since we should have been on the the Broads now, but for the difficulties of returning to Fortress Aotearoa, and so must get our "fix" vicariously.

Perhaps we may bump into each other (not literally) when we return for 3 weeks in 2022.

Chris