Hampton Boat Make A Come Back.

Andrewcook

I honestly feel that if they were to still make the classic Hampton Safari there would be a market for it , if a grp boat can be a classic (which I think they can IMHO) the the Safari would certainly be regarded as one.

A perfect design for the inland waterways and at 25ft gives more space than many 30ft competitors can hope to equal 

• Like 4

I assume the mould tools are long gone, seems to be a hole in the water that has never been plugged by another, classic 27 probably the next best thing for which I suspect the mould is still around albeit the grp tops are aft cockpit as far as I’ve seen, stand to be corrected though.

There's definitely a market for good quality 2 berth boats. The mould tool would need a total rework. The whole stern of the boat would need updating. A lower transom, open up the stern,bigger rear doors. A good front well and finding room to get the engine out of the cabin and mounted in the rear.The two new designs out there from woods and len funnel are actually quite good in my opinion. They seem very popular, barnes encore seems very popular as well  which is just an updated aquafibre mould but a very good update. So yes if you've got a bucket of spare cash it might work lol...

I like this post, my hampton mark three with a hole in it's transom, low Air draft, front well sliding roof, room for a woodburner and any of the other fancy modern stuff is perfect IMHO. Not got it under potter hiegham bridge yet though. My last time was 1974! I live in hope.

Dave

• Like 2

The Hampton is a Broads classic, I don't care what people say about GRP or "tupperware" but it is of it's time. Would that same design be a hit now? No it wouldn't and that is why nobody is building them. Today's hirer is looking for something more, more space, more facilities, a little more luxury and that is effectively what the boats AndyG references are offering. Boats like Barnes' Brinks Encore are the modern day equivalents of the Hampton, but they are sleeker, better fitted and most importantly bigger - both longer and wider. 

• Like 1

Hampton Safari yes a proper classic, here is a picture of my mark 4 has everything I need comfort wise hasn't been messed about with Still on its original engine (Thorneycroft 1500)  painted hull but original gel coat topsides and for a 40-year-old boat not bad

IMG_20190920_122751.jpg

• Like 9

15 hours ago, eddybear said:

Hampton Safari yes a proper classic, here is a picture of my mark 4 has everything I need comfort wise hasn't been messed about with Still on its original engine (Thorneycroft 1500)  painted hull but original gel coat topsides and for a 40-year-old boat not bad

IMG_20190920_122751.jpg

Why were so few Mark 4s built? I think there were only two, or three, is that right?

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Why were so few Mark 4s built? I think there were only two, or three, is that right?

In answer to your question nearly all Hamptons were sold on as hull and superstructure to be fitted out by other boatyards, the mark 4 was only built for Hamptons own hire fleet and like all of their hire boats were fitted out to an extremely high standard and yes they only built 3 Of which all survive though one is in a much altered state.

• 2 months later...
On 27/06/2021 at 23:59, dredger said:

I like this post, my hampton mark three with a hole in it's transom, low Air draft, front well sliding roof, room for a woodburner and any of the other fancy modern stuff is perfect IMHO. Not got it under potter hiegham bridge yet though. My last time was 1974! I live in hope.

Dave

hello dave, where would you put a wood burner? im trying to find the right spot for one in my hamptoms safari 3 at the moment!

I love the Hampton Safari’s , to me though , the addition of a wood burner would ruin the internal area , a good diesel hot air system for daytime whilst cruising works very well , and an oil filled radiator when moored on shore power . If no shore power then hot water bottle and an extra blanket overnight works fine for us , oh and a couple of rums before bed !!

• Like 1

Herbert woods ruby light, adventuring light, Princess of light classes are a very good attempt at a modern small compact cruiser in my opinion. I was in the yard last Wednesday and their latest one isn't far off from being launched. They seem to be very popular with approx 8 in the fleet now and more to come I'm told. The Hamptons biggest draw back for me is the engine positioning. In such a small boat it needs to be in the stern, but that's just my personal preference. I've been onboard ruby light and adventuring light  I would not hesitate to hire one. Len funnels attempt and I can't remember it's name now, is an odd looking thing, but again a very nice compact boat. So there clearly is a market for this type of hire boat. I guess woods off set a lot of the costs of desin by building quite a few picnic boats from basically the same mould. Killing two birds with one stone and replacing there very tired looking picnic boats. With 20 odd moulded now I'm sure the moulds well on the way to paying for its self. 

16 hours ago, andyg said:

The Hamptons biggest draw back for me is the engine positioning. In such a small boat it needs to be in the stern

Quite a few Hamptons were fitted out with the engine in the Stern with hydraulic drive, our first Hampton which was a MK 2 Had the engine in the cabin so I know what you mean, but my present Hampton has it in the Stern a lot quieter and less diesel smell.

Great boats the Hampton, Tony and pat was very good friends with my uncle they had a fleet of them at sutton all called honeymooners my dad had one off him many happy years of two week holidays one week holidays countless weekends all year round usability we had 4 people and a dog never seemed to small it had 1.5 bmc which in 11 years only had 1 fuel pump and dad serviced it annually it’s still on the broads now called ‘Kate’ I believe the last time I see it it still had the curtains my mum made on it 🤣🤣

I’ve moved from a Hampton Safari Mk2 to an Aquafibre Opal. They are very similar, the AF a bit roomier due to the increased length 28ft v 25ft, and the beam 11ft 6in v 9ft 6in. Having said that the storage space on the Hampton is better!

So maybe the Hampton Safari has been succeeded…😎

E946D42E-4286-493E-B94B-E92791EFF04C.jpeg

• Like 2

Andyg,

Believe the Hampton sedan came first however only by a matter of months, the first of 2/3 built for hire was launched in I believe 1980 whereas the Bounty 27 traveller may not have appeared until 1981 although may well have been built in 1980. However the larger Bounty 34 traveller did appear in 1978 I believe possibly on the Thames first.

Neil

• Like 1

• 6 months later...