A Summer Of Sport.

Ok, England are playing a  GAME  of football this evening. Breakfast on BBC have spoken of almost nothing else for the last hour and a half.

I am told that this game is important for "our mental health". I had never realised that peeing me off was good for me.  

Even Covid items seem to take second place to this game, with tennis a poor third.

Boy am I missing Brexit and BLM riots !  

• Haha 5

The media always try their best to raise everyone’s expectations , usually to an unrealistic level.

Katie and I enjoy watching a good competitive match of the game of football and obviously hope England emerges as victors , but I must agree , the constant coverage on television to the detriment of what is important and needs reporting is annoying and unnecessary.

The fact that Gary Lineker is the BBC’s highest paid personality  only reinforces and encourages this behaviour.

We will be watching the game live tonight however until kick off it will be other channels we will watch to avoid the aforementioned and unrelenting build up and discussion 

it didnt seem to be an exciting match, now remember I judge football matches by the amount of noise generated by my neighbours, and overall they were very quiet all the way through, with no big cheer at the end i assumed they hadnt won.(or even scored)

I was mud weighted on Bargate during the match against Ukraine and could hear the cheers quite clearly, I presume from the Yare pub.  Got home yesterday and don't recall hearing any cheers, nearest pub is about the same distance but more built up.

One of the rare times that I sat and watched the match on television and the whole experience left me feeling...bewildered. For some reason, I don't think the commentators were watching the same match that I was!

While studio staff waxed lyrical about England's prowess, I was sat thinking our right side was weak from the midfield up. Saka was out of his depth, Mount was effectively missing in action, our team (that scores most goals from the head) was being out-jumped by the Danes and if not for Walker and Stones we would have been hammered into oblivion. Grealish arrived and departed with little impact. English tactics seemed to consist of a lot of falling over and with the forwards on the floor there was no one to pick up the loose ball at the edge of the area. This morning I've read and heard reports on the quality of 'record breaking' Pickford in goal, where as I thought he was nervous, verging on shambolic.
'Who's our goalie?' Ellie asked as both Matty and I groaned every time he got near the ball.
'Stan Laurel!' the reply.

Meanwhile, Ellie was convinced England would win. I have to admit I had predicted an Italy/England final after the first games of the tournament. But extra time saw Ellie join me loitering outside while I had a smoke, the tension was too much. Outside we could hear the roars from the crowd at Gainsborough Trinity in the valley below us as they watched the match on a big screen. An 'ooh' followed by cries of 'shame' had me scuttling inside to watch a replay on TV of the infringement that saw England awarded a penalty. The Trinity crowd was right, the 'shame' of such a soft penalty. 

'Can he kick it twice on a penalty? But we won!' said Ellie, the Chelsea supporter...sorry Ian but she is, as the final whistle blew.
Matty looked at me. We were both pleased to see England in a final but we both knew that as 'wins' go, that one was inglorious. Best to keep quiet and move right along, nothing to see here!

As for the final...I'm torn. Yes, I would like England to win but Italy have played some beautiful football!

• Like 1

I know nothing about football but couldn’t understand why they kept kicking the ball back towards their own goalkeeper/end.  Isn't the aim to keep it at the other end so more chances to score and less chance for the opposition?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

One of the rare times that I sat and watched the match on television and the whole experience left me feeling...bewildered. For some reason, I don't think the commentators were watching the same match that I was!

While studio staff waxed lyrical about England's prowess, I was sat thinking our right side was weak from the midfield up. Saka was out of his depth, Mount was effectively missing in action, our team (that scores most goals from the head) was being out-jumped by the Danes and if not for Walker and Stones we would have been hammered into oblivion. Grealish arrived and departed with little impact. English tactics seemed to consist of a lot of falling over and with the forwards on the floor there was no one to pick up the loose ball at the edge of the area. This morning I've read and heard reports on the quality of 'record breaking' Pickford in goal, where as I thought he was nervous, verging on shambolic.
'Who's our goalie?' Ellie asked as both Matty and I groaned every time he got near the ball.
'Stan Laurel!' the reply.

Meanwhile, Ellie was convinced England would win. I have to admit I had predicted an Italy/England final after the first games of the tournament. But extra time saw Ellie join me loitering outside while I had a smoke, the tension was too much. Outside we could hear the roars from the crowd at Gainsborough Trinity in the valley below us as they watched the match on a big screen. An 'ooh' followed by cries of 'shame' had me scuttling inside to watch a replay on TV of the infringement that saw England awarded a penalty. The Trinity crowd was right, the 'shame' of such a soft penalty. 

'Can he kick it twice on a penalty? But we won!' said Ellie, the Chelsea supporter...sorry Ian but she is, as the final whistle blew.
Matty looked at me. We were both pleased to see England in a final but we both knew that as 'wins' go, that one was inglorious. Best to keep quiet and move right along, nothing to see here!

As for the final...I'm torn. Yes, I would like England to win but Italy have played some beautiful football!

Football clearly isnt your game.  :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

I was mud weighted on Bargate during the match against Ukraine and could hear the cheers quite clearly, I presume from the Yare pub.  Got home yesterday and don't recall hearing any cheers, nearest pub is about the same distance but more built up.

The last time I was in The Yare they didnt have Sky sport or BT sport on the TV`s, could the noise have been from elsewhere?

39 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It’s called ‘Build Up’ and drawing the opposition away from their own half to enable our midfield to go through and break to the forwards to do their thing

Griff

Something we are not very good at doing imho. Expect Italy to play their normal five man defence game plan and attack on the break much like they played against Spain.

5 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The last time I was in The Yare they didnt have Sky sport or BT sport on the TV`s, could the noise have been from elsewhere?

Possibly, maybe Coldham Hall was showing it but I never visited either during my few days afloat.

Sorry although married to a football mad husband I watched Downtown Abbey and The Yorkshire Vet and a documentary about the duchess of Windsor. From what I can gather I did the right thing by not giving it any attention till extra time!

Carole

It looks like my weekend is fully booked. I'm currently up to the eyeballs designing potion bottles and making magic wands. A Skelegrow bottle to be made tomorrow. On Saturday I will once again don my muggle disguise to attend Gracie's Harry Potter Party. I don't know whether to be pleased that at her last Harry Potter Party simply adding a bow tie to my usual mufti and my granddaughter instantly proclaimed I had come as Professor Slughorne...or annoyed and seek some fashion guidance for the over the fifty something that still has to wear 'robes' to work on occasion?

Sunday? I will be watching the quidditch, I mean footballing. A case of Peroni and some of Honeydukes best Crystalized Pineapple by my side!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi all what a match that was last night . This has taken 55 Years to get to the Finals  now against Italy  on Sunday that Game won't go amiss even Boating on the Broads. :1242_flag_gb::1242_flag_gb::1242_flag_gb:

Andrew, I think you mean 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

10 hours ago, Timbo said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . As for the final...I'm torn. Yes, I would like England to win but Italy have played some beautiful football!

Italy may have played some reasonably good football, but I think they are certainly in pole position for the number of times they have fallen over.  That particular incident last week when one of their forwards was laying in the penalty area, apparently writhing in agony having had one of the opposition breath heavily on him, yet suddenly leap up to cuddle his team mate who scored was worthy of a yellow card for simulation as well as an Oscar for his performance!!

I suspect we’ll see a lot of that on Sunday!

• Like 2