On The River In Horning 31st Jul To 6th Aug 2021

TheQ

Ok Folks it's that time again, Especially for those who haven't done so when extremely busy..

Gentle Hints about navigation through Horning during the above dates, Motor boats IT WILL AFFECT YOU.....

It's Horning Regatta week  which has been running for at least 113 years..

Up to 150 Different sailing boats from 8ft little Optimists with 8 year old children just beginning, to 100 year veterans sailing even older bigger boats up to 45ft..

The club is intending to run a full programme this year, So here we go..

PLEASE KEEP RIGHT,  preferably within 6ft of the bank, any more than that and some someone will sail between you ad the bank. There are no underwater obstructions that will affect a motor boat even if you motor along 2 ft from the bank, all those sailing boats have 3 ft deep keels and sail within 6 inches of the banks..

Our competitors are told if you keep close to the bank then then they should turn away from you, they may turn only 6 inches from your side, but remember a sailing boat is a lot more fragile than a motorboat and they don't want to wreak their boat. DON'T PANIC, please do not weave around..

If a boat turns in front of you, you may have to slow down, they shouldn't do it too close to you, but remember:

There are beginners who may get it wrong (in any sized boat) ,

There are non competitor sailors out there, who don't know what we have asked our members to do and will, insist on their "rights".

Other vessels may force them in front of you..

Please try to keep your speed down, especially if it's very light winds as it causes the sailing boats to rock and roll making them more difficult to control.

If you are following boats going your way, keep right and when a gap appears go forward please do not go out in the middle of the river to overtake there me many more sailing boats just about to appear in front of you.

If the Sailing boats are coming towards you , slow down, keep right, let them sail around you they are a lot more manouverable than you are.

Thank you for reading the above, the next post, times of races and best times to watch or avoid

A video... the 1908 regatta..

http://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=1392

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

OK Then the times of  our racing, note the first start of the race race is the time given, but fleets start at 5 minute intervals and there could be up to 8 starts, each race takes about an hour.

Saturday 31st of July, the racing is on Black Horse Broad (Hoveton Little Broad), so the only interruption to river traffic is the fleet sailing up to the broad and back. This is normally in smaller numbers than during the week And would be expected at between 12:30 and 14:00.

Two race series Saturday afternoon.

Viewing can only be done by boat on the Broad, you are welcome to do so, please mudweight around the edges of the broad,  the western (Wroxham ) end is normally the favoured end for mudweighting..

Sunday Racing from about 10:00 12:30 to 14:00 to  16:00 again on the broad,

so on the river fleets going up to the broad 09:00 to 10:00:

back 12:00 to 13:00 for lunch,

then back to the broad 13:00 to 14:00. 

Then the final return 16:00 to 17:00.

Two race series in the Morning two in the afternoon, the big sailing cruisers may have an additional race lunchtime and after the others main race.

Monday 2nd August to 5th August,

First race start 09:25 but the boats will be out 10 minutes before their start.

Last race start about 17:00  in between there will be sailing boats on the water almost continuously.

The main peaks are 10:30 to 12:30  and 14:00 to 15:00, the easiest time to go through is before 09:30, between 12:30 and 13:45 and after 16:00 

Viewing, the only place to watch is from the Swan Green, that's between the Swan Pub and the Sailing club.

Any questions? I'll be happy to answer them,  if I can.

A video of A bit of Horning Regatta 2010,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/07/2021 at 17:59, NotDeadYet said:

We ran through Horning during the regatta a couple or three years ago and were properly impressed with the organisation and the standard of sailing on the river.    

Thanks, not up to me of course, I'll just be occupying one of the rescue boats again, as my sailing boat hasn't quite made it for the regatta, I've got the rudder on, but nothing to connect it to!!

There are between 3 and 6 rescue boats out on the river for the regatta normally. The most being between 09:30 and 10:30 when the 8 year old beginners are let loose for their first regatta, we keep those in sight of the club as well. They all get training before of course, but the skill level isn't necessarily there yet..

Back at the club in the starters box  there will be:

The race officer, the assistant race officer and the time keeper, they have radios to keep in contact with the rescue boats.

In the club house will be the two or three people who look after the race result charts,  and take the entry fees (£1 a race)

Then the galley slaves who will in various teams of 2 or 3 run the galley all day, from Bacon rolls and coffee from 08:00, through salad lunches, with snacks, tea, coffee, ice creams  till the end of the last race, at around 17:00. Then the evening functions everyday with a Bar and some days food as well. The functions? quiz night, darts, a disco for the kids and various other things that change most years..

And the Staff?... All volunteer club members.

• Thanks 1

In just two weeks tomorrow I'll be playing Newfoundland to the sailing boats and Border Collie to the motor boats..

That is, fishing '\em out and rounding 'em up..

Two weeks to go to the regatta...

The refresher course went OK about a dozen of us on it this time.

We've had our social events programme issued, No disco this year, not that I attended that anyway, all events arranged to be socially distanced . Still keeping one way systems through the club house and masks on inside.

Monday to Friday is the traditional programme, first race 09:25, last race about 17:00 start. 23 programmed one hour races per day,  but some starts such as the juniors may be split into 3 starts, as so many turn up.

and the final Bump as tomorrow it All starts.. Unfortunately it looks a fairly damp one tomorrow, though storm Evert should have cleared through by then..

packing tonight...

waterproofs... XXX awful weather

Waterproofs... slightly damp weather..

Sun tan cream bottle... bought when I was in Saudi... I left in 2001

Anti mozzi "Avon Skin so soft".. used lots of that..

ETC

If you wish to watch something better than the Olympics, please come along, As we're on Black Horse Broad Saturday and Sunday please moor round the edges of the broad unless you like being buzzed by very close sailing boats..