About time I came on and said Hello..

Guest CalamityJ4ne

Hi everyone :wave I thought it was about time I came on and said hello.

I have spent many hours on this forum the last few weeks since we made our 2nd booking for the Broads,

and many more hours last year gathering all the information I could in preparation for our first visit to the Broads.

Last year after spending hours agonising over which boat to book on Hoseasons from the Bolero to Spitfires and the like we

settled on hiring an Emperor from Leboat, mainly because there were no Bridge Limitations and with 3 cabins and showers etc we all

had our own bit of space. In hindsight the newer boats with bow thrusters etc may have been easier to handle for first timers

but we wouldn't have got through Wroxham Bridge and up to Coltishall which for me was one of my favourite bits.

Mooring up and turning a 45' boat once we were there was easy, the river was much quieter and it was just so quiet and peaceful.

There was five of us myself, my husband, my sister and my parents. I had watched hours of videos on steering mooring up etc and had even

printed off a weeks cruising itinerary which included Great Yarmouth and the Southern Broads.

It was all made to look so easy but I have to say "It is a lot harder than it looks". Needless to say I left the steering to my husband and sister

after my first attempt had the boat leaving a snake trail down the river. I settled for mooring up instead and we didn't lose the boat

so I must have mastered that bit ok. I did have a go again at steering her from Coltisahll to Wroxham (our last day) and did ok once I got the hang of reading

the river rather than trying to guess when the bit of plaster taped on the steering wheel was central or not.

As for the trip to Great Yarmouth, no we didn't do it, when we had our trial run at handover I mentioned I had printed off an itinerary and

Steve said we could go where we wanted but he did not recommend attempting Great Yarmouth or Breydon Water on our first time due to the tides etc.

Our first week was over all too quickly before we were sadly handing back our boat thankfully unscathed & all beautifully cleaned ( we had even managed to borrow

"henry" when it had been left unattended at the moorings and hoover the boat out) so apart from new bedlinen and a pump out she was ready for her next load of hirers.

We all had a lovely and mostly relaxing time which is why my husband and I are returning next month and spending a week onboard a much smaller boat to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. Which Is why I am back on here gathering information in preparation. I have a few questions but will ask those on a relevant thread.

Welcome to the forum :wave Sounds like you had a great first holiday. Next time I would say, give Yarmouth a bash, as with a little forward planning it is a breeze to get through and as long as you stick between the posts on Breydon you'll be exploring the south in no time!

Welcome to the forum.

Getting ready for your second trip,that makes you experienced...

It does really as the newbies are the ones that usually are really worried and ask questions

and having done it before you know exactly how they feel!

Last year after spending hours agonising over which boat to book on Hoseasons from the Bolero to Spitfires and the like

And the like, very alike, as Spitfire and Bolero are sister-ships, out of the Alphacraft shed. (From the days before Ricko's ventured back into building their own shells.

Great boats for "down south" but too limiting if you want to explore the wilder bits of the North as too high for many bridges.

(Coltishall would be out, and definitely forget getting through Wayford and up to up to Dilham!

If you liked the Coltishall stretch then seriously thing about exploring the furthest reaches of the Ant!

We are just getting ready for a week out in August, and the tide times this year are not really good for us,

particularly for bridges where the yard insist on us using the pilots,

but I am planning on visiting both Coltishall and Dilham (I don't mind an early start as long as it is daylight!)

Martin

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :grin:

Welcome to the forum :wave Sounds like you had a great first holiday. Next time I would say, give Yarmouth a bash, as with a little forward planning it is a breeze to get through and as long as you stick between the posts on Breydon you'll be exploring the south in no time!

Jimbo Thanks for the youtube link. One I watched amongst many others last year which do make it look a breeze until we boarded the boat. Then it all went out the window. I still don't think I would be confident us attempting G Yarmouth let alone going across Breydon with just me and my husband onboard, I have also read many posts and seen many videos of boats stuck in the mud and hanging from mooring ropes etc to come to the conclusion if we want to go to Yarmouth then we can go by car being at leboat's yard again we will have access to our car at anytime. Although I'm sure my husband will come up with every excuse not to go, as there may be shops involved. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Getting ready for your second trip,that makes you experienced...

It does really as the newbies are the ones that usually are really worried and ask questions

and having done it before you know exactly how they feel!

If you liked the Coltishall stretch then seriously thing about exploring the furthest reaches of the Ant!

We are just getting ready for a week out in August, and the tide times this year are not really good for us,

particularly for bridges where the yard insist on us using the pilots,

but I am planning on visiting both Coltishall and Dilham (I don't mind an early start as long as it is daylight!)

Martin

Hi Martin, I think it will take a few years of boating trips before I would dare to claim being experienced. I think everyone we met last year had been doing it for 30 years or more so we have a lot of catching up to do! But I can see why people get hooked. We absolutely loved it.

We settled on hiring a Capri TS this time, at the expense of not going through Wroxham, and as Wayford is out there will be no Dilham either. Which I was was just reading about today .

I'm hoping with 15' less behind us I will find it easier to steer than the Emperor.

But I think it was an earlier post of yours I read regarding high tides in August which is when we go too,that has me worried now that we won't get under Ludham

Bridge either. I will be gutted if we can't get up the river Ant to Sutton Staithe and Stalham.

We are also prepared for the rivers to be like the M25 at rush hour so are expecting to probably have to moor up in boatyards rather than

at riverside moorings.

Hi Martin, I think it was an earlier post of yours I read regarding high tides in August which is when we go too,

that has me worried now that we won't get under Ludham Bridge either.

I will be gutted if we can't get up the river Ant to Sutton Staithe and Stalham.

We are also prepared for the rivers to be like the M25 at rush hour so are expecting to probably have to moor up in boatyards rather than

at riverside moorings.

The Hoseason site gives a bit more info on the Capri than Le Boat's web-site does:

Will not pass under Potter Heigham, Beccles, Wroxham, Wayford and Thorpe Railway bridges.

The boat requires 8’6" clearance on all other bridges at low water only.

Ok so that rules you out from Dilham (Wayford Bridge)and Coltishall (Wroxham Bridge).

The BA give the clearance at Ludham as 8' 6" at "average high water" so as long as you aim for low water (during Springs)

or avoid high water at other states you shouldn't have any trouble.

I took Spitfire through Ludham without any trouble last year and I think that she needed 8'9".

(And Richo's have Bolero up at Stalham and she usually seems to make it as well!)

My comment on the August tides were aimed more at the timing of low-water in August and the fact

that in early / mid August low-water at Potter will be outside the operating hours for the Potter Heigham pilot.

There are Spring tides on 1st and 16th August which will mean that the High tide is higher but also that the low-tide is lower.

As you don't have to use a pilot for Ludham then you can plan your own passage timing for low-water, even if it is 06:00 or 18:00,

as all you really need is daylight!

My usual source for tide times is http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp

If you aren't going down through Yarmouth the Ludham is the only bridge (of those you can get through)

where you will have to plan the passage time.

Yes it is a bit busier in August but I did six nights in the north last August and managed to park near a pub every night,

and of the locations I went to, only Colitishall would have been out of bounds for a Capri.

You might not believe it but is still a lot quieter than it was about 18 years ago when I did my first trip!

In those days I nick-named the stretch of the Bure between the Thurne and the Ant "The M25"

as there were three boats abreast going in each direction....

The BA give the clearance at Ludham as 8' 6" at "average high water" so as long as you aim for low water (during Springs)

or avoid high water at other states you shouldn't have any trouble.

Hmm I wish there was a bridge pilot I'd happily pay someone to take her through. If in doubt when we get there we will have to

wait for another big one to go through and follow them.

I took Spitfire through Ludham without any trouble last year and I think that she needed 8'9".

(And Richo's have Bolero up at Stalham and she usually seems to make it as well!)

I have learnt on here too that Richardsons bought several Capri's which are now Siesta's and I don't suppose it would have been viable to them if the only

place they could go was the river ant .

So it is just about planning it to fit in with the tides, which aren't very favourable for the latter part of the week.

But before I can do that we need to decide where we are going to book a table for the 9th (Our anniversary) :? Initially I had thought about the Kings Head

at Coltishall which would mean mooring up in Wroxham and getting a taxi but after showing my husband the menu he wasn't too keen.

So now I am reading reviews on other recommended restaurants. I did read the Thai in Wroxham was highly praised. We have never been to a Thai so

it would be something different or maybe we should go book at the Sutton Staithe where we had a lovely lunch last year and also an evening meal

which was ok although service in the evning was a bit slow.

I also read the Ferry Inn at Stokesby was very good & as we didn't go past Acle Bridge last year it will also be a new stretch of river to explore.

Decision's, Decision's. Why do men always leave the planning to the women? :roll:

Why do men always leave the planning to the women? :roll:

Because they always make the right decisions (Or is it just that they can't complain if it then turns out to be wrong)

----------------

If looking for somewhere different then "The Hermitage" at Acle also gets some good reviews, if you are into seafood that is.

I believe that they have their own moorings at the end of the Acle Boat Dyke, i.e. on the western bank just south of Acle Bridge, and it is about a five minute walk from theire to the restaurant.

Seen the signs but have never ventured up to it myself, the kids like the outdoor play area at "The Bridge" too much.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Because we get sick and tired of being told "it`s your fault, you decided to do it, or go there". As Martin says, if we leave the decisions up to you lot, we can`t get the blame :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Seriously though, welcome to the forum from me too CJ. If you still want to go to Coltishall for your anneversary, i`d recommend the Rising Sun, which is a little further up the road towards the village. We`ve been there many times and have never been disappointed. It may not be Haut quisine, but we found it much better than most other pub food.

One bit of advice i WILL give you, and that is, DON`T MAKE TOO MANY PLANS. By far the best way to enjoy a broads holiday is to just take it as it comes and at a slow pace. If you look down a navigable channel and think "i wonder where that goes to?" just go there and find out, as very often, it will be a nice suroprise.

That`s the main reason why i NEVER plan holidays ;);) . That way, you DON`T know what`s going to be at the end of your Journey. And on the Broads, it`ll ALWAYS be a nice surprise ;););) . Also, when you get home, please write a holiday tale and let us know how you got on. Have a great holiday, and i hope the weather stays good for you. And for you too Martin ;);) . Regards to all .......................... Neil.

Because we get sick and tired of being told "it`s your fault, you decided to do it, or go there". As Martin says, if we leave the decisions up to you lot, we can`t get the blame :lol::lol::lol::lol: . .

LOl I knew as soon as I posted that bit I should have added "Actually Don't bother to answer that we already know what the answer will be".

[seriously though, welcome to the forum from me too CJ. If you still want to go to Coltishall for your anneversary, i`d recommend the Rising Sun, which is a little further up the road towards the village. We`ve been there many times and have never been disappointed. It may not be Haut quisine, but we found it much better than most other pub food.

One bit of advice i WILL give you, and that is, DON`T MAKE TOO MANY PLANS. By far the best way to enjoy a broads holiday is to just take it as it comes and at a slow pace. If you look down a navigable channel and think "i wonder where that goes to?" just go there and find out, as very often, it will be a nice suroprise.

That`s the main reason why i NEVER plan holidays ;);) . That way, you DON`T know what`s going to be at the end of your Journey. And on the Broads, it`ll ALWAYS be a nice surprise ;););) . Also, when you get home, please write a holiday tale and let us know how you got on. Have a great holiday, and i hope the weather stays good for you. And for you too Martin ;);) . Regards to all .......................... Neil.

Thanks for the warm welcome Neil.

We have ruled out Coltishall now for this year as it would mean a taxi from Wroxham, when you say The Rising Sun just up the road do you mean The Red Lion. We

had a drink in The Rising Sun last year when we went up to Coltishall but it was right next to the river. We didn't venture up the road but I have heard about The Red Lion & The Recruiting Seargent. So maybe next year.

The only planning I'm doing is hopefully making sure we get through Ludham Bridge. Thanks to Palmtree the restaurant is sorted "The Mermaids Slipper" it is, (we can remember walking past there last year & thinking how nice it looked) although there's no website to view a menu it gets a lot of 5***** reviews on tripadvisor. Apparently their speciality dessert is sticky toffee pudding (so thats the hubby sorted) some say it's expensive but after 25 years well 30 really but 25 married I think I'm worth it :lol::lol::lol:;) And on top of that with careful planning I may even get to have a nice hot shower in Richardsons shower block instead of doing a Contortionist act on board. :party2: And the icing on the cake will hopefully be to see "Broadsman" I'm sure I read the next one will be getting an unveiling in August.

After that we will go wherever the river takes us.

Hi,

If you are looking for somewhere a bit upmarket for a special meal try The Mermaids Slipper at Stalham.

Ian :Sailing

Thanks Ian I think you have found our restaurant :lineup:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi CJ, yes it IS the Red Lion, can`t believe i said the Rising Sun :oops::oops::oops: . Karen and i went in the Rising Sun about 4 years ago and were the only two people in there after 9-30, so about 10-00 ish we were asked to leave while in the middle of a game of Pool, as they wanted to lock up :o , and we still had half full (or should that be half empty?) glasses. We`ve avoided the place like the plague ever since. Still, their loss is the Red Lions gain ;);) . Regards, and have a great holiday ...................... Neil.

Hi CJ, yes it IS the Red Lion, can`t believe i said the Rising Sun :oops::oops::oops: . Karen and i went in the Rising Sun about 4 years ago and were the only two people in there after 9-30, so about 10-00 ish we were asked to leave while in the middle of a game of Pool, as they wanted to lock up :o , and we still had half full (or should that be half empty?) glasses. We`ve avoided the place like the plague ever since. Still, their loss is the Red Lions gain ;);) . Regards, and have a great holiday ...................... Neil.

I think if the Rising Sun doesn't change it's tactics it could may well be another pub that will no longer be financially viable to remain open in todays climate,

which would be such a shame. They have the cream of the crop as far as location goes the river & the moorings I think were some of the most picturesque we came across, ok it's not the busiest stretch of river due to bridge restrictions at Wroxham but there are still an awful lot of boats on that river that can go up there. It seems quite sheltered too which I would imagine is a nice spot during the winter months.

I have been following someone elses diary whilst they are currently on the broads. He's doing a day by day account of everywhere they have moored eaten & drank

& he too gave a very bad review of the Rising Sun after their experience yesterday so much so they then took their custom nextdoor into the Kings Head.

When we went last year we found the atmosphere in the pub to be very cold so much so we got up and went and sat outside. We also found their prices were a lot more.

We had visited quite a few pubs & the price was pretty much the same a round at every pub. The Rising Sun we paid 65p a pint more which is quite a big difference.