Shore Power Battery Charger

Hi all, first weekend on new purchase and the shore power battery charger does not seem to work and so the leisure batteries are completely flat and after having a poodle about they soon discharge as haven't got a full charge. I have done some checks, getting 240v power to it but nothing coming out, had front off and both fuses are OK. So, can anyone recommend a replacement for this please.

20210710_144402.jpg

I use victron, its bluetooth so you can control it from your phone, see its progress and its a smart charger.

The upside of this is you can hide it away, mines under the bed.

It can also provide 12volts so you can completely disconnect the battery bank and still have power.

It charges 2 x 110amp and the starter battery.

Perhaps worth explaining my last post in more detail.

If your boat has electric fridge, 3 water pumps (fresh, toilet and shower), TV, inverter, etc., then you can count on using up to 200 amp/hours a day out of the batteries.  If you are moored for the night and have not cruised in the day, you are going to need a charger which will put all that back into the battery banks in 8 hours overnight.  The regulator will cut down the charge as the batteries "come up", so 40 amps capacity will be necessary to do the job.

Second reason is that a 40 amp charger will provide the power for the fridge and all your domestic use overnight without loading the batteries.  In the same way that, when driving your car, you turn the headlights or the wipers on and the alternator immediately compensates for the load and does not drain the batteries.

The battery in a car is fully charged at all times, which is why it lasts for so long, as it is not being "cycled" like the domestic batteries in a boat.

So a little 15 amp charger is just not enough to give you these advantages.

Edited with another thought :

Chargers (and inverters) give off a lot of heat and so they must have good ventilation.  It is no good hiding them away in a little cupboard.  They should ideally be close to a hull vent.  Bad ventilation is the most common reason for failure.

Edited by Vaughan
line added
  • Like 1

...And that's what I thought. But no.

Here's why.

Your stuff is simply not on all the time, if your fridge is on for more than 10 minutes an hour then I'll be surprised or its over loaded.

My TV draws from the inverter 35 watts which is in practice 2.5 amps and the same again after start up for the heating. The biggest user of power was the 12volt phone chargers at a solid 2 amps a used hour.

water pumps per hour? minute pushing it.

led all lights barely registers usage,

And here's the living proof. We was stranded at wroxham island for 24 hours. we watched tv as normal, showered (cold, bloody cold. lost little cheese for a long time) the fridge was fully stocked for a weeks holiday.

Plus the starter battery was drained because that moment you cant believe it wont start.

got back after being towed, plugged in.

36 amps put back into main bank and it did it easy overnight.

This is why I say people really don't need to run their engines to charge batteries while moored. You have more amps than you think. Looking deeper, the power used figure on the back of things is a solid hour. only my phone chargers worked full power all the time and even then they ramp down as the phone charges.

as to the venting of the charger, you are right. But what i meant was, you can tuck it away, mines under the well ventilated bed space but due to bluetooth, you don't need to see it. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. Batteries are 130MH so maybe need slightly bigger model?

On the bright side all are charged now and also amp output from charger is right down I assume to trickle and keep OK.

All part of the fun of a new toy.

On to next issues now :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Hi If you decide to keep your charger i advise you remove and clean all the connections and remake the spade connections, smearing the bare wire with Vaseline NOT ordinary grease,  you could have dry joints/corrosion stopping the charger from working, alternatively suggest you google Sterling products site for info and products on battery charging, with there products they do a same day repair. John

23 hours ago, annv said:

Hi If you decide to keep your charger i advise you remove and clean all the connections and remake the spade connections, smearing the bare wire with Vaseline NOT ordinary grease,  you could have dry joints/corrosion stopping the charger from working, alternatively suggest you google Sterling products site for info and products on battery charging, with there products they do a same day repair. John

Always Vaseline, i have had enough old Land Rovers to know :default_biggrin:. i will look at Sterling products thanks.