Coming Home ??

andyg

I can't help thinking that to decide the outcome of a football match on penalties is about as clever as deciding a tennis tie-break with a serving contest would be. It would be far better to decide the game on the number of red and yellow cards each side receives during the course of the match. At least that  would keep the game clean and prevent some of the cynical fouling we saw last night. If no team incurs a card, a period of extra time decided by "golden goal" could be used instead. Simple and fair.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Always amazes me that taking into account the amount of money they are given they cannot do the job properly and it's always someone else's fault. The fact that they cannot do the job properly has nothing to do with it.

All I can say is that if when I was working I produced such a pathetic result I would be out of work.

Jeff    ( NOT A ballkicking Fan)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

ah yes, the people raking in the money for the huge viewing figures, I suppse they care, but football and other sport , well thats something that would cause me to turn and walk the other way.

Not quite, viewing figures are from general public tuning in to watch. I  feel the same as you about other ball based sports.

It didn't come home but we had a great time watching it....

Strapped a TV to the back of the boat, lit the bbq and sunk a few cold ones......The result wasn't quite what we wanted but what a cracking evening we had:default_beerchug:

51307274101_0d7147e989_o.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, grendel said:

ah yes, the people raking in the money for the huge viewing figures, I suppse they care, but football and other sport , well thats something that would cause me to turn and walk the other way.

I’m not a massive football fan and my wife even less so, but we both watched the England teams progress through the competition with a sense of pride and patriotism.  Whilst sport may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it provided a diversion from the gloom and doom of the past 18 months and gave many a sense of hope.  There have been few occasions over the past few years where the country has united behind a team to such a degree.  The end result wasn’t what we hoped for, but at least we got further than in 2016.

Lets hope for some British success in the Olympics.  There are many sports that I have no interest in, but anything to give the public a reason to have pride in the people that are representing our country in such a prestigious event is surely something to be applauded.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

to be perfectly honest, when it comes to sport I would rather be watching varnish dry, I have far better things to be doing with my time than watching Sport. I have a TV on most of the time, and its tuned to Talking Pictures channel, I probably notice 1 in 10 programs shown, and sit and actively watch maybe 1 in 100.

Instead of watching sport, the last few days has culminated in the motor installation on a 1919 south bend lathe, and turning the first chips, since this is an old overhead belt driven monster, the bracket required had to support about 40 lbs of countershaft and another 30lbs of motor. doing this whiled away hours of time, and it still needs the bracket welding for full strength. to me that is fun, rather than wasting time watching a set of overpaid showoffs kicking a pigs bladder around a field, I just donrt see the attraction to sport. now boats, they are fun too.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’m not a massive football fan and my wife even less so, but we both watched the England teams progress through the competition with a sense of pride and patriotism.  Whilst sport may not be everyone’s cup of tea, it provided a diversion from the gloom and doom of the past 18 months and gave many a sense of hope.  There have been few occasions over the past few years where the country has united behind a team to such a degree.  The end result wasn’t what we hoped for, but at least we got further than in 2016.

Lets hope for some British success in the Olympics.  There are many sports that I have no interest in, but anything to give the public a reason to have pride in the people that are representing our country in such a prestigious event is surely something to be applauded.

That is my take on it exactly, word for word 👍 🍺

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

to be perfectly honest, when it comes to sport I would rather be watching varnish dry, I have far better things to be doing with my time than watching Sport. I have a TV on most of the time, and its tuned to Talking Pictures channel, I probably notice 1 in 10 programs shown, and sit and actively watch maybe 1 in 100.

Instead of watching sport, the last few days has culminated in the motor installation on a 1919 south bend lathe, and turning the first chips, since this is an old overhead belt driven monster, the bracket required had to support about 40 lbs of countershaft and another 30lbs of motor. doing this whiled away hours of time, and it still needs the bracket welding for full strength. to me that is fun, rather than wasting time watching a set of overpaid showoffs kicking a pigs bladder around a field, I just donrt see the attraction to sport. now boats, they are fun too.

Now if the TV cameras had been there, I would have tuned in! :default_sailing: