Alphacraft Boatyard At St Olaves Up For Auction

FairTmiddlin

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Snap - and from what I recall it had no curtains at the front.   Whoever buys this will have to do a lot of work on the road to and from the main road.   It is one huge pot hole.

I think Langford had a thing about front curtains we hired Thunderbolt that had no front curtains and when we had Blenheim on it’s first letting that had curtains but no tracking or fittings to attach them to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unclemike said:

jaguar had curtains

jaguar 1.JPG

I want me money back.   We certainly had no curtains and only discovered this when we moored at Berney Castle the first night.    We searched high and low but nowt.     We had to put up with that for 14 nights.   Oh for the days when you could afford to have 14 nights.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'll bet there's builders of "Executive Homes" sniffing around the site wondering who to bribe...

It would have to be Executive House Boats. The amount of flooding on the site plus it's built on very very soft marshland. They built the Haddiscoe flyover in the sixties. Then wondered why there was a hill appearing in the field next to it when they measured the ramps they had sunk by nearly a foot. lots of concrete underpinning later it stopped sinking. the ramps were resurfaced but to this day there is still a slight step in the transition from ramp to bridge.

My parents use to hire a bounty 37 from Alphacraft every Easter called jaguar. Must of been early 80s I'd stopped going away on holiday with them as I'd joined the army. My father told me all about the new boats Alphacraft had designed. I remember being due to come on on leave and my mum had talked my girlfriend into us joining them on the broads. It was on there new 35 centre cockpit boat rapide. I couldn't believe how much space there was on board the big saloon at the rear of the boat was lovely. I didn't like the bright red upholstery alpha used back then tho. Sadly we had dreadful weather that week which put my girlfriend off and it would be many years later before I'd return. Good memories of Alphacraft with my parents, especially Langford marching up and down the yard with his walkie talkie

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Jaguar, was that the 42 foot 2 berth? I remember it as a stand out boat at the time because in that era it was about 10 foot longer than any other 2 berth available.

sure was, needed a good brekkie to slide the canopy tho. was very heavy

DSCF0066.jpg

• Like 1

I had Harrier an  Alpha craft Alpha 35 with my parents in 1996, it was the last boat I had before I lost my Dad and I absolutely loved the plushness of interior. I appreciate it wouldn't be fashionable these days however I remember the 70s and 80s was a sea of vinyl on the floor and upholstery which maybe practical however I never found it comfortable and we appear to be heading back that way. This was luxury to me button back dralon upholstery carpets, tinted glass and thick dralon type curtains two toilets a mini bath. I take a look at some of the £3000 a week boats today with curtains you can shoot pees through with disdain, I like a black out curtain. Any way it was a good holiday and boat which I always had a soft spot for.

Neil

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Captain said:

I had Harrier an  Alpha craft Alpha 35 with my parents in 1996, it was the last boat I had before I lost my Dad and I absolutely loved the plushness of interior. I appreciate it wouldn't be fashionable these days however I remember the 70s and 80s was a sea of vinyl on the floor and upholstery which maybe practical however I never found it comfortable and we appear to be heading back that way. This was luxury to me button back dralon upholstery carpets, tinted glass and thick dralon type curtains two toilets a mini bath. I take a look at some of the £3000 a week boats today with curtains you can shoot pees through with disdain, I like a black out curtain. Any way it was a good holiday and boat which I always had a soft spot for.

Neil

Totally agree, they were way above anything on offer at the time. The blown air heating worked very well I seem to remember. I liked and still do like the helm arrangement on the centre cockpit. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

As to this Yard was Actioned off to theses people  Estate of Langford Jilings ? could this be a  Holiday Village  and Private Boat Moorings? this could be interesting  how all this gets developed into?

Would doubt that it would get permission to develop into a holiday village.

The access road to it, is a busy industrial estate and the entrance way is on a bend by a steeply banked bridge with traffic lights. The amount of land would not get many chalets on it either, the land is very marshy all the way around the fringe.

I can envisage something industrial but not residential in any form.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...