Making a new mould (from an old one)

when we were down on thursday we saw you team franticly moving a mould round outside the shed fascinating to watch with some accuracy.... cant wait to see this unfold like the RC45

Jonny

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont have drawings for this one, we only have the moulds a few photos and what we found on the internet we have even found some component moulds missing two gunstwo guns

Hi Jonny,

I have not been about but I hope that what you saw was the RC45 superstructure being released,

here is a update on this one too!

The superstructure is finished and some of the components, the hull mould is about half way along and the flybridge is being prepared for laminating, we hope to have a finished hull by the middle to end of January,

then we can start to put it all together :grin:

post-503-136713872887_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713872908_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on this one,

I now have new batteries in my camera so here is a photo of the finished mould the right way up on its set of wheels..

cheers

we are now finishing the surface before laying up the first hull.

post-503-136713875443_thumb.jpg

Hi Clive

this maybe a stupid question but with the plug being green with the hull be green or is it just the stuff you use for the plug that makes the plug that color (i think we need a dopy smilie) :roll:

Jonny

not a silly question but there is a good reason for it,

Basically, the mould is a different colour so that when you put the gel coat on you can see where you have missed.

normally a superstructure will be white so the mould is done in black, that way you can also see where the gel is thin so it is caught on the second coat., The hull moulds we have done in green as if we make a blue hull then it is hard to tell where you have missed against a black mould.

Basically, the mould is a different colour so that when you put the gel coat on you can see where you have missed.

normally a superstructure will be white so the mould is done in black, that way you can also see where the gel is thin so it is caught on the second coat., The hull moulds we have done in green as if we make a blue hull then it is hard to tell where you have missed against a black mould.

ahh brings lightness to the darkness thank you Sir :wave:wave

Jonny

Hi Andy,

Bookings on the new versions are not great at present as our brochure is not out yet and our agent has not worked out how their

computers work as they are not able to book any of our new additions :shocked best not comment too much there :roll:

This one is aimed a bit towards the private market although there is not really much of a market there, we have had a little interest from a couple of other yards and also an enquiry for a fishing boat but really we can justify the boat with just what we want for our fleets.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Not surprising really when you consider the state of the economy at the present time, but at least once they`re built, you will have them ready for when the economy hopefully picks up. It`s amazing how many British companies are actually prospering in these uncertain times, and those that carry on investing in their buisness deserve all the success that investment brings. And that goes for you and your team too Clive.

you forgot to mention that yards like to use green rather than black because black shows up every little tiny imperfection (not that guys will have any of those!)

Also Jonny if you didnt know the mould tool gel is alot harder than the gel used on the moulding(or product) and a shed load more expencive!

Thats right on all points but we need to see imperfections in the mould so they can be sorted. :)

I will give you that as the 'right' answer. but if you have a perfect mould tool i would like to see it!!!! I have to admit i quite enjoy the plug making stage, especialy the superstructure, right up to the point when its sprayed, then its flatting back time, this bit i can happily avoid, horrible fine dust get everywhere.

agreed, it is just a case of how long you feel you need to spend on the finishing of the mould too, the mouldings and what standard the mouldings need to be.

you will invariably get lines where the skin of the plug moves while making the mould which can be sorted, also there are usually slight ripples where the frame positions are, I have never seen mouldings without this but I assume if a plug is cut from foam then this would not have them..

• 5 weeks later...

Had a Broadland fix today to help the winter withdrawal symptons and was quite excited to see the hull on this one in works....

Looks like its going to be another cracking looking design, and a bit of added variety to the fleet...

cheersbar

Dan

post-93-136713880555_thumb.jpg

Not sure, the outside looks similar but the internal is all layed out different, that is not to say that the floor tray has not been used but the rear steps are different also the length and beam are different although I doubt a 40 foot boat would be 10 feet wide :?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Clive, do you think this hull would suit an aft cockpit superstructure, as i think it would be great to see a decent looking large aft cockpit design gliding along the rivers. The other thing is with an aft cockpit version, you would`nt have any (or many?) bridge restrictions, and wiould be able to cover most of the broads network.

nearly got a complete set of mouldings for this now, just the console and flybridge to release and it can go together.

we have some internal components to make and some other bits and bobs to make but this is where we are now...

post-503-136713881921_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713881946_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713881971_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...