• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Bridgecraft At Last

Glad to hear more people are considering syndicate ownership. We’ve been really glad we bought a share in Moonlight Shadow. Syndicate membership has its pro’s and cons, you can’t walk away from issues like you can when hiring, but we still think we made the right get move. When hiring I found it took a few days to get to ‘know’ the boat, how responsive it was and how it handled. I really like being able to ‘take off’ without any of that stress. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

Enjoyed your write up, thank you. We have been thinking about syndicate ownership as well including Thunder. But we watched Russell’s video walk through and noted his comments about head height for tall people at the helm. 

That is the downside of that design, sadly.  We hired one of the Gardenia Girls from Summercraft in 2005.  The overall concept of the Diamond 35 (and 43) is great, with a split sliding canopy to enjoy the sunshine, roomy interior and the ability to go under most Broadland bridges (Potter automatically discounted for obvious reasons).  I found the view forward and to each side to be restricted with the canopies closed, however both Thunder and Lightning have had additional windows put into them to help alleviate the side visibility issues. The problem goes away with them open, though.

I doubt if there is a design that fits all.  Low level boats (bathtubs) have restricted visibility due to their height, sedan cruisers don’t fit under all bridges, but have less gaps so fewer draughts for all weather cruising and offer better visibility, craft with centre cockpits and sliding roofs are a great compromise, but can be draughty and have the complication of the roof mechanism to go wrong (Moonlight Shadow has recently had a very expensive repair to solve a long term issue with hers).

As Helen said, syndicate ownership is an attractive proposition in a number of ways, but there aren’t many to choose from and what there are are of limited designs, so your choice is restricted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear another positive review for bridgecraft, they do get a lot of good feed back. I was really pleased to see them buy the old Alphacraft boats and put them back to work. They appear to be letting quite well for them. A new boat or two would be the icing on the cake for me. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

Enjoyed your write up, thank you. We have been thinking about syndicate ownership as well including Thunder. But we watched Russell’s video walk through and noted his comments about head height for tall people at the helm. 

It's not just the helm, Jean. My son is 6 foot 2 and couldn't stand up straight anywhere on the boat including all of the saloon. He had issues on Forth Bridge 2 as well but at least the saloon was OK for him on that. The strange thing is, I'm 6 foot 0 and I had no issues standing up on either boat, save for the forward shower room on Forth Bridge 2. It's almost as if boat builders thought 6 foot was the tallest anyone would be. The trouble is a taller boat means more air draft.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

It's almost as if boat builders thought 6 foot was the tallest anyone would be.

Thanks for the info. That confirms what we thought. This highlights again why we don’t compromise on the bed position. Some boats are better than others for head height through the boat but the need to fit on the bed or hang one’s feet over the end greatly restricts our choice. 

• Like 1