That's bad luck for Phil and the team at The Bridge Inn. We spent a week afloat last week and booked all our evening visits at least a week in advance due to our suspicions that shortage of staff would lead to less covers at most places as well as the social distancing that was still in place last week. On Monday the 12th July we walked from St Benet's to The Dog Inn Ludham only to find it closed for the day due to staff shortages.

At present if planning a walk to a pub it is worth ring ahead.

We also walked from Sutton Staithe to The Pleasure Boat only to find that shut, but that is due to renovations running late, rather than Covid.

14 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I know that The Dunes cafe is shut because of staff issues concerning Covid but not aware of any problems regarding the pub. You may be right. Best to telephone I guess.

The post is on their Facebook Website.

• Thanks 1

We were in the garden at the Swan in Horning yesterday lunchtime and they were only taking pre ordered food orders. We have eaten at The Cross Keys Dilham, The Crown Smallburgh and the Lion at Thurne this week. Good food at all three and none seemed that busy in their restaurants.

27 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Wasn`t it on the news that food staff can do a daily self test now. 

I believe that is people in the food supply chain right up to, but not including supermarket staff. I'm fairly certain is doesn't apply to hospitality which as much as I like to visit a pub, could hardly be considered essential.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marshman said:

Coldham Hall are open but are not doing food - he cannot find a chef!!!

Sod the food, try the stout!

Mr winters vanilla latte stout is bloody lovely and probably counts as a meal anyway,  we had to go back and double check it was still good.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

When will business learn that not everybody uses faceache & twatter and they need to use other ways as well.

(I thought I read that the numbers of users was dropping on faceache).

How else do you think a business can get it's temporary messages out to potential customers? A full page in the daily press? Town Criers? Cold calling? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

How else do you think a business can get it's temporary messages out to potential customers? A full page in the daily press? Town Criers? Cold calling? 

I would have thought the business needs to ring any potential bookings it needs to cancel, which I understand they did in this case. For everyone else in these uncertain times you either take a chance and turn up and hope they are open, or ring ahead and make sure.

We walked from St Benet's to The Dog Inn at Ludham two Mondays ago only to find it closed due to staff shortages, so we carried on walking and visited The Kings Arms instead. We also walked to The Pleasureboat from Sutton and found that closed for renovations, so visited The Greyhound instead. If I'd bothered to ring ahead or in the case of The Pleasureboat checked Facebook I would have known, but whilst a pint after a walk was nice it wasn't essential so we took our chances.

On the other hand all the evening meals we had during that week were pre booked and in some cases two weeks in advance.  

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

I would have thought the business needs to ring any potential bookings it needs to cancel, which I understand they did in this case. For everyone else in these uncertain times you either take a chance and turn up and hope they are open, or ring ahead and make sure.

Absolutely. My point being that you don't have much room for complaint when in today's information age, details of temporary closure, menu changes, service changes and other such things can be disseminated very quickly and cheaply by a business though things like FaceBook and Twitter if you choose not to use FaceBook or Twitter.  

When will people who choose not to use Twitter and Facebook realise that the onus is not on a pub to desperately try and contact every possible potential customer with a bit of information that may not be of interest to them? 

If you want to go to a pub, cafe, shop etc during the pingdemic, it's prudent to make sure they're open and serving what you want to consume before making your plans. 

• Like 3