Weather

Hylander

Been from North Walsham to Beccles and back, via Wroxham/ Reedham on the outward leg and Reedham/ Potter back. Evidently been heavy rain in places but only got a bit heavy at Smallburgh on the way back. Not much at home but nice double rainbow to boot. Lovely view of the sugar beet factory when you come over the hill at Norton Subcourse with a black sky behind. Hear it was bad in Thetford last night, histatoristically one of the driest parts of the country! Reminds me of summer of 1995 albeit not quite as hot generally, 21 degrees when I set out at 4, 12 degrees when I got back at 7.

i watched part of a program on tv last night about our world today

the scientist fellow who does these things said change has been going on for billions of years, not only our earth but

the full solar system,  he compared earth with mars and the changes there in the past billion years,  we are the only blue

planet left in this solar system, meaning we have water and thankfully 70% of the earths surface is covered in water

• Like 3

1 minute ago, gancanny said:

i watched part of a program on tv last night about our world today

the scientist fellow who does these things said change has been going on for billions of years, not only our earth but

the full solar system,  he compared earth with mars and the changes there in the past billion years,  we are the only blue

planet left in this solar system, meaning we have water and thankfully 70% of the earths surface is covered in water

I like to see balanced views of things like climate change where most of us haven't a clue about the science of it, only personal opinions and wishful thinking. I just hope that political correctness doesn't stifle intelligent, open debate, as it often does.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SwanR said:

Now it’s passed over there’s a beautiful evening sky. The sun’s quite low and the evenings seem to be drawing in a little. 

We noticed a couple of mornings ago that it isn't as bright when we are taking the dog for his morning walks and the sun is setting earlier.

Autumn is definitely on it's way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

climate change is a part of the planets cycles, its been hotter before now, it will be again, huge tree stumps reappearing from under receding ice sheets prove this, all we can do is minimise our impact on this, it is useless to think we can change it. for example 50 million years ago the average temperature was 14 deg c hotter than today, its all well and good people showing graphs of temperature rise over the last 100 years, but , thats just an eye blink in geological time, we are only just getting to temperatures last seen 2 million years back, which were dropping back down at that time. climate change is nothing new, in reality its as old as the planet

1920px-All_palaeotemps.svg.png

• Like 2

we get shown a graph of temperature rising looking like this20200324_Global_average_temperature_-_NASA-GISS_HadCrut_NOAA_Japan_BerkeleyE.svg.png

oh shock horror, but then they have cut the previous few hundred years off the graph

proxy-based_temperature_reconstruction.png

hmm doesnt look so bad now we see they conveniently stopped showing the data at the lowest point on the second graph, and then you look at the scale where the average variance over the graph is  0.5 deg C either way. Then we get a week of warm weather, and this is cited as evidence of climate change.

while I wont dispute that climate change exists, or that mankinds input has caused some of it , I do however dispute some of the 'facts' used to show it, especially some of those that state its worse than it has ever been, no, I think +14 degrees C is far worse.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

we get shown a graph of temperature rising looking like this20200324_Global_average_temperature_-_NASA-GISS_HadCrut_NOAA_Japan_BerkeleyE.svg.png

oh shock horror, but then they have cut the previous few hundred years off the graph

proxy-based_temperature_reconstruction.png

hmm doesnt look so bad now we see they conveniently stopped showing the data at the lowest point on the second graph, and then you look at the scale where the average variance over the graph is  0.5 deg C either way. Then we get a week of warm weather, and this is cited as evidence of climate change.

while I wont dispute that climate change exists, or that mankinds input has caused some of it , I do however dispute some of the 'facts' used to show it, especially some of those that state its worse than it has ever been, no, I think +14 degrees C is far worse.

It looks to me as if the reason the upper graph starts where it does is because it's only showing actual measured results, whereas the bottom graph covers a longer time period because they've added reconstructed measurements from before people were doing measurements.

6 minutes ago, Coryton said:

It looks to me as if the reason the upper graph starts where it does is because it's only showing actual measured results, whereas the bottom graph covers a longer time period because they've added reconstructed measurements from before people were doing measurements.

possibly, but that doesnt change the validity of the data, we may have a greater variance on the figures from the earlier data, but  its still convenient to show the problem they want to highlight to start their graph at that point.

We have finally had a day of rain here.

Changed our plans for going out in the van this weekend. Swapped from somewhere parking on grass to somewhere parking on tarmac.

Didn't fancy sinking it :default_biggrin: