Electric ‘yacht’

YnysMon

This video blew my mind.

I wasn’t sure whether to post this here or the technical section, but anyway it shows what is possible if you have a lot of money and a big vision. By the way, the technical explanation of how many batteries/solar panels etc doesn’t start until half way in.

I guess it helps that they get a smidge more sun than Norfolk! 

• Like 3

The issue as I see it is that broads bots do not have the roof area to hold enough panels for sustainable cruising, and that we dont have the sunshine in enough quantity to guarantee a full charge, even if there were enough panels, I can see on the canals with bigger roofs and the ability to stop for several days on a mooring until you are fully charged it might work, but on the broads with only 24 hour moorings and less roof space, I dont think its viable. I recall seeing a narrow boating youtube video where a trial was carried out, and they said that even with a roof full of panels it would take them 3 days to replenish the batteries after a full days cruise.

• Like 3