How Much Is Your Toll ??

Swordfish

Is this just another attempt to get a BA bashing thread going? That the toll is zero is not really any different from what happend with the road tax.

Courtesy of wikipedia "Various classes and uses of vehicle are provided with a tax disk without charge. These include: electrically propelled vehicles, vehicles constructed before 1973, trams, vehicles which cannot convey people, police vehicles, fire engines, ambulances and health service vehicles, mine rescue vehicles, lifeboat vehicles, certain road construction and maintenance vehicles, vehicles for disabled people, certain agricultural and land maintenance vehicles, road gritters and snow ploughs, vehicles undergoing statutory tests, vehicles imported by members of foreign armed forces, and crown vehicles."

As has been said, if tax or toll was payable, we'd end up paying for it anyway.

Is this just another attempt to get a BA bashing thread going?

Maybe it is quite necessary to " bash " the BA when respected and knowledgable people in the boating world are quoted in the local boating press as saying " The Authority is running out of control

No one is suggesting for one minute that a dredging or clearing vessel employed in the up jeep of the Broads SHOULD pay a toll but Broads Authority bashing - quite frankly yes, the guys you speak to there on the whole are pretty good at what they do and helpful however as an authority they are running amok seeing us boaters as the 'motorist' of the broads to use your analogy. After reneging on a promise regarding propping up the coffers from the toll account it wouldn't surprise me to see GATSO style cameras along the Yare and a parking warden hiding around every corner ready to slap a PCN on your boat for illegal or overstayed parking before long!

Actually as far as 'Broads knocking' goes, I applied for a position that was advertised on the Navigation Committee, now I know it is the norm to not bother replying to applicants these days but I would have thought that, for such an important position, they would have dignified me with at least some sort of acknowledgment or response - unfortunately all that has happened is that everyone's fears have been realised in that the positions have been filled from 'the boys club' and the advertising of positions was a 'legal necessity' rather than a genuine request for 'new blood'

Broads knocking - at this moment in time - yes, our tolls are high for the small mileage of waterway they run, but unlike other organisations it seems their main effort is not navigation but instead veering toward politics and personal gain for many

Yes, the BA is far from perfect, and the now very well publicised "toll raid" is atrocious, reneging on umpteen previous assurances.

Brian's forum has however been refreshingly clear of constant reminders of their shortcomings.

After reneging on a promise regarding propping up the coffers from the toll account it wouldn't surprise me to see GATSO style cameras along the Yare and a parking warden hiding around every corner ready to slap a PCN on your boat for illegal or overstayed parking before long!

Hi, MY littleboat,

There's no need to wait for the " boat " version of the PCN, I have got one I can show you. This was Wednesday this week.

post-1207-136713839597_thumb.jpg

post-1207-136713839607_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Swordfish, (i must apollogise to you, as i called you Barracuda in another post on another thread :oops::oops: ) What was he looking at on his pad, and did he start asking you any private details?. Regards .......... Neil.

Hi Swordfish, (i must apollogise to you, as i called you Barracuda in another post on another thread :oops::oops: ) What was he looking at on his pad, and did he start asking you any private details?. Regards .......... Neil.

Hi Neil,

" private details " ? Oh yes, everything written on the " ticket ", except my inside leg measurement. Sorry but I cannot post full details of the matter yet, as I will be dealing with it via another more formal route. Regards, Paul

Swordfish, HI

May I ask what on earth you had been accused of to warrant this?

Hello Friday Girl, I was moored in a " No Mooring " area, something like a double yellow line area, but on the river. The boats opposite did not get tickets though ! Regards, Paul

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Just what the Broads need, .............. Another bloody jobsworth. Personally, i would have refused to sign it and buggered off and moored elsewhere. Then when you hear from them again, just ask them to provide evidence of any alledged offence, such as photographic evidence etc, and when they can`t produce it, hit them with a counter summons such as harrasment. You can bet your bottom dollar, if you were one of Brinks big boats moored in the same place with half a dozen strapping lads being rowdy, he would have gone the other way. A bit like those infamous litter patrol officers, who stop frail old people who quite innocently drop something on the foot path when they get their handkerchief out of their pocket and get hit with a fixed penalty of £50, yet when there`s a group of drunken yobs throwing empty beer bottles smashing to the ground, they run and hide. Not only Jobsworths, but cowardly jobsworths at that two gunstwo gunstwo gunstwo guns . What was it people were saying about wasting taxpayers money?, or am i being just a tad synical again?. Regards to all ..................... Neil.

Hi Neil,

Re your last post, my sentiments exactly. No problem with the mistake of the name, quite close as its another similar fish. I enjoy eating swordfish, have not yet tried Barracuda, but might have to change the name of the boat if I like the taste. --- Oh, but that would then cause big problems with the BA paperwork. Regards Paul

"

but cowardly jobsworths

Rather a sweeping supposition Neil.

I've seen BA rangers dealing with plenty of rowdy boatloads of Yobs, why should we accuse this one without any evidence ?

I would guess he didn't ticket the boats on the opposite bank because they are all private moorings, from Carrow Bridge to Bishops Bridge.

I'm sorry Swordfish got a "parking ticket" and I wouldn't like one either, but without knowing more than Swordfish has been able to say, I don't think it's fair to rubbish the Ranger to that extent.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Strowager, as i said at the end of my post, i`m a bit synical, but then history has often proved people like me are often right more often than wrong. The one thing we on the forum CAN be assured of, and that is that YOU will always jump to the BA`s defence, even when they`ve gone back on their word and ripped off the boat owners yet again. Me thinks you may have a connection with the BA, if not, why do you ALWAYS jump to their defence? They don`t exactly do anything of major importance for boat owners, such as taking legal action over Nr for refusing to keep the swing bridges in working order and ensuring they work properly and can be opened upon request at ANY time, or ensuring the rivers are properly dredged to enable a safe depth for navigation, or requesting that a group of fishermen move away from their own 24 hour moorings so boats can moor and their crews not get any verbal or physical abuse when they ask them to move. Sorry Strow, but if you`re always going to jump to the defence of the BA instead of joining the mass of boat owners and protest against them, then all you get from me when it has a massive affect on you is a regular "I TOLD YOU SO".

YOU will always jump to the BA`s defence

Strowager, the suspected fifth columnist again.... :)

I've made many posts on various forums both for and also against the BA. I just focus on the the few real negative issues, rather than slagging them off for everything that they do.

Hi All,

I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Let me clarify my origional post: The BA barge was moored in a PUBLIC 24 hour mooring area, it has been there for over one week, with the weed cutter tied alongside. Neither of them have moved this week during the normal " working day ". Weed was being cut 2-3 weeks ago closer to the centre of Norwich, outside Dragonfly House actually. When I passed, all the 24 hour mooring area was full. When a boat then gets closer to the City centre we see the new Riverside Development, with BA " No Mooring " signs everywhere.

As a boat owner, who pays for a permanent mooring, and the BA Toll, I will never pay the BA again to moor at Norwich Yacht Station, particularly if I only wish to moor for 1-2 hours. The Yacht Station does of course have a well documented history re. boat security. When on our rivers, is it not considered " normal " to moor outside the estabisment you wish to eat or drink at ? So why do we have a Riverside Development with " NO MOORING " ?

I well understand that overnight mooring may not be appropiate in this area, but what is the problem with 1-2 hours ? I only entered the " Ticket " reference into this matter because MY littleboat suggested we may see this soon, but as I have said earlier, I am dealing with this whole issue via a different route

I feel that the BA have made Norwich a " no-go" area for boats unles you pay them more money. How many Cities / Towns in England would love to have a river running through them ? and would then actively encourage boating.

• 2 months later...

Hey Swordfish. Its lucky i stumbled upon your post. I regularly moor at the same spot (outside the whetherspoon if im correct) to pop in for a meal and a drink. Ive yet to receieve any problems but i may of been lucky that no rangers went past. I did get a rollocking though when i stopped near riverside gym because my fishing box had spilled open in my inflatable luckily no fine though

Hey Swordfish. Its lucky i stumbled upon your post. I regularly moor at the same spot (outside the whetherspoon if im correct) to pop in for a meal and a drink. Ive yet to receive any problems but i may of been lucky that no rangers went past. I did get a rollocking though when i stopped near riverside gym because my fishing box had spilled open in my inflatable luckily no fine though

I've also considered that (stopping outside the Queen of the Iceni) but this original thread dissuaded me on the grounds that the BA have the ultimate sanction of withdrawing your licence......... don't they? :cry:cry:cry

The reason why the 'No Mooring' signs are along that length of the river is that the moorings were sold and belong to the developers and although, to date, no rights have been passed on to any residents, the moorings remain a part of tenure of the freeholders. To that end the BA maintain the policy with vengance as, although many of the apartments dont exactly have ABC1 leaseholders, they have bought with the unhindered view included. And without the noise from the party boats.

Inversely they see the crap heaps parked on the other side of the river and have the drunken youth emptying from the likes of Spoonies, Liquid and the like running around the quay at three in the morning!.

Paul - I would be very interested in the details of your notice as I have often seen the BA launch tied up there and on one occasion a few years ago saw the occupants in the 'all you can eat' chinese filling their faces at the time! (Used to work in a bar there so spent alot of time at Riverside)

Regarding the YS moorings. The cost is inhibitive, but moreso are in a poor state. Free moorings? Yep right, it seems that one or two boats continually move around them, especially one (no names, no pack drill) that has no toll paid but becuase one of the occupants has a young baby that requires frequent hospital treatment, and because of the intervention of the local authority, have been allowed to both stay on moorings in excess of the prescribed 24 hrs, and secondly are 'overlooked' by the rangers.... Norwich the home of the river err.. what do you call them? Travellers? Although I do agree that the welfare of the child must come first in this instance why not accomodate them at the YS instead and leave the 24hr free? A future question for Dragons Den House no doubt.

• 3 months later...

I just recieved a renewal from the BA, £255 for a 31' boat, not bad considering the EA want just under £400 for great ouse and nene and an extra 10% if I want to navigate the extra 5 miles into cambridge, robbing ba5tards!! Only benefit is a 14 day visitor licence for the thames for free.

As long as I get a mooring sorted I'll be round there in may and the EA can whistle for their money.