With All The Utensils To Cooking

Andrewcook

I did forgot to say about the Crockery on Board Boats none but worse still small mugs  and Cups to which your Tea or Coffee with a touch of Rum don't go far for having a refresher as I always had to bring my own  Large Mug to quench my thirst and s wee bit of room for my daily ration of Rum to be added in when I'm back on the Broads as Arnold Schwarzenegger says

• Haha 1

Andrew, It has been said on several threads in the past, that it's a good idea to have a box of things to bring with you. The problem waws that so many people had so many things to put into that box, it would have sunk most hire boats. I probably didn't help y adding that there was never a decent decanter on the boats.

Hard to believe now, but when we were kids in the 60’s, pubs generally did not serve food. You might get a sandwich and crisps, but that was about it. I can remember as a family being on board, Dad would moor up anywhere near a pub and with me and my brother in tow head off to said pub in the dinghy, while Mum cooked lunch (mostly a full roast).

You may wonder why my brother and I went, as kids weren’t allowed in pubs in those days…yes it was to row the old man back to the boat!😎

11 hours ago, grendel said:

Lol I can remember being sat outside pubs with that rare treat fizzy lemonade, and those pubs that did serve food it was always a ploughmans, dry bread, cheese and limp lettuce

We always went for the “red” drink, no idea now what that was, plus a packet of crisps - Smiths - with salt in a blue bag. Favourite spot was the “Boat and Bottle” in Thorpe St Andrews

to get back to the original topic, I have had no issues with cooking aboard any boats, hire or private, I have always managed to cook cheese and bacon turnovers, and even home made bread aboard, sometimes things can take a little longer, or need turning half way through, but the end result has always been good

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . .  plus a packet of crisps - Smiths - with salt in a blue bag . . . . . . . .

Do you mean the salt in the blue paper square that was twisted into a little parcel?  The salt was always damp and came out in a lump.

This thread has definitely morfed back to the 70’s.

My family didn’t do pubs, not till the mid 70’s anyway (you need to remember I grew up in Anglesey, the last place to allow pubs to open on Sundays).

The first pub meals I remember were chicken in a basket and scampi and chips.

Luckily for me, in my early teens, my mother had a ‘friend’ who had a habit of turning up on our doorstep at weekends and taking us (me as well as my Mum!) out on a whim out for lunch or dinner to various restaurants. I’ve never ever eaten out so much in my life, so am an expert on 1970’s restaurant cuisine. (In rural Anglesey. LOL)

He was such a lovely generous man, but so spontaneous. A lot more affluent than we were too. He changed his car every few months. I remember being crammed into the back seat of a Lotus something.  It didn’t quite work out in the long term for my Mam and ‘her friend’. Sometimes ‘spontaneous’ can get a bit wearing. Fun though! 

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Do you mean the salt in the blue paper square that was twisted into a little parcel?  The salt was always damp and came out in a lump.

Yes, I do. And you’re right it was always damp! And BTW the Smiths crisp factory was, I think located, on North Quay Gt Yarmouth, clearly visible from the river.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bluebell said:

We always went for the “red” drink, no idea now what that was, plus a packet of crisps - Smiths - with salt in a blue bag. Favourite spot was the “Boat and Bottle” in Thorpe St Andrews

Was the red drink 'Vimto'.?

10 hours ago, YnysMon said:

This thread has definitely morfed back to the 70’s.

My family didn’t do pubs, not till the mid 70’s anyway (you need to remember I grew up in Anglesey, the last place to allow pubs to open on Sundays).

The first pub meals I remember were chicken in a basket and scampi and chips.

Luckily for me, in my early teens, my mother had a ‘friend’ who had a habit of turning up on our doorstep at weekends and taking us (me as well as my Mum!) out on a whim out for lunch or dinner to various restaurants. I’ve never ever eaten out so much in my life, so am an expert on 1970’s restaurant cuisine. (In rural Anglesey. LOL)

He was such a lovely generous man, but so spontaneous. A lot more affluent than we were too. He changed his car every few months. I remember being crammed into the back seat of a Lotus something.  It didn’t quite work out in the long term for my Mam and ‘her friend’. Sometimes ‘spontaneous’ can get a bit wearing. Fun though! 

For some reason soup in a basket never caught on!:default_biggrin:

No surprise to many of you I suspect however we plan on cooking on board most of the time the occasional deck barbecue and once in a while Tapas ( wonderful) or a pub. In the autumn to combine two threads sitting in the stern well, music playing food on the go talking and enjoying life is rarely beaten as a good evening.

We have a fully stocked larder under the sink, a pan drawer under the cooker and can make anything we like and frequently do. 

One of the most memorable was steak, chips with salad and home made onion rings I shared with Jim (bluebell) at one may get together in Salhouse. 

We also have a Yorkshire pudding tin dedicated to the boat so Fiona who is queen of yorkshires ( I have photographic evidence) makes a full beef roast with roasties and so on. 

ok that’s done me enough food talk time for breakfast.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Malanka said:

We have a fully stocked larder under the sink, a pan drawer under the cooker and can make anything we like and frequently do.

Same here. That’s the nice thing about having your own boat, you can have exactly what you want on it. 

• Like 1

A few good points have been raised take a few Tins just in case No Moorings of fresh provisions but Packet of Soups are much better to store as for Fridges Bacon / Sausages and Mushrooms and Eggs Butter With own non stick Frying with the smell of cooking it waffling out of the Boat. 

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

A few good points have been raised take a few Tins just in case No Moorings of fresh provisions but Packet of Soups are much better to store as for Fridges Bacon / Sausages and Mushrooms and Eggs Butter With own non stick Frying with the smell of cooking it waffling out of the Boat. 

I think the smell of bacon wafting across a river in the early morning is one of the nicest things. Not quite so later in the day though, bbq smells are better then. 

• Like 2