Pacifics Cruiser New Boat

Matthew12

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

As an aside, Silver Harmony is not as good as Silver Symphony, in that the steering position is underneath the fixed part of the forward canopy. With the sides rolled back, you're just too far forward to get the open view. (That's hard to explain!) 

Totally agree with Davids comments about steering position on Harmony. Symphony would always be my first choice. Built for Harbour Cruisers to the standard Opel configuration, it then passed to Swan Craft and then Silverline who completely refitted her. Silver Coral is an updated but not that much better (in my opinion) version.

Always found the yard very friendly and professional. It does run like clockwork however and you are one of the cogs. The amount of regimentation may not appeal to everyone however but it does produce a brilliant end result.

Fred

45 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Speaking as a private owner post hirer. I have had cause to drop in to Silverlines yard to gain easy access to Peachments just behind. We called, asked if we could drop in, despite there being a single space in the yard ( it was packed and it was a windy summer day)  they said of course anytime. 

We arrived and Mr and Mrs were sitting on the wooden bench outside the office eating sandwiches out of silver foil packets, they were welcoming , helpful and so happy with life it made my day to meet them. Wonderful people.

M&F 

Hired from them several times and have absolutely no issues. Efficient yard, with immaculate boats, and helpful staff. The last hire boat we had was Silver Myth which we took to Beccles for what was then the Vintage Wooden Boat Show. It was whilst at that show that we decided to buy our boat. We have also moored at their yard for a few hours and found the owners very welcoming. 

4 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Never hired from Silverline, but this is the first time that I have heard anything remotely negative about them.

In fact there have been one or two adverse comments on the forum in the last few years, which I have always seen as unfortunate.

The problem here is that one naturally expects "personal" service from a small family boatyard, that one might not find from the big hire fleets turning out up to a hundred boats in an afternoon.

In reality, and from my experience of running both, there is no actual difference.  A big yard like Ricko's is run in sections, where the team all know their own boats, they have serviced them themselves and they have enough time in the afternoon to receive their customers and look after them.  I suggest that, on average, you won't get better or more personal service than from Ricko's.

On the small yard, you are dealing with the owners, often a husband and wife team and in many cases there may  only be one or two other members of staff.  They have done all the servicing and cleaning themselves, they have repaired the damage done to their property by the clods who hired them last week and they are very proud of the product that they are offering.  Of course they are falling over themselves to offer a personal and family welcome but adverse comment can so easily be taken personally.

Above all the small yards depend very much on regular customers, so they would certainly not wish to put anyone off.

If anyone feels that their reception when hiring from a small yard has been abrupt or below par in some way, just reflect for a moment on what your own attitude might have done to wind them up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Have Silverline expanded their fleet? Either that or they are getting a lot more bookings. We seem to be seeing a lot more of their boats year on year (southern Broads obviously). 

They have been adding at least one new boat each year for quite sometime now. I've just noticed a couple of there current alpha 35ft are showing no availability for next season even in late October 22,so there may be one or two new boats in the pipeline. Personally I think they are the best looking fleet on the broads always immaculately turned out. I've only ever moored there I've never hired from them, they have always been More then welcoming. 

• Like 2

Silverline have two boats for sale on NBS, but not either Alpha 35. These boats were for sale last year along with another which did sell. Silverline do seem to have a sustainable policy of fleet renewal. But does anyone know. If they put 2/3 boats up for sale do they want to sell all of them, or do they want to sell just one and once one is sold they withdraw the others?

Yeah sorry, got the size wrong, I can't see them selling 4 boats without replacing some of them. They are a very popular fleet, must be something in the pipeline. They do normally post on fb if they are building a new boat. I bet they will be a good buy for someone very well maintained boats. 

When we called there for water last month the owners were very personable. When I checked with them if they were happy with solo hirers with experience they responded positively and offered for me to look aboard the three boats they had on turnaround. That experience influenced my decision to book with them for next year and I have Silver Mirage next April.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, andyg said:

Yeah sorry, got the size wrong, I can't see them selling 4 boats without replacing some of them. They are a very popular fleet, must be something in the pipeline. They do normally post on fb if they are building a new boat. I bet they will be a good buy for someone very well maintained boats. 

I think they may have another boat in build similar to Silver Solitaire as the mould was sitting outside their sheds last year.  We saw it being taken down The Bure towards Yarmouth when we were onboard Norfolk Lady in November 2019.  Silver Solitaire was still being built at the time.

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

When we called there for water last month the owners were very personable. When I checked with them if they were happy with solo hirers with experience they responded positively and offered for me to look aboard the three boats they had on turnaround. That experience influenced my decision to book with them for next year and I have Silver Mirage next April.

This is a classic procedure!

People used to think that Hoseasons' boats were not welcome on Blakes yards, and vice versa - not true!

Anyone could moor up and if you made them welcome and got chatting, you could show them round one of your own boats, if you had one in and hey presto! - a new customer for next year, and without paying the full agency commission.

Traditionally we have always felt, on the Broads, that we are not in competition with each other.  Our completion is other forms of holiday, such as foreign packages.  Once you can get them onto the Broads they will probably stay as regulars. After that, the individual boatyard offerings, will surely sell themselves!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I think they may have another boat in build similar to Silver Solitaire as the mould was sitting outside their sheds last year

Silver Solitaire has very little availability for next year. Cleary popular. Makes sense to build another.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Regulo said:

Wow, is that what they cost these days?

She is one of the earlier versions with very narrow saloon side windows.  The windows on newer boats are almost twice as deep and give a much more modern appearance.  If doing a full re-fit it is possible to fit the new type windows if you want to spend the money.

I suspect that the interior has been carpeted as the varnished bulkheads had become too weathered. It is very difficult indeed to scrape off plywood and re-varnish it, without going through the first veneer.  Also, anyone who has tried it will know that you can't paint over varnish!

• Like 1

Andy,

I hired Princess last year and she is a good boat. Spirit was brought in to replace here ironically an older design of boat however a newer build and a newer version built by Crown at Somerleyton for France with the bigger saloon window. Looked on Princess many years ago and she has had many changes internally since, John Williams of Stalham fitted her out (1986) in the style of a 70s narrow boat. I think he started in the narrowboat world however I maybe wrong, it didn't really suit Princess which was covered in wood panels really dark and depressing interior. Richard replaced the headlinings amongst other things such as the galley and engine. I have to admit probably does need a another refresh now though. Confusingly the new boat effectively replaces Moonlight/Dawn even though they were sold some time ago

Neil

• Like 2

I've no doubt she's been well cared for by Pacific, but it's not to my taste and at an asking price of 40k I don't see it as good value. That said the old Gainsborough girl ( one of my favourite hire boats similar to Princess) needed a refit in my opinion. I know a few years back they were toying with the idea along with the gala girls Gainsborough let really well. 

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Wow, is that what they cost these days?

She is one of the earlier versions with very narrow saloon side windows.  The windows on newer boats are almost twice as deep and give a much more modern appearance.  If doing a full re-fit it is possible to fit the new type windows if you want to spend the money.

I suspect that the interior has been carpeted as the varnished bulkheads had become too weathered. It is very difficult indeed to scrape off plywood and re-varnish it, without going through the first veneer.  Also, anyone who has tried it will know that you can't paint over varnish!

I have the same boat but with a nauighties refit. I didn't pay that for it and neither did the guy I got it from. I am often amazed at the asking price of the 32ft version which is often £40k plus. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

I have the same boat but with a nauighties refit. I didn't pay that for it and neither did the guy I got it from. I am often amazed at the asking price of the 32ft version which is often £40k plus. 

Glad to hear you still own it Andy, I remember you saying how much you liked it. 

10 minutes ago, andyg said:

Glad to hear you still own it Andy, I remember you saying how much you liked it. 

Haven't been near it this year though. I have a plot of land just down from the old yard but I don't want to run into someone down there who a legendarily unpleasant individual and one of the key reasons I closed the business. He helped send me into depression and the thought of bumping into him is not nice 

• Sad 2

When I was looking to buy in 1998, I looked at Princess, as the yard at that time was considering closing. I was not impressed then, very dark inside, dark wood panelling across the roof where there's normally a double skylight. An odd fit-out, but high standard of workmanship. Not for me, but the yard continued anyway. We never got as far as price.

I've just sold Sunbird (the 32' version) for a little more than Princess's asking price. These prices can't last surely?

40 minutes ago, Regulo said:

When I was looking to buy in 1998, I looked at Princess, as the yard at that time was considering closing. I was not impressed then, very dark inside, dark wood panelling across the roof where there's normally a double skylight. An odd fit-out, but high standard of workmanship. Not for me, but the yard continued anyway. We never got as far as price.

I've just sold Sunbird (the 32' version) for a little more than Princess's asking price. These prices can't last surely?

Sunbird is a cut above the rest though, I thought she represented great value tbh given the specs and quality of work carried out on her, you couldn't buy a cheap one and do all that for less than the asking price, looked long n hard at her round at NYA and online but the pockets simply weren't forthcoming with the necessaries(a common issue of mine:facepalm:).