Herbert Woods 770 For Sale At Jones Boatyard

Matthew12

They are ideal boats for there. 

We always thought the Broads type boats would suit the Fossdyke, Witham and Trent but not that many seem to have made their way over there yet.

There are one or two but not loads. Spotted a centre cockpit Alpha 35 in Farndon Marina at the weekend that looked very smart.

There are loads of Broads/ Broads type boats on the Fens including this Starlight which joined me in a lock in 2019. Must have spotted at least 8 Sancerres in May this year. 1 or 2 wind boats similar to Merrywind also I see 1 for sale. Plenty of Sheer lines of various sizes aft and centre steer. Hordes of very nice Ocean 30 aft or centre steer, Hampton Safari mk 2 and 3. Classic cruisers of Thorpe. A Caribbean or two. Westward 38. Aquafibre 32 dual steer ex Woods originally Colin Facey. A Coral Emblem from Ernest Collins plus other similar ex Moore's boats. I was also surprised to see an Alpha 35 centre cockpit outside Wicken Fen nature reserve on Reach lode and an Horizon 35 round the corner. Plenty of others however I will be here all night.

Neil

1 hour ago, andyg said:

Hired one of these from woods last week, obviously not to this spec. But they are a very good compact boat. Idea for a couple. 

What boat did you have Andy?

we’re on Princes of Light later this year, similar-ish I think 

17 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Prince of Light is a Starlight 29, the day boats are Starlight 24, both Andrew Wolstenholme designs. 

1 hour ago, Captain said:

There are loads of Broads/ Broads type boats on the Fens including this Starlight which joined me in a lock in 2019. Must have spotted at least 8 Sancerres in May this year. 1 or 2 wind boats similar to Merrywind also I see 1 for sale. Plenty of Sheer lines of various sizes aft and centre steer. Hordes of very nice Ocean 30 aft or centre steer, Hampton Safari mk 2 and 3. Classic cruisers of Thorpe. A Caribbean or two. Westward 38. Aquafibre 32 dual steer ex Woods originally Colin Facey. A Coral Emblem from Ernest Collins plus other similar ex Moore's boats. I was also surprised to see an Alpha 35 centre cockpit outside Wicken Fen nature reserve on Reach lode and an Horizon 35 round the corner. Plenty of others however I will be here all night.

Neil

Yeah i have seen loads of safaris and ocean 30s about and a few broom skippers too, there is also a dc30 

10 hours ago, 750XL said:

The difference between the picnic boats and the cruisers is the platform at the rear and of course the fit out, so the guys at woods told us but basically the same mould/ boat. They let us look onboard adventuring light 3 which had literally just been put in the water. They are very compact but plenty big enough for a couple. They are fitted out to a very good standard, there was no soft furnishings onboard as she was still waiting for her final clean down after coming out of the shed. For me they are a moden take on a Hampton safari and seem to be very popular. They told me they have built nearly 20 of them so far, both picnic boats cruisers. There is a new mould sitting in the shed awaiting fit out. Apparently they hadn't made the decision on weather it would be a cruiser or picnic boat. 

They are obviously very popular. Next time we hire on the Broads I do think it will be one of the 29's and then it will be fingers crossed that the tides allow us to get under Potter Heigham bridge for a couple of days :) 

18 minutes ago, Captain said:

Hi 

According to the Herbert Woods website the next new build will be Ruby Light 2 another Starlight 29 to be available from November 21. At which point they will have 16 in the hire fleet 9 24s and 7 29s

Neil

I'm not sure if that info is upto date as there is already nine starlights in service, I'm pretty sure there's two ruby lights as well. The next starlight will be the 10th. 

Thanks for all the replies and information, they do seem to be good little boats.

4 hours ago, Cal said:

They are obviously very popular. Next time we hire on the Broads I do think it will be one of the 29's and then it will be fingers crossed that the tides allow us to get under Potter Heigham bridge for a couple of days :) 

Airdraft is, I think, 6ft 5". Is this realistically ever going to get under Potter other than during long summer periods without rain, on a biggest of spring tides?

We're there in October but I haven't even entertained the thought of getting under Potter?

29 minutes ago, 750XL said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Airdraft is, I think, 6ft 5". Is this realistically ever going to get under Potter other than during long summer periods without rain, on a biggest of spring tides?

We're there in October but I haven't even entertained the thought of getting under Potter?

Frankly, unlikely.  If you want to go under Potter, I’d pre book a day boat for the end of your holiday and have an extra day to explore the other side of the bridge.

4B27BEA3-8279-42F1-ADFD-8547432AF256.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Thanks for all the replies and information, they do seem to be good little boats.

Airdraft is, I think, 6ft 5". Is this realistically ever going to get under Potter other than during long summer periods without rain, on a biggest of spring tides?

Sure it is possible. We have been through in larger boats in the past.

What's the air draft on an Alpha 29/31? We have been through in a couple of those in the past. (Admittedly not in the last few years as we have either been on our own boat or hired larger dual steer or centre cockpit boats instead)

36 minutes ago, Cal said:

Sure it is possible. We have been through in larger boats in the past.

What's the air draft on an Alpha 29/31? We have been through in a couple of those in the past. (Admittedly not in the last few years as we have either been on our own boat or hired larger dual steer or centre cockpit boats instead)

Boatyards say alpha 29s are 6ft 10 in, not sure if its accurate but i would say there about

Edited by Matthew12

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/broom-dc-30-for-sale/671280

There is also a dc30 for sale at st neots

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/broom-dc-30-for-sale/670267

One at Buckden marina aswell, many broads boats around on the river gret ouse and some norfolk broads day boats for hire there, on at the pike and eel looks ex bank boats 

Airdraft is a commonly used term however rarely is it valid or accurate unless it takes into account circumstances. Every hire boat has perhaps three airdrafts what I mean is the measured airdraft, the airdraft needed for Potter/ Wroxham which is as much to with the width and shape of the superstructure as anything else. Then finally the height on the dash quoted by the yard which usually has a few inches tacked on to allow for the arched bridges and to protect their pride and joy worth 5 or 6 figures, oh and that s before you throw in some of bridge gauges which may or may not be accurate. 

As far as I know and I am sure it varies according to individual boats however an Alpha 29/31 is around 6ft 4 or 5 however needs atleast 6ft 8 for Potter and the boatyard s usually state between 6ft 10 and 7ft 3. I went through Potter on Evening light  an Alpha 31 in 2010/1  and Graham the pilot stated it needed 6ft 8. Unfortunately we rarely see 6ft 6 these days. Saying that the Woods 29ft Starlight is probably one of the Lowest hire boats left that isn't a Martham boat 

Neil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Airdraft is a commonly used term however rarely is it valid or accurate unless it takes into account circumstances. Every hire boat has perhaps three airdrafts what I mean is the measured airdraft, the airdraft needed for Potter/ Wroxham which is as much to with the width and shape of the superstructure as anything else. Then finally the height on the dash quoted by the yard which usually has a few inches tacked on to allow for the arched bridges and to protect their pride and joy worth 5 or 6 figures, oh and that s before you throw in some of bridge gauges which may or may not be accurate. 

As far as I know and I am sure it varies according to individual boats however an Alpha 29/31 is around 6ft 4 or 5 however needs atleast 6ft 8 for Potter and the boatyard s usually state between 6ft 10 and 7ft 3. I went through Potter on Evening light  an Alpha 31 in 2010/1  and Graham the pilot stated it needed 6ft 8. Unfortunately we rarely see 6ft 6 these days. Saying that the Woods 29ft Starlight is probably one of the Lowest hire boats left that isn't a Martham boat 

Neil

Very informative post, thank you for sharing 

RS2021 - The 10' beam should also help with Potter. It would be interesting to see if anyone has actual experience of going through Potter.

Plenty of times although sadly nowadays it is becoming a rare event, I need 6ft5" to get 'B.A' safely through, I can theoretically get her through at 6ft3" but would hate to have to try her at that.  Plenty of videos on Youtube of her passing under PHB

Griff