Considering Joining A Syndicate At Some Point

Ally

37 minutes ago, Ally said:

Is it nerve wracking? It must be lovely though travelling when others are moored up and you’ve the river to yourself! 

It's weird when you haven't done it before, but you soon realise your eyes are amazing and you start to see things as if it was daylight

We loved the calm and relaxed early morning cruise

Conversely I once cruised from Acle in daylight but thick morning fog towards Great Yarmouth and I hated it and will never do that again

Thankfully by the time we got to GY it was blue skies, but travelling in foggy conditions was a mistake!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I seem to recall Alan (who runs the syndicate) saying it needs 9 foot 6 so you're OK at Great Yarmouth at low water.

4 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Just keep looking! I’m sure you’ll get lucky sooner or later.

I’m not sure how I’ve managed to get 2 quotes but thanks for the information re Ranworth breeze. Looks like there’s no shares at the moment. 
yes I really hope to get sorted one day! Always something else pops up. What’s so annoying is I can spend that much on a week on the Broads as the cost of the syndicate. It’s just that it’s also the additional potential costs too for any further things going wrong on the syndicate boat.  Will keep looking and hoping. Thank you! 

Keep an eye on the forum as when shares in syndicate boats come up for sale the members often post about it on here .

As far as extra costs go , any of these syndicates would allow you to view their accounts prior to purchasing a share , in fact if I remember correctly , when they advertise the shares they also list the expenses for the previous season in the information included 

You do have to be prepared for additional costs in a syndicate. Boats need to be kept up to scratch and updated.

On Moonlight Shadow we replaced carpets and kitchen flooring last year and are currently replacing the engine, but the costs are shared between members. The past few years part of our monthly costs have been put into a contingency fund (as agreed at each AGM) so as we have partly drawn down from that the expense per year hasn’t been too bad.

The way I look at it is that I’m glad I’m not bearing the full cost, as we would if we owned our own boat. 

• Love 1

It depends on how the members collectively decide to cover expenses, and which items of work the syndicate commits to. The annual budget is agreed to collectively at the AGM.

In our case this year we had a vote on whether to install a new engine and then we voted on whether to split the expense of a new engine between our fund and each member contributing their share of the remainder. Everyone has a say in decisions, and we discuss options during the AGM, but we abide by the majority decision. I was quite apprehensive before the first AGM that we attended, I was wondering if it would be difficult to reach decisions, but our experience having attended three of them has been good.

I’m sure all the other syndicates agree on budgets and work to be done in a similar manner.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ally said:

With Ranworth Breeze is it ever possible to get to the north broads? 
thanks, 

Ally. 

Hello Ally,

Ranworth Breeze has an air draft of 9 foot 8 inches so we allow for 10 foot clearance at the bridges especially the ones at Yarmouth. Usually a full moon is the best time for guaranteed passage through Yarmouth, the Broads Authority website tide table we find t be the best because it gives you the height of the low water twice a day.

Regards

Alan

17 hours ago, Ally said:

I’m not sure how I’ve managed to get 2 quotes but thanks for the information re Ranworth breeze. Looks like there’s no shares at the moment. 
yes I really hope to get sorted one day! Always something else pops up. What’s so annoying is I can spend that much on a week on the Broads as the cost of the syndicate. It’s just that it’s also the additional potential costs too for any further things going wrong on the syndicate boat.  Will keep looking and hoping. Thank you! 

Hello Ally,

We do have a standard share for sale at the moment.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the information. That makes sense.  I’d rather be aware of all this before taking the decision. 

thanks for your help. 

19 hours ago, YnysMon said:

It depends on how the members collectively decide to cover expenses, and which items of work the syndicate commits to. The annual budget is agreed to collectively at the AGM.

In our case this year we had a vote on whether to install a new engine and then we voted on whether to split the expense of a new engine between our fund and each member contributing their share of the remainder. Everyone has a say in decisions, and we discuss options during the AGM, but we abide by the majority decision. I was quite apprehensive before the first AGM that we attended, I was wondering if it would be difficult to reach decisions, but our experience having attended three of them has been good.

I’m sure all the other syndicates agree on budgets and work to be done in a similar manner.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 20:18, YnysMon said:

On Moonlight Shadow we replaced carpets and kitchen flooring last year and are currently replacing the engine, but the costs are shared between members.

I'm pleased to hear Moonlight is getting some TLC - I viewed her a couple of years back and thought she looked pretty unloved internally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I'm pleased to hear Moonlight is getting some TLC - I viewed her a couple of years back and thought she looked pretty unloved internally.

A lot of the more ‘long-standing’ members of the syndicate have left now, for various reasons.  We bought our original full share in August 2018 and now there are only three shares owned by members who have been there longer than us.  As a result, with new blood there, there seems to be a willingness to get things done and invest in the boat.  We were looking at new upholstery in the saloon and curtains throughout this year, but the engine has obviously taken priority now.

I think she looks quite presentable to be honest.29537F90-C008-4714-BCCB-724A1E2FD60C.thumb.jpeg.fe373c8c608ccf78d3a20c6c92b68042.jpeg

8469A74D-ABA4-46E7-8987-95D70E6C06DD.jpeg

41F262B3-10AB-4A12-94B8-5E1C34137C7B.jpeg

31FF69D1-4416-459A-A5F0-90BDDA18B58B.jpeg

118BA25B-E38C-44EB-9CE5-0B1F97577C02.jpeg

BF19BF86-F461-409A-9863-CC37F2C3AEC2.jpeg

0149F1D9-D7D3-4A2B-BBE7-36BE6D020F5C.jpeg

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, garryn said:

Looking at Moonlight Shadows spec. she last had a new engine in 2014. I know share boats get a lot of use but doesn't seem  a long time to need another one.

The original engine (an ageing Perkins)  was reconditioned in 2014.  I don’t know what was done and where it was rebuilt.   One of the long standing members suggested reconditioning it again during the discussions to decide how we were going to progress.  Thankfully, he was out voted.  Don’t forget that Moonlight Shadow is available to its owners to be used 50 weeks per year, the other two given over to winter maintenance.  Most hire craft would only be used from Easter until October, so potentially about half of what ours could be in use.

A brand new Nanni 50hp motor should be good for at least another 10+ years, with regular servicing and be more economical and quieter in use.  Even with the additional costs per syndicate member, four weeks afloat will still be significantly cheaper than hiring a similar craft for the same periods.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I’ve yet to see any of the syndicate boats looking less than splendid , they’re all an example of how a boat should be cared for .

we have 4 on the Horning Pleasurecraft moorings and I would tend to agree

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mouldy said:

A lot of the more ‘long-standing’ members of the syndicate have left now, for various reasons.  We bought our original full share in August 2018 and now there are only three shares owned by members who have been there longer than us.  As a result, with new blood there, there seems to be a willingness to get things done and invest in the boat.  We were looking at new upholstery in the saloon and curtains throughout this year, but the engine has obviously taken priority now.

I think she looks quite presentable to be honest.

Yeah, that's a good improvement on when I saw her. Good to hear she's getting the investment she needed as I think she's a lovely boat.

14 hours ago, Mouldy said:

The original engine (an ageing Perkins)  was reconditioned in 2014.  I don’t know what was done and where it was rebuilt.   One of the long standing members suggested reconditioning it again during the discussions to decide how we were going to progress.  Thankfully, he was out voted.  Don’t forget that Moonlight Shadow is available to its owners to be used 50 weeks per year, the other two given over to winter maintenance.  Most hire craft would only be used from Easter until October, so potentially about half of what ours could be in use.

A brand new Nanni 50hp motor should be good for at least another 10+ years, with regular servicing and be more economical and quieter in use.  Even with the additional costs per syndicate member, four weeks afloat will still be significantly cheaper than hiring a similar craft for the same periods.

A Pearl 38 with a Nanni 50 in will be a lovely thing and give you better response and quieter running. It should handle really nicely, too.

If you're currently running a three-bladed prop then you may find you need to switch to a four as the Nanni will naturally want to rev higher than the Perkins. Before Thunder's prop was swapped, we could get to nearly 4000rpm on the N4.50 and were doing 2000rpm at 5mph.

That's obviously not good for fuel economy or engine life. Broom were adamant this change did not need doing. It has subsequently been done by HPC, who replaced the engine.

• Like 2

2000rpm at 5mph.

Wow, that's a bit high.  Was the gearbox a 2:1 reduction or something else?

From the lessons I've learnt I'm informed that the max shaft speed (Without injected water cooling) where you having packing rings in a gland is 1300rpm and no more otherwise it overheats and wears out the packing rings rather quickly

We ourselves are just under the limit with a slightly over-propped 4 x blade, max revs in deep water from the 50hp Beta gives us around 2'450 via the 2:1 reduction box = 1'225 shaft rpm  Of course it is rarely run flat out and then for not too long on Breydon or when on the green n crinckly stuff

Griff

It was a 2.1:1, yeah. The boat originally had a three-bladed prop because that better suited what the Perkins MC42 could swing.

When the Nanni 50 was mated to the same box (Borg Warner), it had very different characteristics as you'd imagine. They've since put a four-bladed prop on and I gather all is good, with the revs coming down several hundred rpm.

• Like 1